Zeroing an Aimpoint Pro

Zeroing an Aimpoint Pro

This is a discussion on Zeroing an Aimpoint Pro within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got an Aimpoint Pro for my Spikes AR. My irons are pretty spot on at 25 with a center hold. I can't seem to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jonconsiglio

Thread: Zeroing an Aimpoint Pro

Question Zeroing an Aimpoint Pro

Just got an Aimpoint Pro for my Spikes AR.

My irons are pretty spot on at 25 with a center hold.

I can't seem to get the optics on though. I'm low at 25 & 50 yards with the elevation adjustment maxed out.

If I understand terminology correctly it seems to be a 1/3 co-witness. But I can't get the dot lined with the irons sight picture.

Is it as simple as removing the spacer in the mount which they say is to be removed for shotguns & sub-guns?

Any suggestions on what I need to do?

Just realized I had the Aimpoint mounted at the rear of the rail. Too far back to allow use of the irons. Would mounting it at the front of the rail make a diff?
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Congrats on the Spikes & Aim Point set up that you have there.

If I'm not mistaken you don't have to line the dot up with the irons if I read your post correctly. With the PRO, if I understand correctly, when sighted in the bullet lands where the dot is in the scope. This is a sorry explanation if I have to say so myself.

There is a sticky on the defensive rifle shotgun thread. HTH
    SCGunLover1

To zero the optic, the easiest way is to line the dot with the irons. If you can't do that, something is wrong with the optic or the mount. Removing the spacer will make no difference other than where all three line up.

To be clear, there's no need to shoot this way, it's just to confirm zero.

Edit - what do you mean by too far back? Can you post a pic? I recommend mounting them as far forward on the upper receiver as possible. I'll post some pics in a minute...

T1

Comp M2

Comp M4s

atctimmy likes this.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

What irons did you have on it in the first place? Carrying handle?

Where it is mounted on the receiver shouldn't matter much - except you want it far enough forward to allow for BUIS if you're going to use them.

From your post I'm a little confused on what you are trying to line up.

If you have a lower 1/3 cowitness mount, and you're trying to line the dot up with the FSP - you're going to fail on getting the sight zeroed.

The optic should be zeroed separately from the irons. Using the pre-existing zero of the irons as a starting point for zeroing the optic can be a reasonable thing - as long as you're doing it properly.

Hope this helps...

Austin

Zeroing separately or bringing the dot to the zeroed irons will result in the same thing. Bringing the dot to the front sight post without using the rear aperture will throw it way off though. His problem seems to be that he's maxed out on elevation but still not zeroed.

I'd recommend a 100 or 50/200 (225) before the 25/350.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Are you sure you are turning the adjustment the right way? Try turning it the other way and see if the dot comes up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Are you sure you are turning the adjustment the right way? Try turning it the other way and see if the dot comes up
    I did this exact thing when I first put mine on, I kept turning the screw and it kept not lining up then I reversed what I was doing and got it to line right up.

RKM
    I agree with making sure you're turning it the correct way. When I first bough my Eotech, I was trying to co-witness it with my irons right here in the seat I'm sitting in. I couldn't figure out why when I was adjusting the sight "up", the dot was going down The "UP" means up on the target.... not your sight picture. Now I use an Aimpoint C3, very similar to the PRO.

I always keep my RDS's zeroed at 50. In my opinion, it's a great compromise. Other people have their own preferences. My magnified optics I zero at 100 yards. Unfortunately, at this point I can't zero any further than that, or I would.

VIP Member
    If you are trying to move the dot to match your irons by using your eyeball then you need to turn the adjustments the opposite way. If you are zeroing on paper (seeing where your bullet hits and adjusting the groups ) then you go the same way that the dial says.

Just realized I had the Aimpoint mounted at the rear of the rail. Too far back to allow use of the irons. Would mounting it at the front of the rail make a diff?

Yes, you should move the sight to the front of the rail on your receiver. Look at Jon's photos to see how it should look.

Got mine zeroed today starting at 50 yds and then moved out to 200. We were hitting a 12x16 target and keeping a decent group. The red dot really helps my old man eyes.

You want to mount the PRO as far forward as you can, even if you don't have back-up irons. Mounting forward allows for less loss of peripheral vision due to looking through the tube and doesn't affect the function of the sight at all.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to explain this better...

With the irons zeroed, when I look at my irons sight picture, through the Aimpoint, the red dot is above the irons sight picture. Telling me that the Aimpoint will not be zeroed.

Sure enough, when shooting with the Aimpoint the group is low. I turn the Aimpoint "Up" (which I believe is to move the group up, not the dot). But, I cannot bring the group up on paper before maxing out the elevation adjustment.

Regarding the mounting of the optic on the rail. I have a Magpul flip up rear sight. I had the sight down and mounted the optic (close the sight). So close it made using the sight, looking through the optic difficult.

2012-11-04_08-38-37_47.jpg

I moved the opitc to the front of the rail. But, this made no difference in getting it sighted in.

2012-11-04_08-39-40_375.jpg

Unless I'm missing something obvious I'm thinking there is an issue w/the Aimpoint.

NRA Lifer

PM me your phone number and I'll call you this afternoon if you'd like.

Well, so far I'm pretty disappointed with my Aimpoint.

Bought the Aimpoint Pro on Oct. 23rd. As stated previously in this post I couldn't get to zero. I contacted Aimpoint back on Nov. 2nd regarding the issues. They walked me through several things to check and confirmed that it seems to be an issue with the optic and requested I ship it back to them.

Packed it up and paid to have it shipped to their US headquarters in VA. Never heard back after the confirmation. So, I contacted them and was told they had sent it on to Sweden for repair. They will not replace a defective unit, only repair it. Few weeks later still not optic & still not status. Contacted Aimpoint again and was told Sweden has replaced the adjustment screw, rear tube, and installed a new lens. Should have it in a week. That was Dec. 10...Still no optic.

I can't believe I shelled out 400 bones 2 months ago for an optic I haven't even been able to use. I think my disappoint with Aimpoint is their policy of not replacing. I could understand if it was not brand new.

NRA Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    Well, so far I'm pretty disappointed with my Aimpoint.

Bought the Aimpoint Pro on Oct. 23rd. As stated previously in this post I couldn't get to zero. I contacted Aimpoint back on Nov. 2nd regarding the issues. They walked me through several things to check and confirmed that it seems to be an issue with the optic and requested I ship it back to them.

Packed it up and paid to have it shipped to their US headquarters in VA. Never heard back after the confirmation. So, I contacted them and was told they had sent it on to Sweden for repair. They will not replace a defective unit, only repair it. Few weeks later still not optic & still not status. Contacted Aimpoint again and was told Sweden has replaced the adjustment screw, rear tube, and installed a new lens. Should have it in a week. That was Dec. 10...Still no optic.

I can't believe I shelled out 400 bones 2 months ago for an optic I haven't even been able to use. I think my disappoint with Aimpoint is their policy of not replacing. I could understand if it was not brand new.
    I would say that you have every reason to be upset. My theory is that if I buy something and it's bad out of the box the manufacturer needs to REPLACE it, not repair it. I could understand if I had it for a month or to but sounds like you contacted them within a week. I would be on the phone and (politely) demanding to speak to a supervisor.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Links