Shotgun Purchase Advice Needed

This is a discussion on Shotgun Purchase Advice Needed within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of picking up a shotgun in the next month or two; mainly for HD but also the occasional clay shooting. I'm looking at ...

View Poll Results: Which shotgun to get for HD/SHTF

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mossberg 590SP

9 26.47%
  • Mossberg 930SPX

1 2.94%
  • Remmington 870

24 70.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Shotgun Purchase Advice Needed

I'm thinking of picking up a shotgun in the next month or two; mainly for HD but also the occasional clay shooting.

I'm looking at primarily three different guns, and was looking for some insight from people who may have/have used any or all of them. Any other suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking at:
    Mossberg 590SP
    Mossberg 930SPX (leaning towards this one, really like the pistol grip)
    Remmington 870

Again, primarily for HD or SHTF scenarios, with a little bit of clay shooting here and there.

Look at that 100% for Mossy 590 SP. I have this gun and love it. Especially in the SHTF scenario. 9 shots, and you can do 2 sizes of shells. Whats not to love?!?!?!

The pistol grip is a mixed bag on a shotty. Many believe that this means that it will be shot from the hip. I get the idea, but how many ARs are we seeing shot from the hip and they have the pistol grip? I personally prefer the non pistol grip varietal.
    Last edited by BigJon10125; October 30th, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: More to say!
    SuperRuger101 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Moderator
    Mossberg 590, less things to go wrong than a semi and it has the highest mag capacity of the ones you listed
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

I'm an 870 guy myself. I have an 870 Express Synthetic.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

There are no wrong answers on your list. I like the Remington 870 but the Mossy 590 & 930 are GREAT shotguns. But you really don't want to play clay sports with a pistol grip. It's like wearing combat boots...on a basketball court.
    atctimmy and SuperRuger101 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    If for HD use, any will do well, but, like you, I like having a pistol grip but with a expanding stock. For shooting clays, you will be severely hampered by he cylinder barrel on these Mossy's unless you get a screw in choke barrel for the field. For multi-use from be ones provided I would go with the 870. Personally, I prefer the Mossy 500.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I have an 870 that I've set up for pheasant, trap, and home defense... I recommend it, it's rugged, no frills, and gets the job done with an overwhelming number of aftermarket options out there.

Straight up Mossberg 500 sporting combo. (assuming they still sell it)
    Comes with a (IIRC) 28 inch accu choke barrel (wing shooting and clays etc) and a 20 inch cylinder bore with rifle sights for HD or slugs.
    You can get an 18 1/2 riot barrel for under $100 if you really want one and pistol grips and fore ends etc for under $50. You can also get rifled barrels in 12g and also inline black powder muzzle loader.
    The only shortcoming is the magazine capacity is limited because the barrel mounts to the end of the magazine tube. But realistically speaking do you think you will find yourself in a situation where you will use more than 5-6 rounds and not have time to top off? Some people might, but I don't expect to.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Mossberg 930 SPX - superb

You're gonna have many more options for accessories for the Remington 870 or a copy. I have a NEF H&R Pardner Pump that's an 870 copy made of steel (little bit heavier than the original) and they typically retail for around $180. Cheaperthandirt.com has many accessories.

I have a pair of mavrick 88's one with a 26" barrel and one with an 18.5" barrel. They are almost exactly the same as a Mossy 500. The biggest difference is the crossbar safty on the 88... I believe the barrels and most other parts are interchangable between the 500 and 88. They make an 88 with a 8 round tube I believe, my friend has one. I prefer the 5 round tube, just because I think it has better balance and the barrels are easier to find. the 88 is cheaper, and I can have 2 instead of one... one for me and one for the wife when SHTF. next to get added to the cabinet are a pair of mosins, and then a pair of AK's...
    fail_187 likes this.

Mossberg here. They are good shotguns and they give the shooter more bang for the buck.

VIP Member
    I have a 930 and a 500. I like them both but if money is not a concern then go with the SPX. They are, IMO, a super value.

Re: Shotgun Purchase Advice Needed

I lean towards the Remington, but that's just because an 870 was my first shotgun.

Your choices represent the most popular for a reason. Any one of them would serve you very well.

Go with your gut feeling and have a blast.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    atctimmy likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member
    I'll throw another vote in for the maverick 88's. Got it on sale at acadamey for $160, came with a 28" barrel. Got a 18.5" mosseberg barrel for a HD setup. Have taken it to shoot clays a few times, threw on the long barrel, ran flawless. I'll prob get another one some day just to have two. I'll get a nice shotgun one day when I have more money to play with, for now I like my cheap maverick.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links