New Black Rifle

This is a discussion on New Black Rifle within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well after digging around on the forums and drooling while looking at other peoples ARs, I decided to take the plunge myself. I walked into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Black Rifle

New Black Rifle

Well after digging around on the forums and drooling while looking at other peoples ARs, I decided to take the plunge myself.

I walked into the store overflowing with internet knowledge and looking for some specifics: all of which they had nothing in stock. Having dealt with the place before and both my friend and I having received good service there, I talked through it with the guy and settled on the Rock River Arms LAR-15.

So far I love it. It's pretty bare save for iron sights, and that's enough for me for now. The only thing I don't like is the magazine. It's metal, but it feels cheap.

I have a few magpuls on the way, as well as a bipod.

This was somewhat of an impulse buy since I hadn't planned on buying it so soon, but I figured I has better get in on the action in case SHTF next Tuesday and I'm out of luck forever.

My list of definite things to get now are a sling, an optic and a flashlight, and to hit the information superhighway and start the mind-boggling research of what's out there for training and accessories. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go with a holo or a scope, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of opinions one way or another.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

RKM
    Fixed rear sight and folding front? A little backwards I'd either put a fixed front on, or a folding rear. You don't really HAVE to, but I would. Don't worry about the mag, you have Magpul's on the way. And you can pop a Magpul GI follower in that mag if it doesn't already have one, and it should run pretty well. All my GI mags use Magpul followers.

I'd only get a magnified scope if you're planning on using it constantly over 100 yards. Otherwise, I'd get a 0x RDS optic, personally. You can always pop a 3 or 4x magnifier behind the RDS if you need magnification. But if you want a scope, go for it. Just make sure you shoot a bunch with your irons first. I ignore my irons most of the time, but on occasion I'll turn my Aimpoint off and spend a day using just irons. It's good to know how to use them, in case you HAVE to someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Spovik View Post
    Well after digging around on the forums and drooling while looking at other peoples ARs, I decided to take the plunge myself.

I walked into the store overflowing with internet knowledge and looking for some specifics: all of which they had nothing in stock. Having dealt with the place before and both my friend and I having received good service there, I talked through it with the guy and settled on the Rock River Arms LAR-15.

So far I love it. It's pretty bare save for iron sights, and that's enough for me for now. The only thing I don't like is the magazine. It's metal, but it feels cheap.

You can add so much to these ARs, however if you have ever shot one 600Yds open sights and hit your target you know that feeling of accomplishment. Especially since at that distance the man size target is 1/16" wide, 1/2 the width of your front sight post. Man I love these things!

I have a few magpuls on the way, as well as a bipod.

This was somewhat of an impulse buy since I hadn't planned on buying it so soon, but I figured I has better get in on the action in case SHTF next Tuesday and I'm out of luck forever.

My list of definite things to get now are a sling, an optic and a flashlight, and to hit the information superhighway and start the mind-boggling research of what's out there for training and accessories. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to go with a holo or a scope, but I'm sure I'll find plenty of opinions one way or another.
    You can add so much to these ARs, however if you have ever shot one 600Yds open sights and hit your target you know that feeling of accomplishment. Especially since at that distance the man size target is 1/16" wide, 1/2 the width of your front sight post. Man I love these things!
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Distinguished Member
    Looks nice! Congrats :)

Where'd you buy it, if I might ask?
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Maine Military Supply in Holden.

OMG ......... all this is starting to make me think

I almost could have enough and an AR is on my short list but there was a couple things I was wanting first. Or do I jump and get one now?????

Very nice buy Spovik !!!! enjoy it

nice rifle! rra is good stuff! $?
    EDC=Ruger LCP
    Florida CWFL
    NRA Member

I just got my first AR also, but built it from a kit & stripped lower. It works great. Now the fun begins with deciding what I want on it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    OMG ......... all this is starting to make me think

I almost could have enough and an AR is on my short list but there was a couple things I was wanting first. Or do I jump and get one now?????

Very nice buy Spovik !!!! enjoy it
    Have you looked at these? The price is very good.

Military Surplus Rifles and Shotguns - Romanian, Saiga, Yugo SKS, Draco AK47, and more!

^^^ thanks atcimmy for the link ^^^

But I have my sights set on a BCM or DD, which my LGS stocks both. Their about $1.3K OTD and he said he'd add a soft case, a sling, and an extra mag too.

I'm torn between getting one of those or a couple other things?

Nice. Congrats!

Awesome rifle... I did the same thing, drooled over all other pictures, drove myself crazy reading every forum. I went in looking at a Colt or Smith and went out with a Rock River Arms Tactical Operator2. The guy showed me all the AR..high end LMT, FN etc. He shoots 3 gun and has used RRA with no probs after 1000's and 1000's of rounds. 1:9 twist fine with 55grn bullets,,trigger is amazing,quad rail free float, flip up front and rear sights. I think for the $$ hard to beat...Great choice..Enjoy and get use to the iron sights before getting any optics
    "Be not ye afraid of them: remember the LORD, which is great and terrible, and fight for your brethren, your sons, and your daughters, your wives, and your houses." Nehemiah 4:14

Thanks all. I do love it and I'm going to stick with the irons for a while. After some more time with it, the magazine isn't that big a deal to me, but now I'm a little grumpy that the stock doesn't lock up solid, and I'm on the fence with the front sight, with the sling points flapping around, time will tell. I just need a palette of ammo and my own range!

Very Nice. I just picked up my first AR a couple months ago after saying I would never want one. I have to say those black rifles are addicting. You will have a blast shooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
    ^^^ thanks atcimmy for the link ^^^

But I have my sights set on a BCM or DD, which my LGS stocks both. Their about $1.3K OTD and he said he'd add a soft case, a sling, and an extra mag too.

I'm torn between getting one of those or a couple other things?
    I would get the AR now,it's hard telling no matter who wins the election if there would be a complete ban on any future civilian purchase AR15's period.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links