HD Shotgun Sight Options

HD Shotgun Sight Options

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun Sight Options within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been lingering here for a while and thought I would create an account and post up a question for everyone. I've decided to turn ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD Shotgun Sight Options

HD Shotgun Sight Options

I've been lingering here for a while and thought I would create an account and post up a question for everyone. I've decided to turn my Remington 870 Marine Magnum in to my HD weapon of choice. I've already made a few upgrades including the Knoxx collapsible stock, side saddle, and Houge rubber forend. The shotgun only comes with a front bead for a sight and neither the barrel or receiver are tapped for iron sights. I don't have anyone locally who I would trust to work on any firearm I own so I thought I would take a different route. I bought a Black Aces Picatinny Rail for it and I'm currently waiting for it to be delivered. I thought about using rail mounted BUIS as the primary weapon sights, but by the time I buy decent sights I'm looking at $250 and thought maybe I should just go with a reflex sight. Ideally I would like an Eotech, but if the wife finds out I spent $500 on a sight that I hopefully never need to use, she would feel like she has to drop $500 on new clothes.

I guess what I'm asking is...... are BUIS worth considering on an HD shotgun? If so what would you recommend? Should I go with a red dot/reflex type of sight and should I invest in an Eotech (or something of similar quality) or can I find something quality for under $200?

VIP Member
    I think a front bead sight is just fine for HD. It's a fast and efficient system that has been proven for about 100 years. Iron sights would be a very bad idea unless you mean some type of ghost ring system. Even then, a ghost ring system isn't really faster. They are just better for longer ranges over a bead.

If you want a red dot or reflex sight and you don't want to break the bank. Take a look at the Burris fast fire sights. I have had one for about 4 years now and it would work well on a HD shot gun. Battery life is about 2.5 years if you leave it on constantly and it hold zero quite well.

The iron sights would be a ghost ring type of system, but I'm definitly leaning toward a red dot type of sight. I know some people like a front bead sight, but I personally hate them. I've never liked it, but I've never used the gun for anything but close up bear protection in the woods so I've never bothered to change it until now.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjensen View Post
    The iron sights would be a ghost ring type of system, but I'm definitly leaning toward a red dot type of sight. I know some people like a front bead sight, but I personally hate them. I've never liked it, but I've never used the gun for anything but close up bear protection in the woods so I've never bothered to change it until now.
    With a ghost ring system you're not really gaining too much for HD. If you want a red dot then look at the Burris I mentioned. If not, start saving for Aim Point or Eotech.
    Last edited by atctimmy; November 5th, 2012 at 10:35 AM.

For a straight-up, "repel boarders", HD shotgun...a front bead is just fine.

I'd look at something like an XS 24/7 Big Dot--it just attaches over your existing front sight, and you're good to go.

If you are looking at a red dot...especially for a HD gun, you might want something you don't have to remember to switch on in the heat of the moment; I ran a buddy's Benelli M4 w/Trijicon Reflex...very slick.

And...besides having a bead...I don't know if I'd run BUIS on a HD shotgun with a red dot.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I ran a compact dot sight on my HD shotgun for a while. Finally came to my senses & decided it was a techno waste of effort. If I can track & hit a little bitty quail 75 feet away darting & whizzing past at 40 mph with a front bead, then I "should" be able to hit a bad guy in my hallway. There are a lot of well-respected SG instructors who effectively shoot remarkably simple shotguns. I was surprised how few aftermarket doo-dads they attach. IMHO, a Big Dot front bead w/ghost ring rear is plenty.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

HD Shotgun Sight Options

Swap out the bead for a Tru-Glo fiber optic bead. I chose green and it works well.

I use an el cheapo Sight Mark reflex sight on mine. It works well. Locks up tight and hasn't lost zero.

Senior Moderator
    I have bead and ghost ring sights on mine, don't really see a need for much more on a HD shotgun
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I use a Mossberg 500 with a light. The light has a pretty tightly focused beam, especially at close ranges, and the beam is lined up directly with the barrel. Thus the light acts as an aiming device. Plus, a full-on bright weapon light means that you will be better able to properly identify the target, so that you don't accidentally shoot a friendly or family member in a darkened room.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I never liked beads so I swapped mine out for a Hi-VIZ tritium replacement for the bead. I've been very happy with it an find it accurate even in low light conditions

I've tried the tru-glo fiber optic front bead and I really don't like it. Call me crazy I guess. I agree on the flashlight being a necessity. Target ID is arguably the most important aspect of any possible home invasion scenario and a good light makes that possible. I also agree it would be nice to not have to worry about turning a sight on in the middle of the night. I guess I just need to save for a few months and get what I want. I may find a good deal locally on Black Friday too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrjensen View Post
    I've tried the tru-glo fiber optic front bead and I really don't like it. Call me crazy I guess. I agree on the flashlight being a necessity. Target ID is arguably the most important aspect of any possible home invasion scenario and a good light makes that possible. I also agree it would be nice to not have to worry about turning a sight on in the middle of the night. I guess I just need to save for a few months and get what I want. I may find a good deal locally on Black Friday too.
    The Burris will run for about 2.5 years if left in the on position. Some Aimpoints will run for close to five years. The Aimpoints cost twice as much and then some.

Re: HD Shotgun Sight Options

I'm in the stick with a bead crowd. They're simple, accurate and are fast to acquire targets. XS also has tritium big dots for shotguns.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

burris speed bead remington 870 - Google Search

I've thought about putting something like this on my Benelli M1 Super 90. Ghost rings are good, beads are fine.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links