Stupid caliber question

This is a discussion on Stupid caliber question within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the difference between a .223 round and the 5.56 NATO rounds? If a gun is chambered in one can you use the other? ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Crowman
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 3 Post By aus71383

Thread: Stupid caliber question

Stupid caliber question

What is the difference between a .223 round and the 5.56 NATO rounds? If a gun is chambered in one can you use the other? And what is the difference in ballistics?

2. Remove Ads

Not stupid at all. The cartridges ARE different, and the differences are small but potentially "meaningful" - enough so to encourage one to know the differences.

Here's the best writeup I've found which explains the differences: 5.56 vs .223 – What You Know May Be Wrong - LuckyGunner.com Labs
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks I'll read that in a little while.

For the most part if you purchase an AR15 rated 5.56 you can not go wrong.
    atctimmy, blitzburgh and WHEC724 like this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Administrator
    I agree with Crowman and you should just shop for a firearm chambered in 5.56. Problem solved.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The simplest explanation (my understanding) is that the cartridges are the same dimensions - but the chambers are cut differently, and pressures/standards are different.

The .223 has less freebore, a sharper leade, etc... and is inherently more accurate because of it.
    The 5.56 has more freebore, a more gradual leade, and is more forgiving (less accurate).

The link posted by gasmitty goes into much further detail, and is a good read if you like these sorts of things.

5.56 = shoot everything
    .223 = don't shoot 5.56
    gasmitty, blitzburgh and oneshot like this.

Alright thanks. I'm really looking into getting either an AR or Mini after I get my gun safe and was just wondering if there was a major difference in the two calibers. I think I've decieded to go with the .223 when the time comes because I would also like to get a good .223 bolt action to target shoot with. Now another thing is what are your feelings on the AR vs Mini? I know it has probly been asked before but since I'm already typing I will ask it again.

Also, be careful of cheaper brands a la DPMS, Bushmaster, etc who will state 5.56 mm on the barrel, when in fact are chambered in 223. Run a 5.56 round through there without reaming a chamber, and you will have problems.

Distinguished Member
    On the AR vs Mini topic:

Mini - Cool gun, but historically less accurate, fewer affordable aftermarket accessories...

AR - Can be extremely accurate, tons of inexpensive bolt-on toys as well as some very expensive ones, plentiful inexpensive magazines, easy to customize.

If you do decide to buy an AR, I would suggest shopping for one properly chambered in 5.56mm so you have the option of .223 ammo as well as often less expensive NATO ammo which is available in bulk.

best of luck and safe shooting!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    The simplest explanation (my understanding) is that the cartridges are the same dimensions - but the chambers are cut differently, and pressures/standards are different.

The .223 has less freebore, a sharper leade, etc... and is inherently more accurate because of it.
    The 5.56 has more freebore, a more gradual leade, and is more forgiving (less accurate).

The link posted by gasmitty goes into much further detail, and is a good read if you like these sorts of things.

5.56 = shoot everything
    .223 = don't shoot 5.56
    There it is simple and correct. Go with the 5.56 you have more options on rounds

Links