Buying AR parts, may have screwed up... help

This is a discussion on Buying AR parts, may have screwed up... help within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the PSA upper below imgp0003-4_3.jpg and I bought the rail below, the rail has not come in yet but a closer look makes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying AR parts, may have screwed up... help

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

I have the PSA upper below
    imgp0003-4_3.jpg

and I bought the rail below, the rail has not come in yet but a closer look makes me wonder if it going to fit...

2810069020984040_1.jpg

Any of you in-the-know guys know?

Do you have the link to where you bought each item from? It should say what the sizes are in the discription.
    Molon Labe

It is hard to tell from the photos alone. It looks like you have a carbine length gas system on the upper, and those might be rifle length handguards. If you wanted to make a mock dissipator setup you are all set. Hard to tell what lengths the parts are without links as mentioned.

I think ^^ is correct. It looks like you have a 16 or 20" barrel and that handguard looks to be at least that long. I believe there are extended gas tubes and gas blocks that will work with that hand guard as long as it is not longer than the barrel, but it will take some work. There are plenty of rails that will work with your AR you just need to make sure it's CARBINE length not RIFLE. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

I might be wrong,but from what I know those handguards won't work IIRC the dissipator rifles have the gas ports in the barrel drilled the same distance in the 16" barrel as they do for a 20" barrel which is why they use Rifle length handguards,standard carbine barrels,either way it's probably cheaper to buy a set of handguards
    AR-15/M4 Double Lined 16" Carbine Forends New
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

You can shave off your FSP to make it a low profile gas block, and put those rails on, but the hole in the front of those rails for the FSP is going to look awful with nothing there.

Agree with the above, post the link where you bought those.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    the handguards are rifle length per the listing. Will not work without some serious modification.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

And I doubt you got authentic Knight's stuff for $90
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Should be here in a few days... I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    You can shave off your FSP to make it a low profile gas block, and put those rails on, but the hole in the front of those rails for the FSP is going to look awful with nothing there.Agree with the above, post the link where you bought those.
    That's not a cutout rail. It's a 12" RAS meant to replace the plastic handguards behind a rifle length front sight block. This is the rail used by the Marine Corps on their current M16.

So, he can't use it unless he makes his rifle a dissipator. The rail will not work any other way. It needs a front sight block, or actually the handguard cap, in addition to the delta ring, in order to stay in place.

The M5 RAS is $390, but seconds from KAC are $150 new.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

My guess. You bought a typical 16" AR ..... with typical short hand guards, and have ordered the mid-length hand guards for a mid-length upper. If so, they won't fit.

You can see the difference here :

short : M4 Madness - 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

mid-length : PSA 16'' Chrome-lined, Premium, Mid-Length Dissipator - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

If you contact them before they ship them, they may be able to switch them to the correct one's. Otherwise, you may get to pay shipping costs to send them back and a restocking fee.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    That's not a cutout rail. It's a 12" RAS meant to replace the plastic handguards behind a rifle length front sight block. This is the rail used by the Marine Corps on their current M16.

So, he can't use it unless he makes his rifle a dissipator. The rail will not work any other way. It needs a front sight block, or actually the handguard cap, in addition to the delta ring, in order to stay in place.

The M5 RAS is $390, but seconds from KAC are $150 new.
    My bad. In that itty bitty picture, it looked like it was a standard 2 piece drop in FF handguard.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My guess. You bought a typical 16" AR ..... with typical short hand guards, and have ordered the mid-length hand guards for a mid-length upper. If so, they won't fit.

You can see the difference here :

short : M4 Madness - 16'' CMV Chrome-Lined Stripped Upper - Without BCG or Charging Handle - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

mid-length : PSA 16'' Chrome-lined, Premium, Mid-Length Dissipator - Barreled Upper Assemblies - AR-15

If you contact them before they ship them, they may be able to switch them to the correct one's. Otherwise, you may get to pay shipping costs to send them back and a restocking fee.

Too late, I've had the upper for a cpl weeks.... I guess I can put it back on ebay and hopefully make my money back.

You have a carbine upper. The rails are for a rifle upper. As others have stated, they won't fit.

As to Knight's stuff going for $90, I'm sure it happens. True, there's lots of airsoft out there, but many vendors sell new, authentic KAC RAS sets with extra rib panels and the vertical grip for $150 buy-it-now. This particular example is duracoated and is missing a screw, which may be why it is priced lower.

Go buy factory seconds or overpriced sets from Bravo Company if you like, but eBay is the best place to get them if you're savvy and actually read the seller's description...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links