Newbie coming onto the rifle/shotgun forum...

This is a discussion on Newbie coming onto the rifle/shotgun forum... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Question: how can you tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun by looking at them ? I think I know the primary differences ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mpbond
  • 2 Post By 10thmtn
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm

Thread: Newbie coming onto the rifle/shotgun forum...

Newbie coming onto the rifle/shotgun forum...

Question: how can you tell the difference between a rifle and a shotgun by looking at them? I think I know the primary differences between the two (rifle bullets spin and go farther and are more accurate, shotgun bullets kinda...lob into something and then burst into pellets or something? And are good for shooting game), but I wondered if there was a way to tell the difference just by looking at them.

I feel like I'm getting to know handguns really well, but I'm ready to expand my fund of knowledge. Teach me!
    Proud owner of a Sig Sauer P238 SAS Explosive Space Modulator.

"I played the powerless in too many dark scenes. And I was blessed with a birth and a death, and I guess I just want some say in between." - Ani DiFranco, "Talk to me Now."

2. Remove Ads

A shotgun will usually have a larger ejector port on the side and a larger diameter barrel. Those are the most obvious differences just at a glance. Most sporting shotguns don't have sights like a rifle, but will have a bead at the end of the barrel where the front sight would be and maybe a bead half way down the barrel. Slug guns or tactical shotguns may have rifle style sights.

edited for clarity.
    aus71383 likes this.

The business end of a shotgun barrel is much, much, MUCH larger than any rifle.

Rifles fire high-pressure cartridges, so the barrel walls need to be thicker. Shotguns fire at a lower pressure, so the barrel walls are thinner. Thus, the bore is much larger on a shotgun.

Most shotguns (other than dedicated slug guns) are smooth bore. They can fire many different kinds of shells. The primary ones are birdshot (small pellets); buckshot (much larger pellets); and slugs (one large projectile).

Hope this helps - tons of info out there!
    BaconHunter and aus71383 like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

los
    Anything with a full length Rib on top of the barrel is most likely a Shotgun. Dual barrels is most likely a Shotgun. Fancy Fowl engraving on the reciever is most likely a Shotgun.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I guess the easiest tell is look at the open end of the barrel.

Shotgun: approx. size of a nickel

Rifle: depending on caliber approx. size of pencil (some a bit larger or smaller)
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Well, it can seem a bit confusing, particularly if viewed at a glance from some distance.

What I look for is: fatter barrel (generally, if 20ga or 12ga), fatter spare cartridge storage (generally, whether a magazine or a mag tube underneath the barrel), a fatter forestock assembly (generally), and a larger ejection port area. Though, on the smaller-caliber shotguns, even these distinctions can be minor.

Reality is, at a glance both a rifle and shotgun can essentially look quite similar. Both can have the same "wood" or "black rifle" look to it, have a telescoping butt-stock assembly, have similar sights, even have a similar detachable AK or AR style "banana" magazine out the bottom. Both can be lever-action, or pump action, or semi-auto. Even the ejection port areas can resemble one another, and both can have similar "cocking" bolt handles. It can be confusing.

If you want to really go nuts, compare something like the Marlin 336 .30-30 lever-action rifle to the Marlin 410 .410cal lever-action shotgun, which appear nearly identical to one another except for the caliber of cartridge (shell) used. Or, possibly the FN P90 semi-auto bullpup-style rifle to the Halo P12 semi-auto bullpup style shotgun. Or just look at any one of the Kriss designs, to see if you can even figure out whether it's animal, vegatable or mineral (rifle, shotgun, machine gun, toaster). To get really confused, check the Izhmash Saiga AK-style shotguns as compared to the Saiga AK-style rifle counterparts.

Invariably, though, a shotgun's sound and ejected shell will be obviously different; no rifle makes that sound, or ejects anything like the fatter spent shell casing that the shotgun does.

One of the better ways to get into the swing of more quickly identifying the typical differences is to leverage Google or Dogpile (or some other decent search) and look for images of "12ga shotgun" and "bolt action rifle" and "lever-action rifle."
    LaraCroft10 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links