SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15 - Page 2

SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15

This is a discussion on SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pick the one you like. Each platform has strengths and weaknesses that don't amount to a hill of beans as far as most applications are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15

Pick the one you like. Each platform has strengths and weaknesses that don't amount to a hill of beans as far as most applications are concerned.

Pick the one that suits your needs, and think for yourself, don't listen to all the hoopla.
    I have both, and I don't have a dog in this fight. I like them both, but the mini 14 is really my favorite for my own reasons, which may not be applicable to someone else's.

Think for yourself. Choose for yourself.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array VBVAGUY's Avatar
    If you can find a used Mini 14 for a good price I would take that over the AR. Also from my limited research the Mini 14 is reliable, though not as accurate over long distances like the AR, but probably more than good enough for 90% of the shooters out there. God Bless

One thing to consider is the cost of magazines (you can't ever have too many). AR magazines are cheap (comparatively) and easy to find. Not so much with the Mini 14. As for accuracy: In the Corps, we fired the AR from 500 yards or 500 meters (depending on the base range) every year for annual re-qualification. Hitting a man sized target 10 out of 10 from that distance (iron sights) was/is quite common.
    atctimmy likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    One thing to consider is the cost of magazines (you can't ever have too many). AR magazines are cheap (comparatively) and easy to find. Not so much with the Mini 14. As for accuracy: In the Corps, we fired the AR from 500 yards or 500 meters (depending on the base range) every year for annual re-qualification. Hitting a man sized target 10 out of 10 from that distance (iron sights) was/is quite common.
    Agree with the mag cost and availability, but my thought is in a SHTF scenario, would you need to take the 500 yrd shot or would advoidance be the more prudent thing to do. At 100-150yrd range where the newer mini's hold their own, you would have a harder time not being seen and/or advoid the bad situation. Do you need a 500 yrd carbine? At home defense ranges, is that needed? If a mini would be a "more" relaible carbine that can protect you at 100-150yrds, would that be enough? A mini goes bang everytime with all types of ammo, steel and brass. I have seen many ARs jam up using steel ammo.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Some of the Mini's advantages...

* The op rod keeps hot dirty gases out of the action, which both aids reliability and makes cleaning easier

* It breaks down into large pieces for cleaning that are difficult to lose

* the mag release and safety are ambidextrous, making it more lefty-friendly

* The chamber can be easily reached in the event of a malfunction

* It does not look like an eeeevil assault rifle (assuming you get one with a wooden stock) - THIS MATTERS IN CALI!

* If the S really HTF and you are out of ammo, the steel/wood Mini is going to be a very effective hand-to-hand implement for butt stroking someone to the head - try that with an AR and it will likely end up in broken plastic/aluminum pieces

To address some points made in this thread -

* The newer Mini 14s (with the tapered barrel) are plenty accurate. As in 5-rd, sub 2 inch group, at 100 yards, with a scope - using el cheapo ammo.

* Ruger has factory 10 rd mags available. Saw them recently at Cheaper than Dirt for $25 ea. Not exactly too costly.

Either will work for the application. However, being in CA - I would strongly encourage the OP to look hard at the Mini with wood furniture.

And BTW - your current lever gun will work too.
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 16th, 2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: added info
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Some of the Mini's advantages...

* The op rod keeps hot dirty gases out of the action, which both aids reliability and makes cleaning easier

* It breaks down into large pieces for cleaning that are difficult to lose

* the mag release and safety are ambidextrous, making it more lefty-friendly

* The chamber can be easily reached in the event of a malfunction

* It does not look like an eeeevil assault rifle (assuming you get one with a wooden stock) - THIS MATTERS IN CALI!

* If the S really HTF and you are out of ammo, the steel/wood Mini is going to be a very effective hand-to-hand implement for butt stroking someone to the head - try that with an AR and it will likely end up in broken plastic/aluminum pieces

To address some points made in this thread -

* The newer Mini 14s (with the tapered barrel) are plenty accurate. As in 5-rd, sub 2 inch group, at 100 yards, with a scope - using el cheapo ammo.

* Ruger has factory 10 rd mags available. Saw them recently at Cheaper than Dirt for $25 ea. Not exactly too costly.

Either will work for the application. However, being in CA - I would strongly encourage the OP to look hard at the Mini with wood furniture.

And BTW - your current lever gun will work too.
    Thanks Glockman and 10th. The one thing I like about the Mini is the fact that it breaks down into less parts. That could be important in a true SHTF senario. This would be a BUG OUT gun for me. If I can't defend my family and home with the arsenal I have aquired over the past few months then I doubt the AR would have made a difference. I like a KISS approach and reliability is IMPORTANT to me. Thats why I went with the Marlin 1894 lever action to back up my S&W 686+ 4 inch. I like the Mini ranch rifle and a 5 round magizine would be ok. I belive the prior homeowner in my house burried a few 20 round magazines in my backyard, Im sure my dog would find them if SHTF.

To be honest I dont know if I need either of the rifles. I want one of them though. Im happy with all my other firearms purchases and they were easy decisions but this one Im torn between the two. Something keeps drawing be back to the Mini 14. At this point the AR is a bit intimidating to me. I belive I could become proficent with the Mini 14 quicker. If I get another rifle it will probably be the Mini 14, If time permits I will add the AR later. Thanks to all for your input and Im still interested in what you have to say.
    10thmtn likes this.

An AR will run dirty & wet or clean & dry but has a tougher time dealing with dirty & dry. A Mini, much like an AK, will run steel-cased ammo & full of sand slurry. I like the AR platform. But you don't see many thrown behind the seat in the dirty, dusty cab of a combine or lashed to an Alaskan snowmobile exposed to the weather. That's the Mini 14's element.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    I have both. Given the current environment in CA, if I were there, I would definately go with the Mini 14. There is too much political jockeying on the AR platform right now and if one of them is made illegal, it would, most likely, be the AR. In CA, I would also go with the wood stock as that looks more like a traditional rifle. Either will work fine for your intended purpose, but the political baggage in CA on the AR would make me stay away - or move away.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Check out stag arms. I got my model 2 for $800

The AR will hold its value better.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks Glockman and 10th.

You are welcome.

Thats why I went with the Marlin 1894 lever

A good choice
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

This is a post I made from an identical thread (AR 15 or Mini 14 ) and all my opinions still stand........

I like the mini (especially the tactical version) for several reasons.....
    *its a nice balance between the accuracy of an AR and the dependability of an AK
    - I can shoot 2 inch groups at 100yds with the 581 series, tapered barrel
    - the action is damn difficult to get "too dirty"
    *the tactical version has a side collapsing stock which makes it easy to transport in a car (something you can't really do with an AR)
    - I realize this may only come in handy in specific situations and that you give up solidity in the stock which would be handy if, like mentioned above, you ever needed to buttstroke someone
    *with the 4 included picatinny rails you can attach anything you would ever need-- including scope, RDS, lights, lasers, foregrip, bipod
    - not that i will ever hang all that stuff, but its nice to have options
    - this particular model addresses others' concern of not being able to add after market accessories
    *the shear simplicity and ruggedness of the design (easy to maintain, few pieces to loose, will run in all sorts of environments)
    *Ruger has great customer service, although their proprietary stance on several components (firing pins, magazines...) is frustrating to say the least.
    *I was able to pick up my tactical version, with decent scope, foregrip (in case firing with the stock folded becomes necessary), 2 30round magazines, 2 20 round magazines for under $700 at a local gun show. I was considering an AR but as I looked into the Mini I realized it is a very viable option and will serve the
    purpose that most would expect of their AR.

This is not to say that I don't dream of a nice AR, but the Mini suits my needs and I got a great deal. Just sayin.....
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"Mini 14 as it seams to be a more rugged rifle with less parts to loose or get broke"
    lol....

pmags are 10 to 13 each... old GI's are like 6$
    i can get tons of spare parts for a AR...
    a good AR will shoot .5 or better...

non of those this are true for a mini...

VIP Member
    I have owned both. My preference is the newer minis for shtf for many reasons mentioned in the thread. Both a great rifles, both have operating envelops. Pick the one that best meets your needs and don't worry what others think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links