New member, new SG

This is a discussion on New member, new SG within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, Im new to the forum and fairly new to owning firearms, spent quite a bit of time shooting but I bought my first ...

Thread: New member, new SG

New member, new SG

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and fairly new to owning firearms, spent quite a bit of time shooting but I bought my first handgun about 2 years ago and recently bought my first shotgun, a stevens 320 with the security/field combo. I know its no 500/870 but the price was right and being a student, the budget is tight.

My question is the capacity of the shotgun in the owners manual states 4+1 but I can easily load 5 2 3/4" reduced recoil slugs plus 1 in the chamber for HD use. Is this a bad practice? should I only load 4+1? Is this listed capacity maybe considering use of 3" rounds? I have put about 150 rounds of various loads from 2 3/4" target loads to 3" magnum loads and have had 0 issues besides one stray 3" magnum shell that decided it wanted to double feed.

This looks like a great forum and im excited to be a new member! Thanks for any insight

2. Remove Ads

Welcome. I will defer your shotgun question to the experts.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Welcome from So Cal!

You may get more responses to your specific questions in their respective forums. From my experience I would say the 5 rds is not an issue as long as it cycles properly. Basically the same principal as using 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells. I am no expert and some on here may offer better and potentially opposite advice!

When you post in the other forums make sure to include pictures!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Thanks for the greetings! I've browsed around in other shotgun forums, etc. but the stevens 320 is a fairly new product (although more or less a copy of the winchester 1300) so there isnt too much info out there yet. I thought id throw out the question here and see others experiences, including with other model shotguns. I wonder if others have found they can load more rounds than the listed capacity in other models? 500's or 870's?

Links