Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine

This is a discussion on Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi all, I was hoping to get some insight on which of the above two carbines you would consider better for home defense/plinking. I'm sticking ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Keltec vs. Hi-Point 9mm carbine

Hi all,
    I was hoping to get some insight on which of the above two carbines you would consider better
    for home defense/plinking. I'm sticking with the 9mm round due to the fact that I have a few 9mm pistols ( glock, beretta) and I think it would be easier just to have one round to deal with instead of one caliber for the carbine then a different one for the pistol, I realize it is NO big deal to have weapons chambered in different calibers, I'm just trying to keep it simple for me.
    Has anyone had any expierence with the above carbines, was it good or bad, I'd also like to know your thoughts on quality (I know these are NOT top dollar weapons). do either of the above two carbine accept either Glock or Beretta magazines? I'm sorry I haven't really done my homework on them plus I like to hear from "real world" users of the weapon to see how they like them
    Thanks
    G

2. Remove Ads

Keltec runs GLOCK mags (if you buy the GLOCK compatible model) . So G18 mags make for HIGH capacity.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have the Hipoint 9mm carbine.. its nice for the price.. although i bought mine a few years back when they were under $200. The only complaint, ONLY complaint is that the mag capacity is stuck at 10 rounds... yes pro-mag makes a huge 30 rounder but its like a 35% chance that it works..

the Kel-tec SUB-2000 is a nice carbine, it can be configured to accept Glock, Beretta, S&W, or SiG magazines.. which is an awesome feature..

I actually prefer the looks of the Hi-Point appearance wise.. at least with their new Tactical stock.. the kel-tec has a foldable stock, which is nice however.. and you're looking at MSRP prices of about $285 for the HiPoint, $400 for the Kel-tec. Hi-point has teh same carbine available in 40s&w and 45acp which can be a super affordable way to have a high powered pistol caliber carbine without spending $700.

Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm Carbines
    Kel Tec CNC

If it were me and price didnt matter.. i think i might lean towards the Kel-tec because it can use Glock mags... that really is a big deal for me. i hate that i am limited to 10rnd mags in the HiPoint. But my 995 carbine is tough as nails and ugly as sin.. it has proven reliable as I have over 5000 rounds through it in the last 6 years, and quite accurate too.

I kinda wish I also had the SUB-2000.. the foldable stock and flexibility of mags is super sweet.
    Kilowatt3 and Buckj like this.

I have the 9mm carbine. My avatar war shot with it at the end on an indoor range (75 ft.). It does only have 10 shots but I bought the extra mount with two mags from them. So at any time I have 30 rds waiting to shoot. Plus it looks cool on the butt of the gun! LOL

Friend had the Hi-Pt. and it was pretty cool. Functioned flaweless, easy to handle, fun to shoot, but looks like the Planet of The Apes gun (it's nicknamed until he sold it was the Ape Rifle). Says he wished he had not sold it and misses the thing. I shot it several times. Only complaint was accurace. Could have been ammo as we shot the cheap white box Winchester or whatever available at Wally World. 25yrd was about 2" or so. 75yrd was staying on a paper pie plate off-hand standing upright plinking, so probably about 4" sandbagged. Point being that around 100yd, torso shots were still capable. Point being, not something you would want to take deer hunting unless dense underbrush and close conditions, but it was really fun to shoot and durable as a Sherman Tank.

Spend the money and get a Beretta Storm carbine. I have the 40 and actually took it to tactical assault rifle instructor school. It held up great against the M-4, except for magazine reloads.

+1 on the berretta storm! They are built well and look and feel better than either of the others. Of the 2 i would pick the keltec.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Lots of options out there now for the KelTec S2K. Rails, Stocks....problem being that most of them eliminate the ability for it to fold in half properly.

Just sold mine (.40). Had not shot it in 3+ years. My needs and plans changed.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

CJM
    Keltec S2K that takes Glock mags. Much lighter, better mags by a long shot, and the ability to be folded and fit into a backpack if needed.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    +1 on the berretta storm! They are built well and look and feel better than either of the others. Of the 2 i would pick the keltec.
    Problem is, you can build a quality AR for what the Beretta costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    I've been doing some research on these as well, and I have to disagree with the looks comment. I think the Storm is the ugliest of the bunch by far. IMO the HI-Point is the best looking, followed by the Keltec. And the selling point of being able to use Glock mags in the Keltec doesn't interest me becasue I don't own a Glock.

So if I get one, which unfortunately is unlikely, it'll be the Hi-Point unless I find something else. I like that you can buy the Hi-Point with the scope already installed. It may not be the best one, but it's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    I have the Hipoint 9mm carbine.. its nice for the price.. although i bought mine a few years back when they were under $200. The only complaint, ONLY complaint is that the mag capacity is stuck at 10 rounds... yes pro-mag makes a huge 30 rounder but its like a 35% chance that it works..

the Kel-tec SUB-2000 is a nice carbine, it can be configured to accept Glock, Beretta, S&W, or SiG magazines.. which is an awesome feature..

I actually prefer the looks of the Hi-Point appearance wise.. at least with their new Tactical stock.. the kel-tec has a foldable stock, which is nice however.. and you're looking at MSRP prices of about $285 for the HiPoint, $400 for the Kel-tec. Hi-point has teh same carbine available in 40s&w and 45acp which can be a super affordable way to have a high powered pistol caliber carbine without spending $700.

Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm Carbines
    Kel Tec CNC

If it were me and price didnt matter.. i think i might lean towards the Kel-tec because it can use Glock mags... that really is a big deal for me. i hate that i am limited to 10rnd mags in the HiPoint. But my 995 carbine is tough as nails and ugly as sin.. it has proven reliable as I have over 5000 rounds through it in the last 6 years, and quite accurate too.

I kinda wish I also had the SUB-2000.. the foldable stock and flexibility of mags is super sweet.
    ^^^ What he said, particularly since you already have a Glock.

I have the HP in .40 and it's a great little gun. I couldn't pass it up for $180 (4 or 5 years ago), but I'd sure like to be able to interchange hi-cap mags with one of my pistols.

Regards,
    Jim

[B][/B]
    I have four(4) of the new(er) promag HIP-A3 15 round mags for HP-995 9mm. Forty five(45) rounds through each mag with NO problems. The A3 must be improved design by Promag?

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    The Beretta is a much better weapon but costs about 500 dollars more.. My Hi Point works just fine and I don't think it is a ugly as some say.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I have the 9mm Hi Point carbine and love it. It's accurate, sturdy, reliable, inexpensve to shoot and great for training new shooters on (don't have to care much if they drop it). I have no personal experience with the Kel Tec carbines but did have a PF9. It was the biggest POS I have ever owned and has soured me forever on trusting a Kel Tec. The price on Hi Points is raising even before the current panic.

I also have two of the 15 round mags from ProMag and they have worked perfectly for me.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links