Bullpups - the Concept

This is a discussion on Bullpups - the Concept within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Bullpups - the Concept

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar

Bullpups - the Concept

Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Good vid! I learned a few things. Thanks for posting!

Distinguished Member
    As always, great video!
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I never had much interest in Bullpups. Don't care for the action that close to my face.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I don't care for bullpups either. I don't like how far back the mags are. It looks like an awkward reload.

Nice for home defense......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    I'm a lefty....nuff said.

Good video though.
    darbo and OldMick like this.

M4carbine moderator, and Bronze Star recipient, Failure2Stop taught CQB and small arms to the Brits and posted his experience with the SA80. Though it's not bullpups in general, a lot of the issues are common across the board.

Rational Gun: Actual friggin' data on the SA80
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Bullpups are what they are. I do think most people that love them so much do so because they've never had to run the stupid things. I'd take the worst AR or AK carbine over the best bullpup any day, but that's just me.

Most impressive part of the video to me was the watch. I don't know how many videos of yours I've seen, but I do know that's the first time I noticed that bad boy on your wrist. You get a like just for that.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

RKM
    I feel the only benefit of the bullpup is the shortness of it, though that is the main reason they exist. If you just run a 10" AR, you're likely to have the same length firearm. Plus you still get adjustable length of pull unlike bullpups. But the bullpup still has the velocity benefit comparing a 16" to 10" rifle, assuming we're talking about 5.56 here. But at CQB distances, that the bullpup is designed for, velocity won't matter as much as it would when fighting out past 100 yards or so. So therefore, the only downside of an 10" AR vs a 16" bullpup will then be muzzle blast. A suppressor would help but then it will make overall length back to what the rifle was initially.

I was also going to mention the Submariner. I had a fake one as a kid. I have a few Seiko's, a Luminox and a Citizen. I've been wanting a GMT-II Pro Hunter for awhile. But, not quite in my price range.

Sometimes I think I wouldn't mind a Steyr AUG....then I see the price tag. I think I would be a lot more favorable to these things if they were even in the same ballpark as a good AR, but I just don't see the value the way things are now on the market.

A couple of questions for those in the know....

1) do malfunctions arise when engaging a target above the shooter when using the F2000? Is there enough force to eject the shells upward?
    2) wouldn't a simple brass deflector on an AUG help with the issue of brass in your face when firing left handed?
    3) anybody know the origin of the term "bullpup"?

Not that I have the funds for such a toy, but I was just curious.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Seems like a useful weapon system for extreme situations. Everybody is used to the ar style, but I feel like most people could transition quickly. I feel like the ar is more versatile for average guys who want to defend their property and their families, especially since military members can run it, but the bullpup seems like a good option for police, security personnel, and even some military units. The car demonstration was very good.

Ever since I was a teen, I've acknowledged to myself that they can be damn sexy. I'm biased in their favor, just because of their looks

edit: That was a really well done video. Good quality, good pacing, good vocals!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    M4carbine moderator, and Bronze Star recipient, Failure2Stop taught CQB and small arms to the Brits and posted his experience with the SA80. Though it's not bullpups in general, a lot of the issues are common across the board.

Rational Gun: Actual friggin' data on the SA80
    Most of the issues raised in that article are problems/issues with the SA80 specifically and don't translate to other bullpup designs.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links