Just picked up my first AR15, what to do now?

This is a discussion on Just picked up my first AR15, what to do now? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I haven't read every post so I don't know if this has been covered but This youtube has what sounds like some good info. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Just picked up my first AR15, what to do now?

I haven't read every post so I don't know if this has been covered but This youtube has what sounds like some good info. I downloaded a couple of the targets and will following this sighting method as soon as I get the chance.

How to Zero your AR15 / M4 / M16A2 Platform: Mechanical Zero & the 25m Target - YouTube

Then I plan on burning a few hundred rounds followed by cleaning the snot out it. Repeat as necessary.

2. Remove Ads

I only have experience with these D&H magazines, but they have served me very well.

I'll have to try out some P mags in the future.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    I'm a freak, I run GI mags more than anything else. PMAGs are good. Magpul are good. But I've only had one GI mag give me trouble and they're much cheaper when you want a bunch of them.

First things first- get a sling. You can get a high speed 1 point or 3 point sling if you choose. I have a simple 2 point nylon sling and it works for me.

I differ from many here, I say go ahead and get your optics as soon as you can. This being the 21st century and all I don't see much need in a fighting rifle having only iron sights. You can grab an Aimpoint, EOTech, or even a Burris if you want to save a little money. My optic is worth more than the rifle it is sitting on I suppose, but I love it.

After than I agree with everyone else. Run the rifle and see what you think you'd like/need/want. I personally hate forward grips so my rifle doesn't have one. I do like having a light and laser, so I have those. As you run the gun you'll learn what you do and don't like.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

well here's an option
    geared_out_AR15.jpg
    munch520 and pittypat21 like this.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

ARs are a blast to shoot. Put some lead down it. I know where you can get pmags w/o windows for $10 each. I'm gonna buy several more at that price.

Enjoy your new weapon!

Quote Originally Posted by reade View Post
    I haven't read every post so I don't know if this has been covered but This youtube has what sounds like some good info. I downloaded a couple of the targets and will following this sighting method as soon as I get the chance.

How to Zero your AR15 / M4 / M16A2 Platform: Mechanical Zero & the 25m Target - YouTube

Then I plan on burning a few hundred rounds followed by cleaning the snot out it. Repeat as necessary.
    Good video. I'd also recommend looking into the 100m zero. Described well here by Kyle Defoor: Proper battle rifle zero- From Navy Seal Kyle Defoor - YouTube

Understanding the zero methodology is also important, good reading here from Molon
    AR-15 Zeros and Trajectories - M4Carbine.net Forums

and more here from Jack Leuba
    Zen of the 100 Meter Zero - M4Carbine.net Forums
    atctimmy and reade like this.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

I don't know what your skill or knowledge level is, but working as a RSO a the local gun club, I see all sorts of people every week. A lot of people have AR15s, but do not even (surprisingly) know how the weapon functions, even in the most basic ways. If you have little to no experience with assault type rifles, get some basic training on the weapon (not just how to shoot, but how it works). Heck, find some good videos on youtube even (choose wisely, though!).

If you do have experience and know what you're doing, disregard.

As far as your other questions, don't get too excited about "tricking" it out. A lot of people go a bit overboard with some of the things they put on their rifles. Definitely get some railed hand guards, and put a good flash light on it. I've never used a foregrip before, but I know a lot of people like them. I don't see it as a very necessary item.

As far as sights/optics, don't skimp on a good optic. It's better to save up and purchase a good quality optic than to buy now and spend $100 on a low quality one. You don't want to run into problems like batteries dying quickly, being unable to zero because of bad mounts, etc. As far as iron sights go, if your iron sights are purely meant as backup sights, what you have is great. I'm assuming since your rear sight is a flip up that you can't adjust for elevation with it. If that's the case, then I would personally get a rear sight that you can make those elevation adjustments with.

I'm not sure what the best magazines out there are, but my wife and I use P-Mags and we love them.

Lastly, I'd find someone somewhere near you that teaches combat/tactical style courses so you and your AR can bond and become best of friends. It may save your life one day, and the least you can do for it is learn how to use it properly!
    munch520 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Well said pittypat21!

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The only mod I would add before you are familiar with it, is a good sling, like the Vickers VTAC.
    That's a great point and definite 'must have'. I got mine (padded, QD sockets looped in) used off eBay for around $50. You can get em new I suppose, although I see no benefit.

Here's some others:
    vickers sling | eBay

You can of course buy them new from retailers as well!

I have a LE6920 and right now I have it mostly bone stock. I bought it in one of the Magpul packages that Colt is putting out. I like the Magpul grip and stock a lot more than a standard grip and stock. As for a rail I don't want or need one. The Magpul handguard has slots in it that allow you to attach a small section of rails so you can add a flashlight. Personally I have no use for quad rails. I'm not going to hand a bunch of stuff on it. The whole purpose of a carbine is to be light and nimble. The only mods I plan on doing is I changed the nylon sling to a Blue Force Gear VCAS sling. I like how its easy to adjust length. The other thing I'm going to do is add a Bravo Company Mod 4 charging handle. I'm eventually going to get an Aimpoint or an ACOG for it.

As for mags I only run PMags so far. I have some old USGI 20 and 30 rounders I haven't used yet. I need to rebuild the 30's with new springs and Magpul followers. I have also heard good things about Lancer L5AWR mags. They are also polymer and have steel covering the feedlips. I have heard good things about these mags to. A couple of good companies for mags is D&H, NHMTG, and of course PMags. From what I have heard I would stay away from the new issue mags with the tan follower. I had a friend who was training to go to AFG earlier this year. He said it didn't matter what type of ammo or how clean the rifle was it would keep malfunctioning. Cases would get lodged in the receiver and he said other weird malfunctions that normally don't happen. He said everyone was having this happen. He said he got rid of those and got mags with the green follower. He also bought 10-12 PMags before he deployed and its all he uses. He only brought the GI mags in case someone threw a fit about them. He said since he's been there the metal mags are almost nonexistent. Everyone is using PMags.

As for the other debate give me a carbine with a light on it. I can shoot it with the stock short and get around better than I can with my shotgun. Recoil is easily controlled and follow up shots are quicker. If you look around there are many good self defense rounds.

So I just got back from firing the AR15 with a friend of mine. Didn't shoot it a ton, just 100 rounds. So far so good, no malfunctions and seemed to shoot straight enough.

This is my first time shooting an AR, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I felt what seemed to be the bolt slamming as I shot inside the gun. It feels very similar to the sensation you get when you drop the bolt using the bolt catch lever. I knew it was the bolt because I felt the motion cease half way on the last round due to the bolt locking back on the magazine. I guess the way to describe the whole experience is you first feel the recoil, and like a fraction of a millisecond later you feel the bolt drop. Doesn't seem to affect how the gun feeds and ejects (no malfunctions), just an interesting feeling. Watching a video my friend took of my shooting the rifle, nothing unusual appears to be happening to the bolt from the outside.

I assumed it was normal because the gun functions just fine, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

New toy (tongue in cheek), your are just hyper aware.

When I am uber focused on marksmanship shooting, I don't even notice the report, but I do hear and feel the action cycling, and trigger reset.

ETA - When you can tell the difference between another round cambering, and a locked bolt, that is a good thing. Then you will know without looking when there is a malfunction, what the malfunction likely is, and now you must learn what to do about it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I just got mine last week. Ordered a .22 conversion kit for it yesterday so I can shoot it all I want. Only takes about 30 seconds to go from .223 to .22 or vice versa. Borrowed my buddies kit and used it in my AR yesterday and had a blast. Very accurate as well. I highly recommend that as your first add on.
    Donnie D

Quote Originally Posted by remington79 View Post
    As for mags I only run PMags so far. I have some old USGI 20 and 30 rounders I haven't used yet. I need to rebuild the 30's with new springs and Magpul followers.
    I wouldn't spend too much time on those GI mags. Even with the better springs and green followers, they're still a PITA to seat on a closed bolt and I've cut myself more than once on those damn feed lips. Save yourself the time, money, and hassle. Voice of experience

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    So I just got back from firing the AR15 with a friend of mine. Didn't shoot it a ton, just 100 rounds. So far so good, no malfunctions and seemed to shoot straight enough.

This is my first time shooting an AR, so I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I felt what seemed to be the bolt slamming as I shot inside the gun. It feels very similar to the sensation you get when you drop the bolt using the bolt catch lever. I knew it was the bolt because I felt the motion cease half way on the last round due to the bolt locking back on the magazine. I guess the way to describe the whole experience is you first feel the recoil, and like a fraction of a millisecond later you feel the bolt drop. Doesn't seem to affect how the gun feeds and ejects (no malfunctions), just an interesting feeling. Watching a video my friend took of my shooting the rifle, nothing unusual appears to be happening to the bolt from the outside.

I assumed it was normal because the gun functions just fine, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
    Definitely normal and that 'feeling' will vary based on the ammunition you're shooting, your gas port, buffer weight, and action spring age. For example, if I shoot an underpowered round like PMC 55gr for a while, and then switch to XM193 I definitely notice the cycle stages. With something like PMC, the firing sequence is pretty smooth, with 193 I can almost feel the buffer ('driven' by the BCG) hit the back of the RE, and can also feel the bolt slam back into battery.

There's a few steps to the process, as you've noted already, and this guy does a great job of outlining them. His other videos and tests are also pretty interesting.
    Phases of AR-15 Recoil As They Affect The Shooter - YouTube

Buy a vault from Cheaper than Dirt so you can hide it when Obama gets re-elected and reinstitutes the assault weapon ban....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links