Is a shotgun "useless"?

This is a discussion on Is a shotgun "useless"? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was in a discussion with someone who mentioned that a shotgun is not a long gun of first choice. He would rather have a ...

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: Is a shotgun "useless"?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Is a shotgun "useless"?

I was in a discussion with someone who mentioned that a shotgun is not a long gun of first choice. He would rather have a combat rifle. His reasoning was that you can put more ammo down range with a rifle (30 rounds vs. 6-7 of a shotgun), it is faster to reload, can carry more reloads, has a longer range, is lighter and more maneuverable. He also mentioned that if he had no other long gun, a shotgun would do, but his preference is a rifle.

Thoughts.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Saiga 12
    HotGuns, Katana and zero like this.

VIP Member
    It depends on the role.

It is obviously not useless.
    Tayopo, DIRO305 and awoodpd13 like this.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Which would have more capability of instant incapacitation? Honest question. I've seen what a slug can do to a deer, but I have never harvested one with a rifle.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

LOL .... if three guys are rushing thru your door at the same time, which would you rather have in your hands...... the rifle, or the shotgun.

I'ld take the shotgun every time ....... much harder to "miss", especially at close range.

Burglar / intruder in your house , at night, it's dark ..... you want the rifle or the shotgun in your hands ? You don't know if there is only one person, or more.

I asked a guy once, if he knew the difference between a shotgun and a rifle.
    He said, " I THINK I do".
    My answer: The rifle is in case you missed with the shotgun and they're still running. (an old joke).
    Tayopo and rdpG19 like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

That's like claiming a pneumatic staple gun is useless because a glue gun is lighter and can be used with more materials. Each tool has its purpose.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    "The problem with trusting quotes on the internet is they're so hard to authenticate." - Benjamin Franklin

Truthfully a shotgun at close range has a very tight pattern under 10 yards. It's not going to throw a wide spray. I can see the point of having more ammo in a combat rifle. I really wouldn't feel under gunned with either weapon.
    Doodle, Tayopo, DIRO305 and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    In a fight between 10 and 50 yds Id think a shot gun with proper ammo would be "King" of the fight stoppers! At less than 10 yds a hand gun and over 50 yds Id want a rifle. they are just tools. Picking the right tool for the job is what we do. If I had to pick just one to use in a fight it would be the rifle. But the rifle just isn't practical to carry around all the time. DR
    Tayopo and Hoganbeg like this.

Useless? Heck, no! BG's breaking my doors down, if I have more than a couple of seconds to react I'm grabbing the shotgun. 4 rounds in the mag and a bandoleer next to it in the closet, 1.5 steps from where I sleep.

If I hear a disturbance in the street - i.e., at a greater distance - then I'll reach for the AR and the phone, and sit tight waiting for the gendarmes to show up.
    Tayopo likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

About the only time one is pretty much useless is when it is empty.....
    Sledge, Tayopo, Caertaker and 1 others like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

It's not a binary decision, it's not a choice between useless and unbeatable.

For most instances if both were side by side I'd grab the AR. If the shotgun was in reach and the AR was across the room, I'd grab the shotgun.

The points your friend made were valid and as he said, preference is a rifle but I'd not feel hopeless with a shotgun.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Depends on the mission at hand. When you're talking about carrying reloads it implies movement and possible contact at distances ranging from close combat out to 300 yards or so (which is usually the limit of effective aimed fire for an assault type rifle). In that case I'd agree that the shotgun is far from ideal. Sure you can run slugs, have rifle sights on your shotgun and possibly stay in the fight for most of that range, but it isn't the ideal weapon. But if you're talking up close and personal and you're somewhat positive that the hostage rescue shot isn't in the cards the shotty is pretty close to THE answer. 12 gauge 00 buck is going to take the fight out of someone pretty danged quick. The shotgun is my preferred home defense weapon for a reason. But if I have to "bug out" the rifle is my go to gun.
    Doodle and Tayopo like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Assuming an AR in .223/.300 Blackout type chambering: He forgot lighter recoil and faster follow-ups/2nd target acquisition and less "overpenetration".

How is it harder to miss with a shotgun when there is no to minimal spread of buckshot at inside the home distances and it's easier to maneuver/swing an AR?

That said, if I knew I was going to have multiple intruders in a kill box (stairwell, hallway with no doors nearby) a shotgun with slugs would probably be ideal; but then again, an AR in 458 SOCOM would do the same job.

However, the shotgun is far from useless.

I am much more proficient with an AR. Certainly my choice with proper ammo.
    Tangle likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Links