Shotgun Newbie with questions...

This is a discussion on Shotgun Newbie with questions... within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone! Just activated my account! Anyways, just quick background: I'm pretty much a novice with firearms. My ex girlfriend was big into guns, and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Shotgun Newbie with questions...

Shotgun Newbie with questions...

Hey everyone! Just activated my account!

Anyways, just quick background:

I'm pretty much a novice with firearms. My ex girlfriend was big into guns, and brought her collection when she moved in with me. She had a bunch of antique stuff, but with the guns that
    were ready for service, she had:

A ladysmith .357 magnum
    Some kind of expensive Browning shotgun
    Another expensive "over under" shotgun
    A 30 .06 rifle

Of those I shot at a shooting range the .357. Did good. Good grouping.
    Both shotguns when we went trap shooting, did good.

Anyways, we broke up and she brought all her guns with her. And I felt naked, without that .357 in the bedroom. So I bought at a pawnshop, a Mossberg Mavrick Model 88 12 gauge.
    My question is, are there any quirks about this shotgun I need to know about? By the way, I met a guy in the pawn shop, and he told me, for home defense, buy "Double up buckshot", and for messing around in my backyard and practicing, buy some birdshot. I loaded the shotgun with only 3 shells of the birdshot, and I remember what he said about "racking it" with that little
    lever next to the trigger. But somehow I managed to eject an unfired round out of the side of the shotgun.

Please excuse my nooby language, but can any of you explain exactly how this shotgun works, and the ins and outs of all the functions. And I believe it holds "5+1". Sorry to bug you guys with this noob stuff, but I gotta start somewhere. Thanks for reading!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Okay unload the gun and don't load it until you can handle it until you become more knowledgeable.

1 its "Double aught" or 00 which refers to the shot size not "double up" that the gun shop referenced.

2 If it came with a owners manual read it, learn where the safety is and how to use it.

3 Go find a range where someone can help you, and take a course on firearm safety
    mprp and Brad426 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I appreciate the reply and your concern. I know the basics of firearm safety, I took a State Mandated Course but it focused on handguns, as handguns in this state are regulated. Shotguns and Rifles aren't.
    I know where the safety is too. I'll probably pony up the cash and take a firearm safety course on shotguns, but just wanted your guy's technical expertise on this particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Okay unload the gun and don't load it until you can handle it until you become more knowledgeable.

1 its "Double aught" or 00 which refers to the shot size not "double up" that the gun shop referenced.

2 If it came with a owners manual read it, learn where the safety is and how to use it.

3 Go find a range where someone can help you, and take a course on firearm safety
    +1

First off, I'm happy for you that you decided to start somewhere and don't worry about the "noob stuff" as you've called it. There are a lot of great folks that are more than willing to help out and you've come to a good place to ask questions. However, I couldn't agree with pgrass101 more with #3, good practice and instruction from someone who really knows what they're doing. Nothing beats knowing your weapon through its manual along with good instruction and hands-on. Be Safe! And welcome to the forum from California.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    +1

First off, I'm happy for you that you decided to start somewhere and don't worry about the "noob stuff" as you've called it. There are a lot of great folks that are more than willing to help out and you've come to a good place to ask questions. However, I couldn't agree with pgrass101 more with #3, good practice and instruction from someone who really knows what they're doing. Nothing beats knowing your weapon through its manual along with good instruction and hands-on. Be Safe! And welcome to the forum from California.
    Thanks! I guess I'll just pay for a course. I knew the .357 like the back of my hand, but this shotgun doesn't make me feel at home like the .357 did. I don't wanna take any shortcuts when it comes to
    knowledge of something like this. Just like I would have to pay a lawyer for something legal. So okay, I'll do it. Thanks for the welcome to this community!

Not saying you should get all your info from YouTube, but it's free, and I'm a visual learner.

Shotgun Basics for Newbies - YouTube

Shows you the operation of the mystery button:

How to Unload a Pump Action Shotgun - YouTube

Lot of good info, just have to sit through the gab:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_1-E6qFuXk
    Brad426 and pgrass101 like this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ballakc View Post
    I appreciate the reply and your concern. I know the basics of firearm safety, I took a State Mandated Course but it focused on handguns, as handguns in this state are regulated. Shotguns and Rifles aren't.
    I know where the safety is too. I'll probably pony up the cash and take a firearm safety course on shotguns, but just wanted your guy's technical expertise on this particular model.
    Here is a LINK to the MANUAL......

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...g_maverick.pdf

Save to your PC and print it out if you can
    pgrass101 likes this.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

To the 2 above ^, THANKS!!! I'll check all those links! I really, really appreciate this! I'll still go through the motions of a safety course on shotguns, if I can find one. Called most of the gun ranges in my area in response to the first reply on this thread, but they focus on handguns, because handguns in Maryland are regulated. Shotguns I guess are self taught, or taught by threads like this lol

VIP Member
    If you call Mossberg they will send you a manual for free. Call them, tell them what you have and they will send you a manual.

(203) 230-5300

800-363-3555

Distinguished Member
    Welcome to the group ballakc!
    As others have said, do some homework BEFORE you load your new gun with live ammunition.
    Plenty of good info online (here, youtube, etc.)
    If you've got a local shooting range you may want to talk with them to see if they have someone who can help you get acquainted with your shotgun.
    Best of luck and stay safe
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Here is a LINK to the MANUAL......

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIR...g_maverick.pdf

Save to your PC and print it out if you can
    Downloaded and printed it out! Thanks a lot!

And FLArmadillo, I've watched them all. That one with the comparison between semi auto and pump action was good information. Just seeing the way the guy said "safety on" out loud every time, and the way he loaded the shells, and basically handled himself and the guns, good stuff! Thank you very much!

Aksrule I downloaded it and printed it out, I'll read it tonight. FLArmadillo, thanks for those vids, I like the pump action vs semi auto vid, just the way the guy said "safety on" out loud every time, and the way he carried himself and handled the shotguns, kinda wanna model myself after him when it comes to safety. Thank you guys! And btw Atctimmy, do you control?

[QUOTE=ballakc;2446321]
    Quote Originally Posted by ballakc View Post
    I loaded the shotgun with only 3 shells of the birdshot, and I remember what he said about "racking it" with that little lever next to the trigger. But somehow I managed to eject an unfired round out of the side of the shotgun.

... I know the basics of firearm safety ...
    Not to be contrary, but if you're ejecting rounds and getting surprised by that, I'd suggest that the basics of safe handling with this gun currently eludes you. BAD JUJU, with live rounds.

At any gun range, anyone familiar with shotguns ought to be able to take you through the paces. The owner's manual should have all the basics, there. And the online/Youtube type videos should cover basic handling and usage.

Before inserting live rounds, know all the basic parts, functions and procedures that are described in the manual. IMO, it's worth taking down the gun and doing a thorough cleaning/lube, if for no other reason than to get familiar with the parts and how they operate. Of course, you'll also be assuring the gun's prepared for operation, clear of any obstruction (crud, grease, whatever) that could impact effective cycling or firing. Run the gun through its paces as described in the manual, without any ammo. That'll take you through ensuring it's clear/empty, inserting ammo, ejecting ammo, cycling ammo from the magazine into the chamber (all done without live ammo, for test/trial). Once you're confident of the basic controls, then re-reading the manual should make a lot more sense, since you've seen it function.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Magpul has a really good shotgun training DVD set (SHOTGUN - Magpul Dynamics™ The Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, 3-Disc DVD Set). You can find it cheaper on eBay or Amazon. Regardless, it will show beginning to advanced shotgun handling techniques. It's a good investment in time and money.

OP, I respectfully encourage you to get some A-Zoom brand aluminum dummy (practice) rounds for your shotgun. Practice administrative techniques using dummy rounds, not live rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links