Is this too good to be true?

This is a discussion on Is this too good to be true? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A buddy of mine has a Benelli M4 tactical semi-auto shotgun and I am extremely jealous/envious. Unfortunately right now that is no where near my ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Is this too good to be true?

Is this too good to be true?

A buddy of mine has a Benelli M4 tactical semi-auto shotgun and I am extremely jealous/envious. Unfortunately right now that is no where near my budget. I have considered a Saiga-12 in order to get into the semi-auto shotgun group but i am constantly hearing of issues or serious amounts of money required to get them to run well.

And......then I found this. SAR Semi Auto Special Purpose Shotgun (SARSASP)- Sarsilmaz | EAA Corporation/ USSG

I understand that you get what you pay for--I got it. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has held/shot/purchased one of these and what you think. I haven't been able to find any reviews online except for a company who is obviously selling them so I won't trust that. He did say that they make a similar shotgun that is based off a very famous Italian brand (I assume Benelli-they look very similar). The company is a Turkish one and Turkey, if im not mistaken, has the 4th largest standing military in the world. That leads me to believe that they probably have access to pretty decent weapons and I wondered if this might be one of them. Would the company's efforts to get into the US market explain such a low price

Let me know what yall think. I assume its too good to be true but.........
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    You can walk into Wal-Mart and buy a Mossberg 935 with a tactical muzzle chock, all blacked out etc, for $500. That's semi auto, and already has a tactical breacher shoke and fiber optic front sight. Quite an effective tool, and all ready to have a laser or tac light clamped onto it below the barrel.

I got a Mossberg 930 combo package 18.5" Open cylinder barrel for HD or a 28" ported choke tube barrel for hunting,5+1 00 buck or slugs for HD cost me under $500 2 years ago
    My buddy has a Benelli M4 SBS that was a US Secret Service tradein,has a surefire forearm and is fun to shoot,but he uses a Saiga 12 for HD
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No doubt I would jump on the USA-built Mossy 930 SPX Tactical wayyyy before I'd buy an imported autoloading social shotgun for the same price. In fact, I think the 930 is worth about 75% more than its current price point. The budget-minded 3 Gun guys are buying 'em like wildfire.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If you're sold on the Benelli, just wait. There are some good shops with 12 month layaway. I'm not a shotgun guy, but my Benelli is certainly nice.... even though I essentially traded it on some Striders.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

The SARSASP is like a fined tuned machine.
    Their copy writer needs to be "fined tuned," too...

If they can't write English to advertise their product on a World Wide Web site, how well can they write the procedures for building the gun on the factory floor?

Details are important.... If you're gonna mess up the details that "represent" your item... how many details are you gonna miss when you build the thing.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Yes, it is too good to be true.
    Rollo likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I'm with jon on this one... If you really want a Benelli, find a shop with a lay-away plan or start your own "Benelli Fund" and stash a few bucks aside whenever you can for it.
    I set aside a small portion of every paycheck for the "Fun Fund" and it actually grows pretty quickly and comes in handy when that awesome deal on LC 5.56 bulk ammo comes along. I still keep hoping for that transferrable DIAS that doesn't cost more than half a year's mortgage payments, but alas, the fund doesn't get *that* fat.

best of luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    0311, first hello from a fellow 2/8er.

I agree with the guys on getting a Mossberg or start the Benelli fund before going with the import.

I do want to address one thing though. I run AK's and Saiga shotguns a lot. I have never had an issue with getting one to run right out of the box. The problem arises when folks want to be tacticool and shoot a 15 round mag or a 20 round drum. Of course they find one's that are 3 for $12.00 and then blame the gun. The other thing with Saiga's is that they have to come into the country in a sporting configuration. Again if you want a more tactical gun you have to get them converted. This again is where money comes into play.

Most folks with a screwdriver and basis skills can bolt on a pistol grip and folding stock and call it converted. A true conversion entails moving the trigger group and trigger guard to the rear and installing a pistol grip. Some stocks are truly screw on again you get what you pay for. There are companies out there that offer Saiga's in all different configurations from stock to full conversions. I would take a look at Atlantic Firearms they have some good guns.

I send my guns to Rifle Dynamics in Las Vegas. I have certain things that I want on the gun and need the gun to do. I purchased a new Saiga on here I believe from another member and sent it to them. By the time they are done it will be right at a year and about $2000 in addition to the price of the gun but to me it is worth it. You can do whatever you want to them and they keep on working just like a AK that is why I use them.

saiga converted.jpg

This is one of the examples of the Atlantic Firearms guns that they converted.

Here is what the RD guns look like.

Saiga shotgun.jpg
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Home Defense - If thats the intended main use, I'd want something reliable. A FTF, or FTE in a REAL situation could mean you or your family are put in harms way.

IMO: Remington 870, or Mossberg 500 pump guns are the choice.

If you want to shoot clays, birds or Deer as a secondary use, you can purchase a number of barrels for each of the shotguns listed above.

An example: I started shooting clays in June this year, the wife asked to tag along and check it out, she liked what she saw, and asked me if she could get a shotgun that would bust clays (trap, skeet, sporting clays) but didnt want to pay 500+ for it. I took our HD Remmy 870 synthetic, got a 28" rem choke barrel and a set of chokes for about 220 and we went a shoot'n.

She still uses that remmy on the trap field and we got her a CZ Readhead deluxe 20ga for skeet. As I said, the 870 Remmy or Mossberg 500 platform will allow you to swap into the intended use for very little money. Now when we're done shooting we come home clean the shotguns and she pops the 18" back on the remmy and loads it up with some Winchester PDX's and places it back beside the bed.

GL to you on your search. I prefer simple for HD, easier to rely on.

NachO

Finding Out!

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0311 View Post
    A buddy of mine has a Benelli M4 tactical semi-auto shotgun and I am extremely jealous/envious. Unfortunately right now that is no where near my budget. I have considered a Saiga-12 in order to get into the semi-auto shotgun group but i am constantly hearing of issues or serious amounts of money required to get them to run well.

And......then I found this. SAR Semi Auto Special Purpose Shotgun (SARSASP)- Sarsilmaz | EAA Corporation/ USSG

I understand that you get what you pay for--I got it. I just wanted to check and see if anyone else has held/shot/purchased one of these and what you think. I haven't been able to find any reviews online except for a company who is obviously selling them so I won't trust that. He did say that they make a similar shotgun that is based off a very famous Italian brand (I assume Benelli-they look very similar). The company is a Turkish one and Turkey, if im not mistaken, has the 4th largest standing military in the world. That leads me to believe that they probably have access to pretty decent weapons and I wondered if this might be one of them. Would the company's efforts to get into the US market explain such a low price

Let me know what yall think. I assume its too good to be true but.........
    From what I can see this Turkish made gun is well thought out and well made, they seem to have copied the
    Benelli to some extent, and the reviews I have read were mostly good. In researching a magazine extention
    I have found that the four round extension for the Benelli will most likely fit the SAR. I chose this gun for two
    reasons. One: because of a decrease in dexterity due to neuropathy I wanted a semi-auto and Two: Though I preferred to the Mossberg 930 SPX? I could not afford it on disability. So I managed to get an unbelievably
    good deal on the SAR. If it works at all I have done well. I am a fairly good gunsmith so I will deal with any
    problems and post it here. I will also get the extension tube and let you know how that works. So if things work
    out I will have a 9 shot semi-auto riot type shotgun for around $375.00!
    I have had both the 500 and 590 Mossbergs and loved them, used the 590 in combat as a somewhat close
    range backup and a 1911 for really close range backup, and a machetti when you run out of bullets. Which happened more often that anyone would ever want in Angola Africa. but with age I find the thought of an auto
    shotgun to be more reasonable than I did before I turned sixty.

Links