Looking for a good AR15

Looking for a good AR15

This is a discussion on Looking for a good AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking for a good AR15 for target and home defense. I have looked at the Bushmaster but have heard many people post negative ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for a good AR15

Looking for a good AR15

I am looking for a good AR15 for target and home defense. I have looked at the Bushmaster but have heard many people post negative remark on the quality of the parts. I am looking at the colt 6920 and am leaning towards this gun. looking for some advice and my local gun shop is pushing the bushmaster.

VIP Member
    The 6920 is the gold standard. Look no further. Bushmaster is low end material sold at high end prices.
    zacii likes this.

Many gun stores will push certain makers based on profit margin and/or perks from the makers. As for which AR15 to purchase much depends on your specific needs/uses and of course finances. Personally I have a Colt LE6920MFDE and love it.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Just bought a S&W mp15 myself. have not had a chance to try it yet but I have high expections for it.

Value for dollar winners are the Colt 6920's and the Sig M400's.

Get the Colt and don't look back.
    atctimmy and scgunlover1 like this.

Do your research, as a lot of opinion gets passed off as fact around here.

Palmetto State Armory has some GREAT deals running lately. Great as in 800-850 will get you into a rifle with everything you need except ammo.

People swear by colt because Colt is the original. Lots of folks at AR15.com say that their QC practices are slipping these days.

I would spend a month looking at your options, because y.ou will catch the bug, and spend 3X as much converting that impulse buy into the rifle that you now actually want.
    DBS25 likes this.

I bought mine from USA Tactical is Statesville NC. AR's are the only thing they build and they'll build it anyway and just about any caliber you want. Lifetime warranty as well. I know its a small local company but they put out a great product.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    I would spend a month looking at your options, because y.ou will catch the bug, and spend 3X as much converting that impulse buy into the rifle that you now actually want.
    Good advice - a month at least. I spent about 6 months and was fortunate enough to shoot a friend's 6920 very close to when I made my purchase.

I ended up with a Stag Arms Model 2, but the dealer I bought it from also had a Model 3 with a "budget" red dot on it, but without any backup sights. I went back and forth for a couple of weeks trying to plan out what I really wanted from the rifle and opted for the Model 2 because it was closer to what I wanted to start with (and a wee bit closer to what I wanted to end up with).

So, I'd throw Stag Arms into the consideration list as well.

My dept rifle is a Bushmaster M4. My personal rifle is a Colt upper with a DPMS lower that I bought from a friend used. They are both excellent weapons. They both have many rounds through them and perform as they should.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Colt 6920 is hard to beat. The only other brands I would consider besides Colt would be BCM, DD, or Noveske.
    remington79 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pluch View Post
    I am looking for a good AR15 for target and home defense. I have looked at the Bushmaster but have heard many people post negative remark on the quality of the parts. I am looking at the colt 6920 and am leaning towards this gun. looking for some advice and my local gun shop is pushing the bushmaster.
    Take a look at DPMS/Panther Arms, and Stag Arms

S&W makes some pretty decent offerings at a good price. I have a S&W and my buddy has a Colt. His colt actually jammed up before my S&W, and I had a heck of a lot more rounds through mine than he did.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMan1987 View Post
    I would normally agree with this, however one of the Presidential candidates has openly endorsed a "Assault Weapons Ban". Wither or not he can make this happen will be irrelevant to the massive rush on Ar-15 type rifles and parts if he is re-elected. To the point, you may want to make your purchase before the end of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I would normally agree with this, however one of the Presidential candidates has openly endorsed a "Assault Weapons Ban". Wither or not he can make this happen will be irrelevant to the massive rush on Ar-15 type rifles and parts if he is re-elected. To the point, you may want to make your purchase before the end of the month.
    It would still take quite some time to actually push through. I doubt it will happen though. A nationwide assault weapons ban would be political suicide right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links