CHOICES..CHOICES..CHOICES....Help me out guys! - Page 2

CHOICES..CHOICES..CHOICES....Help me out guys!

This is a discussion on CHOICES..CHOICES..CHOICES....Help me out guys! within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remington 700 or Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa I think) I think. I like 30-06 because it does a good job, is versitle and ammo ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: CHOICES..CHOICES..CHOICES....Help me out guys!

Remington 700 or Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa I think) I think. I like 30-06 because it does a good job, is versitle and ammo is easy to find.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Gbboykin View Post
    Bull moose, carribou, rain deer at about 1000yds or more
    One thousand yards or more? Seriously? That's a "fur piece."

There are bolt-action rifles around here ranging from .220 Swift to .375 H&H Magnum but my favorite go-to rifle is chambered for .30-06. If I were to win an all-expense paid trip to Alaska to take all big game animals of the region it would be the .30-06 that would go along. atctimmy's rifle list looks really good and any mentioned in his post would serve for a lifetime of game-filled years. I like controlled feed bolt-action rifles but that's only a personal quirk. Ghost Tracker and Old Vet have chimed in with some good advice too.

A number of years ago I averaged the distance on all the whitetail deer I'd taken down here in Texas, 51 at the time, to find that distances ranged from 10 feet to just under 290 yards with an average distance of 31 yards which was surprising to me. The tally has more than doubled since and only on a couple of occasions did the yardage exceed 300. The 31-yard average has probably held steady and this despite mostly hunting in wide open places here in Texas. I've also shot high-power rifle competition most of my adult life to 600 yards but have always held that any shots taken over 300 yards at big game are mostly a stunt, some western elk/mule deer/antelope hunting notwithstanding.

A thousand yards is just not realistic and, for the great majority of us, crosses the line into a disrespectful irresponsibility towards the game animal. A thousand yards is a long way off!
    atctimmy likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Thank you for your service!

E4? Nice...I thought they were mainly out of Wright-Patt and Andrews though?
    It's an E6. IIRC the run out of Tinker.

1k yards... AI .338 Lapua, $3500 optic, and plenty of training both with the rifle, and hiking with an 80# pack at 8k' in elevation to get used to the weight.

Why don't you tell us the real reason you want an effective 1k yard rifle.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Thank you for your service!

E4? Nice...I thought they were mainly out of Wright-Patt and Andrews though?
    E6-B mercury, sorry navy doomsday plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    1k yards... AI .338 Lapua, $3500 optic, and plenty of training both with the rifle, and hiking with an 80# pack at 8k' in elevation to get used to the weight.

Why don't you tell us the real reason you want an effective 1k yard rifle.
    To hunt....big game

+1 on the Rem 700 in 30-06. If moose, maybe the 300.
    If determined to go for a 1,000 yard hit, I'd go with a 155 towed howitzer. Little more than flaming hooves left, but good bragging rights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links