Which rifle for LEO squad car?

This is a discussion on Which rifle for LEO squad car? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm looking for you opinion on which rifle to put in an LEO squad car. I just applied to the Austin, TX PD academy. If ...

View Poll Results: Which rifle for an LEO Squad Car

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-15

49 58.33%
  • Sig 556

2 2.38%
  • FN FS2000

0 0%
  • FN PS90

2 2.38%
  • SA Socom 16 (without the big rail)

19 22.62%
  • Para FAL

3 3.57%
  • AR-10

0 0%
  • Vepr or Arsenal AK

2 2.38%
  • Mini-14

4 4.76%
  • Other (Please specify what and why)

3 3.57%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which rifle for LEO squad car?

I'm looking for you opinion on which rifle to put in an LEO squad car. I just applied to the Austin, TX PD academy. If I get accepted, and make it through the academy, I would like to put a rifle in my squad car. That is if I'm allowed to. I like most every option in the poll so let me know which you picked and why. Although I'm not as impressed with the AR-15s as most others seem to be.

I posted this at TFL also, so if you're a member there this might look familiar.

I picked the Socom 16 because I like the 308 round over the .223 and 7.62x39mm. And I could use soft or hollow point rounds so over-penetration wouldn't be as much of an issue. I know long range shots would be called for. But the 308 will end the fight sooner and will penetrate barriers better. And since I wouldn't be hauling this gun around on my back I don't care it weighs 8lbs.

Other than that I like the FN FS2000 then the Sig 556.

M4 style/size carbine.

Ideal for CQB in densly populated urban areas (i.e. school/college shootings) where you'll have to make entry fast if you want to save lives, and be constantly moving, clearing rooms/halls/offices/etc.

Put an EOTec, CQB sling, front grip, white light and laser; keep at least 3 mags with you, not on the gun.

Does Austin PD allow their officers to choose their own rifle? I know the officers provide their own pistol from a list of approved models (an Austin PD academy instructor/SWAT guy recently did some training for my department).

Personally I'd go with the 7.62x39mm. It has the necessary range for just about any conceivable urban scenario. You're not burdened with the weight and over-penetration issues of a larger (.308) rifle, yet you still have enough "punch" to do the job. JMO

However, I doubt that a city PD is going to allow AK's or the FN models you have listed. Most of them seem to stick to AR's for the regular "beat cops."
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I chose the AR-15. An AR-15 or M4 would be ideal. It all depends on your uses, of course.

The local PD carries M4's, and Rem 870's (Glock 17's for the handgun). The SD carries Mini-14's (which none of the deputies talk too highly about) and their 870's (Sig 220's for the handgun).
    Beretta 92FS

If over penetration is not a problem (rural area, for example) then I go with the SOCOM16 (SOCOM II has the rails on the forend). Otherwise I say go for the Sig556 and add an ACOG & Suppressor.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    AR /M4 . enough penetration to punch thru car doors, fast follow up shots. light weight /short length make for a fast handling carbine.
    Another to consider, although expensive , would be a pistol carbine. either an AR platform or the HK 94/MP5. Although personally , I would rather have the extra range & penetration of a rifle caliber.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Yeah I'm not really looking at pistol caliber carbines. I doubt Austin of all places will let their officers carry AKs. Great rifle and fits the bill, but to iconic of evil for such a liberal town. I know the AR is the standard in current LEO rifles. I recongize what they offer and they are very ergonomic guns.

In reguards to the 308 rifles, will modern tactical ammo over-penetrate? I figured with ammo like Hornady TAP or something similar I wouldn't have to worry. And because I'll be a beat cop my uses will probably be confined to single of small groups of BGs. Probably in a vehicle or behind cover. I would suspect that most of the room clearing with rifles will be done by SWAT. If I chase a perp into a building and try to find him I won't be going back to the car for a rifle. I'll use my sidearm. That is unless I know he is armed, especially with a longarm, and is going to set up a defensive position.

Senior Moderator
    I chose the Soccom for reasons posted awhile back.

Without rehashing the whole story, after a shootout here with a local guy, the .223 did not penetrate doors on a car. Many shots were fired, a .223 though the hip put the badguy down.

Since the Sheriffs turf is mostly rural, we decided to get some .308s for run-n-gun battles like the last one. The .308 will shoot though doors and in this case it may have ended the battle much quicker.

The Soccom seems like the ideal patrol rifle. Its short,points quickly and hits hard. Its is easy to get in and out of the car or trunk without hanging up on everything. That action is fairly robust. They are not cheap, but what are the lives of yourself and your buddies worth ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'd suggest picking up one of those M1 Garands and look into a scout scope for it.

Big, powerful round. Good range. Accurate. COMBAT PROVEN.

An AR is the popular choice, but you're just shooting a higher velocity version of a .22....
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I doubt that you will have any choice in the matter. If it is anything like most other Texas big-city departments, you may only carry a patrol rifle after going through an extensive qualification course and additional training to alleviate liability concerns.

That said, most departments authorize m-4 style ar's. TX DPS uses Bushmasters.

That is why I voted for the AR, because if that is what I will be using, that is what I have been training with.
    Fear No Evil.

Assistant Administrator
    Hmmm yes - doubt choice will enter into it but - I would say SOCOM.

My thinking is geared to the N Hollywood shootout where the cops were severely undergunned - .308 would have stopped things real quick IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Academy

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post
    I'm looking for you opinion on which rifle to put in an LEO squad car. I just applied to the Austin, TX PD academy. If I get accepted, and make it through the academy, I would like to put a rifle in my squad car. That is if I'm allowed to. I like most every option in the poll so let me know which you picked and why. Although I'm not as impressed with the AR-15s as most others seem to be.

I posted this at TFL also, so if you're a member there this might look familiar.
    You might want to just concentrate on the 25 meter target first ! That being the acceptance to the academy, and successful completion of said academy. Firearms will the least of your worries.
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Again, "if you have a choice..."- I would say FAL para, for availability and cheap cost of mags, in a 18" length. The SOCOM is a cool little gun, but 16" is really not optimizing the .308.

Quote Originally Posted by '75scout View Post

Application, background investigation, physical, polygraph, psych. eval, case law, defensive driving, combatives, criminal procedure.......................................so mewhere down the list is the Patrol Rifle Response course.

Assuming said Department allows you to attend, and assuming even further that they let you choose which rifle to carry.

Zero on the 25 in three rounds, learn to zap the 50 meter and 75 meter aligned targets with one shot, then spank the 300 meter E-Type every time without fail. Move on and up from there.

Baby steps.
    Virginia Citizen's Defense League
    The Soldiers Creed
    This here JimmyHat is for your protection, and mine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links