Great day at the range--finally!!

This is a discussion on Great day at the range--finally!! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Our range (local gun club--VERY rural) has been closed the whole stinkin' summer, due to extreme drought and corresponding fire danger. So, yesterday, I carved ...

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar

Our range (local gun club--VERY rural) has been closed the whole stinkin' summer, due to extreme drought and corresponding fire danger. So, yesterday, I carved out some time and went to the range. (It was a gorgeous day, with mixed clouds and sunshine, a couple of flakes of snow and about 30 degrees, and 10-15 mph wind)

I took a Carbine class from our local county SWAT guys in July, and did a hasty (and rough) zero there, that I was unsatisfied with. So, I finally had the chance to really dial in my new Aimpoint T-1, and the folding Troy Tritium sights from LaRue. I was very, very pleased.

Then I set up one of my "bad guy" photo targets from LE targets, and practiced what I learned at the carbine class. It is absolutely amazing (and frightening from a $$ perspective) how quickly you can burn thru multiple 30 round mags. Then when I shot out my AR mags, I transitioned to my 1911 with follow-up shots. What a blast
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Sounds like fun to me.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's nice to have wide-open space to have local ranges. That's one thing I miss about eastern WA.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I hear ya about the fire danger. I finally got my black powder guns out this month after a self imposed ban on their use because of the drought and high winds here in western Oklahoma.

Michael

Glad you had a great time Chaplain Scott. The cooler weather is sure a nice change.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Our range (local gun club--VERY rural) has been closed the whole stinkin' summer, due to extreme drought and corresponding fire danger. So, yesterday, I carved out some time and went to the range. (It was a gorgeous day, with mixed clouds and sunshine, a couple of flakes of snow and about 30 degrees, and 10-15 mph wind)

I took a Carbine class from our local county SWAT guys in July, and did a hasty (and rough) zero there, that I was unsatisfied with. So, I finally had the chance to really dial in my new Aimpoint T-1, and the folding Troy Tritium sights from LaRue. I was very, very pleased.

Then I set up one of my "bad guy" photo targets from LE targets, and practiced what I learned at the carbine class. It is absolutely amazing (and frightening from a $$ perspective) how quickly you can burn thru multiple 30 round mags. Then when I shot out my AR mags, I transitioned to my 1911 with follow-up shots. What a blast
    That's why I only load one magazine at a time. Makes it last longer. I can still burn through a case if I stay at the range too long, though.

Sounds like a good day. Better squeeze in some more before the weather really goes to crap. Looks like we're headed into winter in a hurry this year. Makes sense though, since last winter was so mild.

Links