Which rifle for LEO squad car?

This is a discussion on Which rifle for LEO squad car? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It has been a few years since my LEO days. I carried a Bushmaster AR-15 in my patrol car. It is my own and i ...

View Poll Results: Which rifle for an LEO Squad Car

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15

49 59.04%
  • Sig 556

2 2.41%
  • FN FS2000

0 0%
  • FN PS90

2 2.41%
  • SA Socom 16 (without the big rail)

18 21.69%
  • Para FAL

3 3.61%
  • AR-10

0 0%
  • Vepr or Arsenal AK

2 2.41%
  • Mini-14

4 4.82%
  • Other (Please specify what and why)

3 3.61%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which rifle for LEO squad car?

It has been a few years since my LEO days. I carried a Bushmaster AR-15 in my patrol car. It is my own and i had to qualify with it. If i were still in that profession today, I would not hesitate to rely on it . I would use the new Hornady TAP ammo though.If Austin is anything like Dallas, anything you want to use has to be on their approved equipment list.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

2. Remove Ads

Sa Socom

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Again, "if you have a choice..."- I would say FAL para, for availability and cheap cost of mags, in a 18" length. The SOCOM is a cool little gun, but 16" is really not optimizing the .308.
    Ya beat me to it !! Ever see the muzzle flash on one those things ?? It's impressive. I'd just take the M1A/M14 if that were the case.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Para-Fal

Used to have an SA/Imbel Bush rifle.

Even without the folding stock it made a nice car or in my case Jeep rifle.

Administrator
    My god kid, worry about getting hired first, getting thru FTO etc. You have a long road ahead of you before you should concern yourself with things you wont have a hand in for a long time to come. Theres way more to the job than firearms.
    Good luck with your application.
    Oh yeah to answer your question, the AR is my preference.

AR-15
    Because thats what I use, on the job and at home.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Ever see the muzzle flash on one those things ??
    I think it's the muzzle device's problem - with stock G3 flashhider, my 8.5" barrel HK-51 clone SBR has less visible flash than my 16" AR with A2 birdcage.

I've seen HK51s that would light up a runway for landing aircraft, again with an abominable muzzle device (the original Flemming brake), and there's a larger flash if I unscrew the G3 hider but it's still not like throwing a flashbang.

I suspect it may have to do with getting enough backpressure on the M1As to function properly, like on the original 51s.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

AR 15/M4 or some other carbine variant of it.

Good for CQB, excellent at typical LE encounter ranges, lightweight, simple to operate.

If you have ever lit off a .308 rifle in confined spaces you would probably reconsider your choice really quick-like. I've had opportunities to fire the FAL in a 16" carbine, even with a big name flash suppressor the blast and flash on that was very distracting.
    Ranger Gunleather

If light rails were needed on handguns John Browning would have included it on the 1911.

Socom, IMHO the best general purpose Rifle or a M1A1.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Dunn View Post
    If you have ever lit off a .308 rifle in confined spaces you would probably reconsider your choice really quick-like. I've had opportunities to fire the FAL in a 16" carbine, even with a big name flash suppressor the blast and flash on that was very distracting.
    In confined spaces, the .223 isn't a cakewalk either for blast and flash. They're both rifles and the noise and blast factor adds up fast.

That said, individual people are succeptible to these things more or less than others. 223 in the same confined spaces as a 308 leaves me just as unhappy.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

the M1A soccom would be my choice but the first thing I would do is to pull the muzzle break off and put a SEI Vortex flash supressor and gas lock front site on it. The muzzle break really adds to the flash and makes it that much louder put the Smith Vortex and it will make a huge difference.
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    The AR will be familiar to 90% of LEO recruits saving training $$ and time, ammo is cheap for practice, weapon and parts are widely available and relatively cheap.

The weapon system itself is enough to get the job done, is more accurate than most people who shoot it, and is combat proven. It is alo able to sit for long periods with little or no maintenance and still function properly.

Lastly, if a PD chooses some "exotic" rifle like the SOCOM, when an officer has to use the weapon the lawyer in the wrongful death suit from the family will say something like: "The majority of departments in the US issue an AR-style rifle. The Mayberry PD issues a "Special Operations" rifle to their officers. Why is that? Do they think they are Rambo?"
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

tanksoldier i agree if you are going to be arming the entire department then the AR would be a better choice. however for an individual officer purchasing his own personal rifle to carry if it were me i would still prefer the M1A.
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

I would go with (and went with) an AR-15 . At one time I did carry a Mini 14 in my cruiser.

Tank I agree for agencies arming their officers with ARs as they are the dominant rifle in LEO roles and the public is most comfortable with this type. However I was refering to a private purchase. Though you wouldn't want to look like a war junky this way either, especially because you alone will be under the spotlight if you make a mistake.

And I'm starting to get the warm and fuzzies for a 20in AR. With a railed forearm, flat-top upper, Trijicon ACOG, Troy Ind BUIS, VLTOR Modstock, Tango Down grip and rail covers, Surefire light, and foregrip. Don't know why but I'm starting to like the 20inchers more and more every day.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    My god kid, worry about getting hired first, getting thru FTO etc. You have a long road ahead of you before you should concern yourself with things you wont have a hand in for a long time to come. Theres way more to the job than firearms.
    Good luck with your application.
    Oh yeah to answer your question, the AR is my preference.
    Oddly enough I agree with SIXTO on this one, but I would add that, if you do have a choice, you will make it with information you have then, and what you pick now might not necessarily be the best option. For example, if you find yourself in a heavily populated patrol area, you may not even want a rifle cartridge but rather a pistol cartridge fired from a carbine to reduce the potential overpenetration and wounding of innocent bystanders.

Josh <><

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links