Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine - Page 2

Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine

This is a discussion on Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have the Hi-Point (9mm). Last week I ordered and additional 4 10-rd magazines. I bought mine about two years back for $189. (Confession: I ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine

I have the Hi-Point (9mm). Last week I ordered and additional 4 10-rd magazines. I bought mine about two years back for $189. (Confession: I have yet to shoot it.) The 10rd mags don't bother me since I did get this primarily for home defense.

I got the Rossi Model 92 lever action carbine, 16-inch barrel, big loop in 357/38 spl. I find this to be much more comfortable, for me, for home defense, and it does use a common pistol round.
    Buckj likes this.
    USN Retired

Ex Member
    This past summer I called High Point to ask why they don't make them to accept Glock mags. Lady said she gets at LEAST 3 calls like that every day. Right now they sell every one that they can make and she said they don't want to loose production, small company, while they retool. If sales ever slow down look for them to do the change. Till then they don't have to, to sell all they make.
    Rogerburchett likes this.

Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine

I have heard good things about the hi-point. Also have a lifetime warranty I believe.
    Last edited by 757GRAFIX; January 1st, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

I only have the HP 9 Carbine...i can shoot at 50 or so yards and hit water filled 2 liter coke bottles all day long....EXCELLENT !!

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I have the Sub2000 and it's a fun gun. If I was standing in front of both and had to pick I would choose the Sub2k. Similar price point, takes Glock mags, folds, reliable [enough], and from my experience fairly durable. Accuracy is fine, I can hit the small cheap paper plates all day at 100 yards. So all in all I would choose the Sub2k.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Sponsor
    I have the KT Sub2000, I really like how compact it is and that it takes Glock mags. Mine has seen a few hundred rounds without issue. I do wish they had a sturdier front sight and that the sights were slightly higher in relation to the stock.

The biggest draw back to the high point for me is the single stack magazine.

Thanks,
    Clay

Get down on Hi point all they want The Hi point 9mm carbine works very well and the price is not out of reach. If you want a 9mm rifle .
    If you want a fancy name and have some cash the CX4 storm. I don't see how it is all that much better.

I have a Sub 2K and it is one of my favorites. It is reliable and cheap to practice with. Put in one of those Glock 33 rd magazines and rock and roll. I did upgrade the front sight and add a quadrail for use with a red dot. FYI: The factory installed sight is a POS. I also have a Glock 17 so that I can interchange magazines and work it as a system.

The Hi-Point is cool too. Wouldn't mind one in 45.

Out of the two you mentioned Id opt for the kel-tec. If not the berretta would be my choice.

I love my little S2k it uses 92 mags and I've modified my p89 mags to work with it. For 300 bucks plus another 100 for the quad rail it's a great little unit. The downfall is the plastic receiver and sights make it seem cheap. The promag 20's work fine and it's been solid since I've had it would I buy another? Probably not I just don't have a use for it now that I have AR's.

I would go with the Sub 2000 with the Glock mags since you already have a Glock. With the 33 rd mags, you can get about 150 rds and the gun into a very small package.
    Attached Images
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I own 2 of the Hi-Point 9mm carbines. One old style (think Planet of the Apes) and one of the newer ones. They have both been 100% reliable and are fun to shoot. Having said that if I already had Glock magazines I would have went with the Sub2000.

They both look a bit futuristic for me personally. Although my pops bought the Hi-Point at a gunshow a few months ago and just LOVES it! He always says he doesn't need more than 10 if he shoots straight and accurate. It also helps his neighbor he's friends with was a SF Sniper in Vietnam. Price was the main choice for my dad as he doesn't like spending alot of money on firearms.

Hi-Point warranty

Quote Originally Posted by 757GRAFIX View Post
    I have heard good things about the hi-point. Also have a lifetime warranty I believe.
    I just bought a 9mm Hi-Point (995TS), shot it for the first time today. I shot 200 rounds without a hitch, rotating through three 10-round mags. The peep-sights were dead-on out of the box. Very smooth action, feels good to shoot - I'm very pleased.

Like a lot of folks, I wish the mags were bigger. A note was included in the box, specifically warning that the Pro-Mag 15 round magazines would damage the loading ramp. Such damage is not covered in the warranty. They also mentioned that older Hi-Point magazines (from previous model carbines) could also cause similar damage, so don't use them. They showed a comparison photo detailing the upper portion of the two types of magazines. Indeed, the profiles are slightly different - probably nothing that couldn't be fixed with a Dremel Tool and pliers (if you're inclined to take such chances).

If enough people press Hi-Point to make bigger magazines, they eventually will - assuming the scary-gun hysteria dies down. Write or give them a call:

Beemiller, Inc.
    1015 Springmill Rd.
    Mansfield, OH 44906
    419-747-6095

Distinguished Member Array 5lima30ret's Avatar
    I've got the Sub-2000 Glock configuration in .40 and love it! It is a FUN gun to shoot and uses the same magazines as my Glock 35. I've got at least 500 rds through it and it has been 100% reliable! The only downside is that you can through a LOT of ammo very quickly

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links