Troy Defense 556 vs Ruger SR-556?

This is a discussion on Troy Defense 556 vs Ruger SR-556? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am new to the AR world, and I am trying to get some opinions as to the which might be the best AR for ...

View Poll Results: Which?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Troy Defense 556

4 20.00%
  • Ruger SR-556

8 40.00%
  • Other - Please name and why.

8 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Troy Defense 556 vs Ruger SR-556?

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar

Troy Defense 556 vs Ruger SR-556?

I am new to the AR world, and I am trying to get some opinions as to the which might be the best AR for under or around $1500. I like these 2, and I am leaning towards the Ruger. If anyone believes there is another brand that's better for the price I am looking for any suggestions. I appreciate your input.

It must be well built and reliable, and it will be used for HD and range time.

2. Remove Ads

Similar, but different sub-species. The Troy is a direct impingement gun whereas the Ruger is a gas piston action.

Both are substantial guns, but Troy has been in the AR game longer and their stuff has been demonstrated to be pretty bulletproof. I think you'd have to give them some very hard use to see which one gives up first, but I'd give the nod to Troy.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A Dicks Sporting Goods store just opened close to my house last Saturday, and I went to look at the Troy D. I was impressed with its tight construction and feel, also with the price.

I prefer ruger, however (and I don't know) if ruger doesn't use standard ar mags. I would go with Troy. but a colt le6920 is the way to go for under $1500. I did.
    david

VIP Member
    For that budget, you have a wide variety of quality makers available to you. Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, and several others spring immediately to mind. This topic comes up fairly frequently - maybe someone can link you to some earlier discussions if you can't find them through the search function.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If you were set on either of those two, TROY!

If your budget it maxed at $1500 - entry level BCM, PSA, Colt, (even the Troy if you can get any extra deal on it) then you will have $$$ for mags, RDS and ammo. It's the fluff that kills ya.

Right now PSA has the rifle and Aimpoint PRO package (sale is expired - $1k - so who knows what the actual price is, might still be active) PSA 16'' Mid Premium Patrol Rifle Package. That would be your best bet for entry level. $400 RDS included with the rifle.
    scgunlover1 and TonyDTrigger like this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Have to agree with previous posts. I would have to give my nod towards the Troy. But if I was looking for a piston AR, the Ruger would be high on my list. And yes, the SR556 takes standard (IMHO, MAGPUL) mags.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've shot a Ruger and all I remember is FRONTHEAVY. But nice that it came with branded Troy BUIS.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    It must be well built and reliable, and it will be used for HD and range time.
    I'd go with a IO Hellhound or STG-2000C both are American made AK-47. cheap practice ammo, good SD ammo, simple and easy to run.

Link: Welcome to I.O. Inc.
    TonyDTrigger likes this.

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    If you were set on either of those two, TROY!

If your budget it maxed at $1500 - entry level BCM, PSA, Colt, (even the Troy if you can get any extra deal on it) then you will have $$$ for mags, RDS and ammo. It's the fluff that kills ya.

Right now PSA has the rifle and Aimpoint PRO package (sale is expired - $1k - so who knows what the actual price is, might still be active) PSA 16'' Mid Premium Patrol Rifle Package. That would be your best bet for entry level. $400 RDS included with the rifle.
    This sounds outstanding. How is the quality? Glock like reliable? thanks this is hard to beat.

Regarding piston vs something else, whatever is more reliable. I don't know the difference. As someone posted here once "Glock like reliability" is what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    I'd go with a IO Hellhound or STG-2000C both are American made AK-47. cheap practice ammo, good SD ammo, simple and easy to run.

Link: Welcome to I.O. Inc.
    This is nice also. How is the 7.62 round when it comes to recoil compared with the 556?

I didn't know for sure if ruger used standard ar mags or not. thats why I posted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDTrigger View Post
    This is nice also. How is the 7.62 round when it comes to recoil compared with the 556?
    The Commie 7.62x39 round is a pussycat in most platforms - AK, AR, or SKS. I'd say the difference is hardly noticeable at the shooting end. Now the 7.62x51 (NATO, essentially the .308 Win) round is substantially more powerful, and you will notice the heavier recoil.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have the Ruger SR556FB. Great rifle. The gun is all mil-spec and it does take standard AR15 mags. If you buy one of the higher end models, you'll get three Magpul Pmags with it, a very nice rail system, and an excellent set of Troy Industries foldable/adjustable iron sights.

The Ruger is a gas piston gun and stays very clean in the chamber and bolt carrier area. The piston and gas regulator gets all the dirt and is easy to keep clean. You can shoot an SR556 all day and it will stay cool and not miss a beat. The internals and barrel are all hard chromed.

There are two things to consider: The Ruger is a little heavier in the front end and it has a fairly stiff trigger pull. (I think it is about 8 lbs.) You get used to it, but I do think I will eventually opt for one of the excellent aftermarket triggers available.

I don't know much about the Troy Defense gun, but they do have an excellent reputation for high quality rifles.

Either rifle you select will serve the purpose very well.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The Commie 7.62x39 round is a pussycat in most platforms - AK, AR, or SKS. I'd say the difference is hardly noticeable at the shooting end. Now the 7.62x51 (NATO, essentially the .308 Win) round is substantially more powerful, and you will notice the heavier recoil.
    The 7.62x39 round has about 15% more powder charge, 3x heavier bullet, and 20% lower velocity. Yeah, a bit more felt recoil, and more inertia on the receiving end.

Ammo used to be stupid cheap, but is now about on par with 5.56 ammo. Mags as well. Accessory/customization options are a helluvalot better on the AR platform.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links