SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47

This is a discussion on SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First I'd like to thank all that posted to my prior thread about the Mini 14 vs AR15. I had just about decided to go ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: SHTF: Ruger Mini vs AK47

First I'd like to thank all that posted to my prior thread about the Mini 14 vs AR15. I had just about decided to go with the Mini 14 but though twice about it due to its lack of replacement parts in a SHTF senario. Also I've looked into the 7.62x39 round and am impressed with many aspects. If steel cased it's cheaper than .223/5.56. I'm thinking of buying an AK47 this weekend and ordereding 6000 rounds for it at a cost of about $2000 for the both. I'm interested in you opinions before I take the plunge.

No doubt the AR15 can outshoot the AK47 but remember I'm looking at a true worst case, we are living in a third world country, SHTF senario. I'm considering the AK47 due to its brute force and reliability. Im not interested in tricking out my SHTF rifle with red dots and lights.

What are some of the pros and cons of the AK47 platform? Any make/model suggestions. My Local gun store has several from $600 to $900. I've found Wolf 124 grain HP for $230 @1000 free shipping. Thanks in advance for your time.

It pretty much depends on how long you believe you will last in a "Third World New America". Personally I wouldn't worry about the lack of replacement parts. More than likely they will not be readily available for most anything in such a scenario.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Well i don't want to take it off point early on here, but I see you're in CA. What kind of AK is legal there? If you need those bullet-button mags or whatever, you might be better off going with an SKS, since it'll be almost as slow to reload but cheaper and possibly more durable, depending what AK make you go with. That being said, between the Mini and AK I think it's a tossup. The Mini will actually be more accurate than most (though not all) AKs out there, fires a more common cartridge, and is more PC, especially where you are. There is a lot to be said for cheap ammo that's still more powerful than 5.56 though, and FWIW I have an AK, but no Mini.

If you want a more powerful cartridge than the 5.56, and live in CA, you might want to get a lever gun in .30-30. The ammo is not as cheap, but is readily available.

One other point - it is much easier to mount a scope on a lever gun than on an AK or SKS. I know the trend is toward red dots, but I prefer a scope with magnification. I leave mine set at low power for close-in work, knowing I can dial up the magnification if needed.

Why a scope? Because it can be difficult, even at relatively short ranges, to tell the difference between a handgun in someone's hand - and a cell phone or a wallet. Magnification lets you be sure, before you reach the point of no return, that a shot is justified.

The Tactical Wire just had an article about this. While geared towards law enforcement, it applies to civilian self defense as well.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/226635
    Last edited by 10thmtn; October 18th, 2012 at 10:11 AM. Reason: more info
    glockman10mm likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

MJK
    I stowe a Radom arsenal underfolder and several 30 round mags in a hidden trunk compartment and have a fair amont of experience with it. The AK platform is legendary for it's reliability...not so much for its accuracy. But it's good enough out to 200 meters for most situations. Other advantages: compact, easy to field strip, and simple to learn. In addition the 7.62x39 cartridge is a proven manstopper.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

To tell you the truth, I'd just as soon have a good lever gun as anything.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If you want the larger round of the AK, you could also look at the Mini 30. Shoots the same 7.62mm round as the AK. I have been thinking of getting the Mini 14 as well. I already have the lever 30-30 and absolutly love it.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    To tell you the truth, I'd just as soon have a good lever gun as anything.
    Be lookin' mighty sharp with that Vaquero.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Be lookin' mighty sharp with that Vaquero.
    Shhhh! Don't let Whec catch wind of this.
    Mike1956 and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Well i don't want to take it off point early on here, but I see you're in CA. What kind of AK is legal there? If you need those bullet-button mags or whatever, you might be better off going with an SKS, since it'll be almost as slow to reload but cheaper and possibly more durable, depending what AK make you go with. That being said, between the Mini and AK I think it's a tossup. The Mini will actually be more accurate than most (though not all) AKs out there, fires a more common cartridge, and is more PC, especially where you are. There is a lot to be said for cheap ammo that's still more powerful than 5.56 though, and FWIW I have an AK, but no Mini.
    ^^^^^^^
    I also noticed you're in "Kalifornia" As Peckman said, the SKS platform may be a better choice. The Mini 30, chambered in 7.62x39 may also be a good choice if you're stuck on Rugers and looking toward the AK round. Personally, I think I'd take the SKS, and a lot of stripper clips for the ammo, as it's battle proven and legal to have in your State.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Moderator
    If you want a bigger round and since you are in California I would suggest looking at a Remington 7600 or 750 carbine in .308

You get a great round, a compliant rifle and it looks non-threatening
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I love the AK types. SHTF is a toss up though. The parts availability argument is valid but culling parts of a stray M4 to fix your busted M4 seems more difficult than just walking away with this new found rifle. I wonder if we often over think preparing for the worst. either of those rifles would work great for you. as would dozens of others. I also like the Marlin 1895 in 44mag and my Win 30-30. scoping an AK is pretty easy with a side mount. and mine holds zero when I put it back on. mine is just a cheap RDS though with a 2x magnifier. I do get about lower 1/3 co-witness with it but it comes off so easy I'd probably just pull it if it failed. the problem with many AK side mounts IMO is that they are way too high. so find a good one if you go that route. my mount is an AKM from Royally Screwed. love it.

OP - The Mini 30 is a good choice as well, but IIRC Ruger does advise against using steel cased ammo.

I also considered the Remington pump rifles in .308 when I was looking for a .30-something, but decided on the lever gun due to cost and the ability to top off the mag tube.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Thanks for the responses guys. The CA deal isn't a bad as it sounds. This is not a weapon I would use to defend myself when the rule of law was in place. I would only use it for defense when things were lawless.

I have a marlin 1894 lever action .375 with 4000 rounds, talk about expensive ammo. I do like the fact that the lever action is likely to always be legal. Still in a true SHTF senario having five 30 round mags of 7.62x39 by your side would be comforting.

I need to handle the Mini 30 and an AK47 to see which one fits me better. I'm leaning toward to AK again due it it's availability of no proprietary parts. Thanks again for the input.

While the concern for parts compatibilty is legit, I think it's over thought and over played.

If you are shooting that much, you are no longer in a shtf situation, you are in a war. And in that case, there will be pick ups readily available.

Of course the SHTF scenario means different things to different people, so it really first must be defined.

In any event, I believe that the SKS, AR, AK, or good levergun will work.
    And I really prefer a moderate supply of 30 cal ammo over a large supply of .223 ammo. I think the 30 cal bullet hits with more finality over the .22 calibers.

Having said that , do not get caught without a rimfire, which will probably be the most useful of all.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links