Any one use PS90 for Home defense?

This is a discussion on Any one use PS90 for Home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ICE tried the 5.7 for about 3 mos and switched back to 5.56 as well....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any one use PS90 for Home defense?

ICE tried the 5.7 for about 3 mos and switched back to 5.56 as well.

2. Remove Ads

I have no interest in the 5.7, so I have no dog in this hunt.

That said - I see that there are JHPs available for the 5.7. I am also a firm believer in firing until the threat ceases. Unless you are using a 40mm grenade launcher and blowing your adversary to pieces (very messy inside the home and hard to tell where the shrapnel will go...) you are going to be firing multiple rounds. With minimal recoil and 50 rounds in the mag, seems like you have the ability to get off quite a few bursts before needing to reload.

Basically, I see this as a higher-capacity sub-gun - no better and no worse but with more ammo in the mag. With AP ammo for military use, it is arguably better than a pistol-caliber sub gun due to the ability to defeat soft body armor - but since that ammo is not available to civilians, it is a moot point.

It is not really a rifle (it is a PDW), so saying that a 5.56 is better is kinda stating the obvious. Also note that not everyone lives in a state where getting a SBR and/or a suppressor is an option.

The bigger issue is deciding to move inside the home, which is the stated reason for wanting a more compact arm. Personally, unless you have no choice, I feel this is a very bad tactic. Much better to hunker down and let the BG(s) come to you - in which case the length of the arm is much less of an issue.

If you have family on the other end of the home - really think hard about relocating them closer to your own bedroom, if at all possible. Even if it means some home remodeling. That's probably money better spent, than spending it on SBRs, tax stamps, suppressors, and the like - only to end up dead because you tried to clear the house by yourself and ended up getting jumped while clearing a corner.

I know, I know - home remodeling isn't as sexy as getting all the cool SWAT toys, but the wife will probably appreciate it more.

As always, JMHO and YMMV. Carry on.

The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

There are multiple examples of a single SWAT officer firing in the double digits to stop a threat. I fully agree in firing multiple rounds, but this is taking it to the extreme and the reason most departments and agencies have moved away from it after officer involved shootings.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Its only good against armor if you are shooting the AP round made for it. Currently, that round is unavailable to civilians.
    Yeah I agree. I was only saying, it's only an advantage in the handgun world. When used in rifles, it's armor piercing capabilities are nothing special. I'll take a 5.56 and 9mm (or .45) combo over two 5.7 guns any day.

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    There are multiple examples of a single SWAT officer firing in the double digits to stop a threat. I fully agree in firing multiple rounds, but this is taking it to the extreme and the reason most departments and agencies have moved away from it after officer involved shootings.
    But you can carry twice the amount of 5.7 as you can 5.56!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <------ Another thing I see a lot of 5.7 guys say. You'll need to shoot a threat more than twice the amount as with a 5.56 so it doesn't really matter. Besides, where am I carrying this ammo? Am I trekking across the country on foot? I'm just a dude trying to defend my house. I'm not super concerned with the amount of ammo I can carry.

You guys are missing the point. The comparison is 5.7 carbine vs a handgun. Not 5.7 carbine vs a rifle.

Not everyone can get a 5.56 SBR.

Personally, if I had a need for a long gun that was really short (a "short gun?" ) I'd just as soon use a coach gun - backed up by my sidearm.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I like my rifles for long distance. For defense I always say pistols or maybe a shotgun.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    You guys are missing the point. The comparison is 5.7 carbine vs a handgun. Not 5.7 carbine vs a rifle.Not everyone can get a 5.56 SBR.Personally, if I had a need for a long gun that was really short (a "short gun?" ) I'd just as soon use a coach gun - backed up by my sidearm.
    Sure, but he was speaking specifically of the ps90, as was I with officer involved shootings.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

If nothing else maybe the bad guy is a gamer or from belgium or something and stop what hes doing to complement me on my "P90". For not having the option of a SBR, and not wanting to save up for a bullpup 5.56 that most likely cant be shot off hand except for F2000? That more than x2 the price, i still like the PS90 option.

Do you have links of shot placement and ammo used in deparment shootings. After a couple in the chest id be moving up if still required
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Sure, but he was speaking specifically of the ps90, as was I with officer involved shootings.
    I'm confused - which happens on a regular basis.

The PS90 is a carbine chambered in 5.7 mm. Are you saying this is not a step up from a handgun? Or are you saying a pistol caliber sub gun is better? I don't think anyone is saying that the 5.7 is as effective as a 5.56.

No, the PS90 isn't an assault rifle, and certainly not a battle rifle. It is what it was designed to be - a small PDW that is a step up from a handgun, but not quite a rifle.

Again, I have no dog in this hunt. But there are plenty of failures to stop with all kinds of handguns, and even with the 5.56. The way you deal with it is to train to do the Mozambique drill.

If the S ever does HTF, then I have a stockpile of .22 LR to fall back on if I ever burn through my more capable calibers. Is it ideal? No. But it will likely get the job done if need be.

Certainly, if you have the finances to get a SBR (and live in a state where that is legal) then go for it. Otherwise, the PS90 can fit that role. Just realize that it is what it is, and train accordingly.
    CT Lasers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links