SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15

This is a discussion on SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Im looking to compleat my "toolbox" with a long range rifle. I'm considering the mini 14 ranch rifle or a Windham AR15. I would appreaciate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15

SHTF: Mini 14 vs AR15

Im looking to compleat my "toolbox" with a long range rifle. I'm considering the mini 14 ranch rifle or a Windham AR15. I would appreaciate your input. Primary purpose other than FUN is for a SHTF senario. I could not see useing this for general home defense unless society breaks down which I am worried about.

I'm leaning toward the Mini 14 as it seams to be a more rugged rifle with less parts to loose or get broke. I will keep either option simple and only add optics. Either one of these rifles would shoot better than me for a while untill I get some training/experiance under my belt.

What are the pros/cons of each in your opinion? Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

The mini 14 is nowhere near as durable or reliable as an AR. They're ok rifles, but not on the same level as an AR. Why Windham and not BCM, Colt or similar?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I'm not set on anything yet. I have no experince. Talk to me, please give me specifics. I would like recommendations for AR rifles but looking to keep it around $1000 or less w/o optics.

VIP Member
    Im looking to compleat my "toolbox" with a long range rifle.
    One question. What does "long range" mean to you? Your definition of "long range" will help us put you on the right track.

Mini 14 is cool, but pales in inherent accuracy, versatility, carryability (a word?) and durability to any well-made AR.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

I would consider a Mini14 if there were more of a cost difference. Right now, for the slightly more you pay for the AR it is absolutely worth it IMO. (likely better accuracy, cheaper mags, cheaper and more accessories, better sight/optic options, etc).
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Since you are speaking of other than fun you should consider magazine size mini 14 is only 5 and AR15 is 10(because you are in CA). You should be able to find a decent AR15 for $1000 or less. You will get various opinions to what brand on this forum but most will be based on personal preference. Myself, I have a Colt M4 Carbine and I am happy with it. In the end what brand you should purchase your own.

You might want to check reviews of the various models of the weapons on the internet to get a feel for them.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

For $1,000 or less, I'd put together a 16" midlength BCM with their blem lower and complete upper with the Magpul MOE handguard. The other option would be a Colt 6920, but the $985 is closer to $1,100 now.

Then there PSA, but I'd really try to get into the BCM first.

From there, you can do whatever you want. Swap hand guards, change the furniture, add any accessory you want, etc. But, I'd start there and figure out what I need as I go. Well, I'd start there but add a Surefire light right out of the box. you can add one in a quality mount for well under $150.

Whatever you want to know, just ask.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    One question. What does "long range" mean to you? Your definition of "long range" will help us put you on the right track.
    If I could reach out and touch somebody at 300 yards I feel my defenses would be adequate. My brother has an assortment of longer range big game rifles. Myself, I have a 10/22 and marlin 1894 .357 mag. Just looking for a bit more reach.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    If I could reach out and touch somebody at 300 yards I feel my defenses would be adequate. My brother has an assortment of longer range big game rifles. Myself, I have a 10/22 and marlin 1894 .357 mag. Just looking for a bit more reach.
    OK. 300 yds or less would be doable by either a mini or an AR. I'd say that I like Mini 14s but they are over priced. Like others have said the ARs are better and with such a small difference in price it's worth it.

A good AR can be had for $750 and a great one can be had for around $1K. Look here before you buy.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like you kept me from making a mistake. I'll take your advice and look into the AR.

"Selecting a single "ideal rifle" is not easy. The AR-15 series of rifles comes out ahead when compared to everything else. In the text that follows, this article will attempt to justify that decision, as well as to take it a step further and specify a single configuration of the AR-15 that is "ideal".
    Read more at: :: Articles
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

If you wanted to go with a Mini-14, I would just skip it entirely and get yourself an SKS. The SKS is an inexpensive but very reliable carbine. Otherwise get an AR. The AR is a lot lighter.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The mini 14 is nowhere near as durable or reliable as an AR. They're ok rifles, but not on the same level as an AR. Why Windham and not BCM, Colt or similar?
    I would have to respectfully disagree with the first part of this statement. Having had the opportunity to own and shoot both, the Mini-14, in my opinion, is every bit as durable and reliable, and may be more so of both, over the AR platform.

Where the AR is really going to outperform the Mini, is accuracy, especially beyond 100 yards. I've scoped and shot my Mini at 300 yards and at that distance the average AR is probably going to provide better accuracy. Hitting a man sized target at 300 would be doable at that distance but you would probably see a degradation of accuracy if you were talking about continuous repeated shots at that distance.

If it were me making the choice all over again, I'd probably want to look at some of offerings at Palmetto State Armory. They have some really good sales and if you don't mind waiting a few weeks, you'll probably find whatever configuration you want on sale.

Ammunition, Magazines, Rifle Parts, Bulk Ammo and Rifle Accessories - Palmetto State Armory

I think you could probably choose either and be happy, but the options available to the AR platform make it a more versatile choice; especially if you decide that you want a dedicated scoped 300 yard rifle and a second rifle for social applications.

Senior Moderator
    If it was good enough for Mr T MR T.jpg it's good enough for me

I like the Mini 14, but the AR will probably be cheaper in the long run if you are not going to keep it stock, plus mags are much cheaper
    atctimmy and zacii like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links