Any one use PS90 for Home defense?

This is a discussion on Any one use PS90 for Home defense? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being the LE price til the end of the month is $799 I ordered one. I want something shorter and more manuverable than the long ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any one use PS90 for Home defense?

Any one use PS90 for Home defense?

Being the LE price til the end of the month is $799 I ordered one. I want something shorter and more manuverable than the long guns I currently have.

Current Long guns

FNAR 20" with scope (not practcal and way to much penetration)
    SKS tapco stock and foregrip but 20" barrell (to long but not terrible)
    Maverick 88 w/28" barrell (super long)

Handguns
    PM9 (kinda small)
    Nagant M1895 (kinda weak)
    Glock 20 (not bad but not a long gun)
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    PS90 has always been on my list of most wanted, I would think with its size it would be easier to maneuver inside a house than an AR. I have no problem with the 5.7 round, but you will get a lot of opinions on that subject. You might cruise the FN forums FN Forum / FN Gun Forums
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I had one that I SBR'd. A lot of fun to shoot and great size for defensive use, but I can't recommend the bullet for home defense.

I'll post back with why. It's failed in numerous shootings. I'll say this, it you items to use it, be sure to train to fire numerous rounds (4 or 5) center mass before even considering assessing the result.

I currently have an AR (was a 10.5" but now a 14.4" until I get another 10.5") and of course handguns.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

I wouldn't use it if I lived in an urban environment, that 5.7 round can travel a long way.

I'm going to say listen to Jon on this one... Inho 5.56 does what it does because it has the velocity to do it. 5.56 especially 55 grain tumbles and breaks apart at the cannelure (so I've heard)... Combined with the large temporary wound cavity characteristics of a fast moving rifle bullet yields good results. I flirted with the ps90 for home defense myself but everything I read about the ammo performance turned me off. It doesn't have velocity for the large temporary wound cavity and doesn't have bullet size for direct cutting and crushing.

Now I will freely admit I'm not the most versed on this subject so if any of this is wrong and you can tell me why please correct me... But this is my current understanding of the fn 5.7 round.

SBR's are not a legal option for me, And I don't see a need that 5.56/6.8SPC/300 BLK can do significantly better than my 7.62x39 or 7.62x51(at range)
    With the speed the projectiles are going SS198LF at 2500ft/sec measured from 10ft it should do internal damage from going that speed but lack major overpenetration due to the weight and passing through a body to likely penetrate a house and kill the neighbors. If I have shoot someone 51 times than atleast I have the option, most guns don't give you that option and if there is 50 guys I rather have 50 rnds and not a heavy drum either.
    Mossberg Maverick 88, Saiga 12, FN FNAR, SKS, SKS Paratrooper, AK-74, Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, Browning A bolt II, Kahr PM9, Hi Point C9, Glock 20 (29 chop), Walther P22, Tauras PT92AF, Colt LE6920, Marlin 60SN, Mak-90

Distinguished Member
    The '90 looks like it's a blast to shoot (no pun intended), but I'm happy with my 5.56 AR Pistol for HD. There's a good variety of effective ammunition and it's the platform with which I'm most familiar... which has a great deal of value in the dark, under stress :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

A large SWAT team used to think the same way you are now about the P90's. Five shootings, one dead bad guy and one or two others that didn't stop had them rethinking it. Went back to short 5.56 rifles and 25 shootings with 24 dead bad guys that were immediately incapacitated, they're still using 5.56. 5.7 looks good on paper, but it's just not and there's no way around it.

These shootings I mentioned were not one shot, they were multiple center mass hits.

Just like the 4.6mm, the 5.7 does serve a purpose. It's a very specific purpose though that doesn't apply to civilians or even law enforcement. It works well suppressed and full auto. There are a few instaces of the HK 4.6mm peppering dirtbags overseas while the badguys in the next room slept right through it until their turn. This won't be done with suppressed 5.56 rifles. So, when absolute stealth is the key, the 5.7 can be effective when fired fully auto. Other than that, it's a range toy.

The above SWAT team was one of a few that shared these experiences. I will never recommend this bullet for anything but one very specific use. Buy it for fun, save the other rifles for defensive use.

On a side note, the PS90 is a very relibale weapon and very controllable.A 5.56 loaded with 75gr TAP will be extremely while posing less risk of overpenetration. Buckshot, 7.62x39 and all defensive handgun calibers will pose more risk to those on the other side of the wall than 5.56.

That's one thing 5.56 will do better than 7.62x39 or x51.

Believe me, I wanted to like this for serious use. Mine had an 8" barrel and was so easy to handle. I work close protection and something like this would be perfect. Instead, I have to stick to a 10.5" 5.56. It's just not worth it.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Hey, it killed a lot of Goa'uld and Wraith in Stargate.
    BigFish, GregDepot and itschuck like this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

RKM
    I've also heard many bad things about the 5.7 round as far as incapacitation goes. The advocates will argue that you can team it up with a FiveseveN handgun and use the same ammo, it's very good against armor and even smaller and lighter than 5.56 therefore being able to carry more. The only thing I think is a valid argument is that it's good against armor, but that argument is usually used when comparing the handgun vs. other traditional handgun rounds. When compared to 5.56, the difference is negligible. And you're chance of having to carry a bunch of ammo while walking a great distance is slim. As well as the advantage of you handgun and rifle taking the same ammo... that's nice... but really.... who cares?

I'd take 5.56 over 5.7 any day.

I'd like to have a PS90 for fun because I do think they're cool. But I wouldn't consider it a defensive firearm.

But in the end these are just my opinions. I have no experience shooting people, thankfully. Nor have I shot a 5.7 chambered firearm. I'm not opposed to the round, but I just don't see if as a good defensive round when there is 5.56 and other options available that have been getting the job done for years.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by RKM View Post
    I've also heard many bad things about the 5.7 round as far as incapacitation goes. The advocates will argue that you can team it up with a FiveseveN handgun and use the same ammo, it's very good against armor and even smaller and lighter than 5.56 therefore being able to carry more. The only thing I think is a valid argument is that it's good against armor, but that argument is usually used when comparing the handgun vs. other traditional handgun rounds. When compared to 5.56, the difference is negligible. And you're chance of having to carry a bunch of ammo while walking a great distance is slim. As well as the advantage of you handgun and rifle taking the same ammo... that's nice... but really.... who cares?

I'd take 5.56 over 5.7 any day.

I'd like to have a PS90 for fun because I do think they're cool. But I wouldn't consider it a defensive firearm.

But in the end these are just my opinions. I have no experience shooting people, thankfully. Nor have I shot a 5.7 chambered firearm. I'm not opposed to the round, but I just don't see if as a good defensive round when there is 5.56 and other options available that have been getting the job done for years.
    Its only good against armor if you are shooting the AP round made for it. Currently, that round is unavailable to civilians.
    Katana likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Exactly. Even using the AP rounds, it's still no match for a barrier blind 5.56 from a short barrel. Pistol caliber subgun vs the 5.7, I still only see an advantage with armor.

To me, it's a niche caliber for offense use. I spoken to a couple guys that have used the 4.6mm MP7 and the one said you really need to pepper your target to put them down. The same applies to the 5.7.

Sounds like they need to aim a little higher. A round going that fast through the heart or brain should deter the attack even vs 50 people most home invader dont have a armor over their heart and brain

Have you considered an AUG or an MSAR? Same 5.56 caliber as an AR-15 but shorter and more maneuverable. Seriously, this is the lightest and fastest carbine I've ever owned. The integral scope is only 1.5 power and so still works great for close quarters with the added benefit of slight magnification. You can however opt for the flat-top version and put a red-dot on her if you wish. Here's mine:

I considered the MSAR in 5.56 and 10mm (not sure if was ever produced)
    But i think they were more than 799 and id like to be able to have it ambi just incase. Since I have a 7.62x39 asualt rifles seem redundant for my collection at this point. Since I typical rely on 3" barrell 9mm to carry, I feel the PS90 is a step up. At work I have to rely on the military to keep me safe. It seems like short barrel 5.56 is kinda loud for indoors, even the M16vsM4 there is a noticable difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links