SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47 - Page 2

SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47

This is a discussion on SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When the SHTF you will go with what you have and either live or die. You won't be able to carry 6000 rounds of ammo. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47

VIP Member
    When the SHTF you will go with what you have and either live or die. You won't be able to carry 6000 rounds of ammo. If you are honest with yourself you'll know that any gunfight you are in that lasts more than 5 shots (or so) is probably going to result in bad news for you. In SHTF even a minor GS wound will kill you from infection. Even a win can still mean you die a painful death.

So lets keep it real. Go with a gun that you like and will shoot now. Enjoy that gun at the range and learn all about it, what it likes and how you shoot it the best. But mostly, just enjoy it for what it is. Then when the SHTF concentrate on avoidance.

IMO both a mini and an AK are lethal in the hands of a skilled rifleman.
    BigJon10125 and Spidey2011 like this.

For a plinking gun with potential use, I would choose the AK, form your choices. I chose an SKS as a potential shtf gun.

My reasons:
    Good rep, easily available cheap ammo, known for reliability and function while dirty (vs AR) and cost. Cost being the least important.

As far as 30 round mags, unless you randomly have had those for around the last 25 years, you wont, legally, be owning any. Picking them up in a shtf scenario is a stretch, especially in this state. I vote for the SKS or lever gun. Each has its advantages and both have .30 cal rounds that can be used effectively for hunting and defense. Let us know what you choose!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I'll vote AK. Battle tested, and incredibly fun to shoot.

The SKS is another good option, though. Unbelievably tough gun. I tore one down awhile back that had thousands of rounds through it and had never been cleaned. I'm pretty sure the original cosmoline was never cleaned out of the internals of that gun either. Was shooting reliably right up until I tore into it.

Ok guys, I have decided on the AK. Two local options for me: WASR 10/63 @ $625 or Zastava pap M-70 @ $875. I like the fit and finish of the Zastava but don't think it warrants the $250. I think the WASR would fill my needs for a SHTF rifle. Any insight or opinions on these two rifles would be appreaciated. Thanks again.

The AR has done well in many third world countries in the hands of the trained. Not sure how it could get much worse here. A few spare parts and an AR should last a lifetime, even in the worst of situations.

An AK will obviously be extremely reliable. Both the AR and AK will be far more reliable and durable than the Mini.

The 7.62x39 is not all that impressive. It's a decent round, but the 5.56 is more advanced with many more options for different use. The Russians had the 7.62, but decided to develop the 5.45 to counter the 5.56. So, there's certainly something to be said about the lighter rounds.

Edit - I missed the last post. If I needed a high quality AK, I'd be looking for an Arsenal.

Either way, the Mini would be last on my list.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The AR has done well in many third world countries in the hands of the trained. Not sure how it could get much worse here. A few spare parts and an AR should last a lifetime, even in the worst of situations.

An AK will obviously be extremely reliable. Both the AR and AK will be far more reliable and durable than the Mini.

The 7.62x39 is not all that impressive. It's a decent round, but the 5.56 is more advanced with many more options for different use. The Russians had the 7.62, but decided to develop the 5.45 to counter the 5.56. So, there's certainly something to be said about the lighter rounds.

Edit - I missed the last post. If I needed a high quality AK, I'd be looking for an Arsenal.

Either way, the Mini would be last on my list.
    Thanks Jon, No doubt the AR is more accurate and versatile than the AK. If I hadnt already spent so much on my other guns/ammo I would buy one. For a SHTF rifle the AK is cheaper and 7.62x39 is about $100 cheaper per 1000. It all adds up when I considering 5000 plus rounds. I have about $2000 for this and want to be able to inflict the most damage as possible with that cash. I'll look into the arsenal, don't know if it's available local.

I own a stainless Mini 30 and it's a nice rifle. The good old SKS is too, I had one and it was one of nicest shooting guns I've ever owned. Should have kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Ok guys, I have decided on the AK. Two local options for me: WASR 10/63 @ $625 or Zastava pap M-70 @ $875. I like the fit and finish of the Zastava but don't think it warrants the $250. I think the WASR would fill my needs for a SHTF rifle. Any insight or opinions on these two rifles would be appreaciated. Thanks again.
    I looked at a Zastava awhile back and wasn't impressed. I'd go with the WASR 10, if I were going to buy one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    The AR has done well in many third world countries in the hands of the trained. Not sure how it could get much worse here. A few spare parts and an AR should last a lifetime, even in the worst of situations. An AK will obviously be extremely reliable. Both the AR and AK will be far more reliable and durable than the Mini. The 7.62x39 is not all that impressive. It's a decent round, but the 5.56 is more advanced with many more options for different use. The Russians had the 7.62, but decided to develop the 5.45 to counter the 5.56. So, there's certainly something to be said about the lighter rounds. Edit - I missed the last post. If I needed a high quality AK, I'd be looking for an Arsenal. Either way, the Mini would be last on my list.
    While I totally respect your opinion and do agree with 5.56 being more Versatel, in the vast majority of Shtf scenarios I think 7.62x39 would be supperior for my needs. It's just a harder hitting better penetrating round from 100 yards in. Much longer then that it may be hard to justify shooting, and if we are really going long I will bust out the Remington 700 30-06 which is a show stopper for most would be bad guys.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links