Bullpups - the Concept

This is a discussion on Bullpups - the Concept within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Echo_Four Most impressive part of the video to me was the watch. I don't know how many videos of yours I've seen, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bullpups - the Concept

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    Most impressive part of the video to me was the watch. I don't know how many videos of yours I've seen, but I do know that's the first time I noticed that bad boy on your wrist. You get a like just for that.
    The watch is the best watch I've ever owned. I usually destroy watches within a year. This is the first watch that's lasted me 3 years with no service and it's a daily wear watch. It gets beat to heck and it still works and it still looks good. If I had known how good these watches were I would have bought one 20 years ago -- and I would likely still have it.

When people ask me if Rolex is really worth the money, I can say unequivocally "Yes, it is".
    Echo_Four likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I feel the only benefit of the bullpup is the shortness of it, though that is the main reason they exist. If you just run a 10" AR, you're likely to have the same length firearm. Plus you still get adjustable length of pull unlike bullpups. But the bullpup still has the velocity benefit comparing a 16" to 10" rifle, assuming we're talking about 5.56 here. But at CQB distances, that the bullpup is designed for, velocity won't matter as much as it would when fighting out past 100 yards or so. So therefore, the only downside of an 10" AR vs a 16" bullpup will then be muzzle blast. A suppressor would help but then it will make overall length back to what the rifle was initially.
    That's the rub, at least for civilian use.

The military can pick and choose weapons for particular applications (at least the SpecOps community can). A 10" barreled SBR is great for CQB but if you want a more universal rifle that can do both CQB and 300 yard work, the SBR isn't always your best option. The bullpup gives the shooter the handiness of the SBR with the barrel length of a conventional rifle.

One thing I don't address in the video is the balance of the rifles while I'm in the vehicle. The bullpup is far more handy because of its weight distribution. With the weight further to the rear it isn't muzzle heavy nor is it as clumsy feeling in such a tight space. Even with a SBR (I have several), with the magazine and most of the operating components forward of the pistol grip, the balance simply can't match that of the bullpup.

I will say, for a ranch rifle and a truck gun the bullpup is hard to beat.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

In a defensive situation, you're not going to have the time to put on shooting glasses. The possibility of getting spent hot brass in your eyes when shooting from the left shoulder is a no-go to me.

I'm also not too keen on the forward eject bullpups. Just seems like the ejection chute is another area that can get jammed up.

The bottom eject solves both issues.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Mmm... why hasn't anyone jerry-rigged an AR style brass deflector to the stock?

Again another awesome video!

I'm with a lot of folks from above. Brass that close to my face / hitting my face doesn't look to appetizing. Ill stick with my m4 platform.

One thing I also noticed is that the guy who made this video has clearly never seen any magpul dynamics technique stuff. Not saying his technique was flawed or wrong but I didn't see anything I recognized. I'm also not saying that magpul is the end all be all but those guys know their stuff. Unless someone with a more impressive résumé tells me otherwise I'm going to do it the way Chris (and Travis did) does is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbuffett556 View Post
    I'm with a lot of folks from above. Brass that close to my face / hitting my face doesn't look to appetizing. Ill stick with my m4 platform.

One thing I also noticed is that the guy who made this video has clearly never seen any magpul dynamics technique stuff. Not saying his technique was flawed or wrong but I didn't see anything I recognized. I'm also not saying that magpul is the end all be all but those guys know their stuff. Unless someone with a more impressive résumé tells me otherwise I'm going to do it the way Chris (and Travis did) does is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.
    The day you see a Magpul mag change on Funker Tacticals YouTube channel being executed in combat by a Soldier or Marine is the day ill send you a free shirt for posting the link. They're as rare as honest politicians. When you were in the military did they teach you Magpul mag changes?

Also, tell me, what are you seeing in that fraction of a second you peek at the ejection port just before you flick the rifle the other way to eject your magazine? It takes the human brain on average 1.5 seconds to see something, process it, decide a course of action (aka troubleshoot), then to begin to do something about it. If you saw a malfunction during your brief peek you would already be trying to eject the magazine before you determined if it was a type 1, 2 or 3 malfunction. 99.9% of the people I see doing the peek are doing nothing more than going through the motions and racing against the clock to see how fast they can do a mag change.
    Echo_Four and Hoganbeg like this.

Barrel length is a statistic that seems to be optimized one of two ways. Either you want enough (for power et al.), or you want very little (mobility). The 5.56 platform seems to prefer 'enough' barrel length. How about the .308? It's been awhile since the Keltec RFB has been talked about, but the bullpup seems to be a very good idea for the .308. I wouldn't mind reading a few thoughts on the theory of this caliber bullpup.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Barrel length is a statistic that seems to be optimized one of two ways. Either you want enough (for power et al.), or you want very little (mobility). The 5.56 platform seems to prefer 'enough' barrel length. How about the .308? It's been awhile since the Keltec RFB has been talked about, but the bullpup seems to be a very good idea for the .308. I wouldn't mind reading a few thoughts on the theory of this caliber bullpup.
    I picked up a RFB to include in my bullpup series but so far I've not been able to get it to work and after spending a good part of a day trying to reach their customer support via phone on Monday I'm not too optimistic I'll be able to get the issue resolved in a timely manner. It's discouraging when you call technical support, no one answers and their voice mail box is full.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    That's the rub, at least for civilian use.

The military can pick and choose weapons for particular applications (at least the SpecOps community can). A 10" barreled SBR is great for CQB but if you want a more universal rifle that can do both CQB and 300 yard work, the SBR isn't always your best option. The bullpup gives the shooter the handiness of the SBR with the barrel length of a conventional rifle.

One thing I don't address in the video is the balance of the rifles while I'm in the vehicle. The bullpup is far more handy because of its weight distribution. With the weight further to the rear it isn't muzzle heavy nor is it as clumsy feeling in such a tight space. Even with a SBR (I have several), with the magazine and most of the operating components forward of the pistol grip, the balance simply can't match that of the bullpup.

I will say, for a ranch rifle and a truck gun the bullpup is hard to beat.
    That was my basic take away from the whole video:

A bullpup may be a good thing to have if you find yourself in a situation where fighting from "inside" a vehicle is called for. I can also see it as a viable HD alternative to an AR.

However, I'm not certain a more "custom" AR can't fill the same role just as well. But, if the price bullpups come down to those of an "entry" level AR, I would definitely consider one.

-

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    I picked up a RFB to include in my bullpup series but so far I've not been able to get it to work and after spending a good part of a day trying to reach their customer support via phone on Monday I'm not too optimistic I'll be able to get the issue resolved in a timely manner. It's discouraging when you call technical support, no one answers and their voice mail box is full.
    Thanks. That's my impression, too. That's why I was wondering about the theory.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member
    Personally, my favorite thing about bullpups is that they're more comfortable to shoot prone or on any flat surface.

With conventional configurations, you have that long mag acting as a pivot point further forward if you dont have a bipod. Bullpup puts the mag against your body so it's not in the way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links