Does pistol grip stock reduce felt recoil at the shoulder on a 12GA Shotgun?

This is a discussion on Does pistol grip stock reduce felt recoil at the shoulder on a 12GA Shotgun? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thanks Eric...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Does pistol grip stock reduce felt recoil at the shoulder on a 12GA Shotgun?

Does pistol grip stock reduce felt recoil at the shoulder on a 12GA Shotgun?

Thanks

Eric

2. Remove Ads

It did for me when I added one to my Mossberg Pursuader. I can shoot 40-50 rounds at the range with no bruising or soreness. Let me add that I'm 6-2, 240 lbs.

Not by much IMO. Try a Knoxx Spec Ops reduced recoil stock with pistol grip. That will considerably reduce felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Not by much IMO. Try a Knoxx Spec Ops reduced recoil stock with pistol grip. That will considerably reduce felt recoil.
    I should've added that my pistol grip came with a new stock as well. Good point.

As mentioned, there's the set ups that allows the shotgun to move and absorb some recoil like the BlackHawk and Knoxx, but I can't see how adding a standard pistol grip/stock will change the felt recoil.It comes down to technique. Push forward with the firing hand and pull back with the support hand instead of pulling hard into the shoulder like a rifle. That's given the best results for me and I could shoot all day that way if I wanted.

Though I'm not a huge supporter of the way Magpul used to do things, their shotgun videos offered a lot of good advice. There's a few things about proper grip and recoil control on YouTube, you just have to search through Magpul Art of the Dynamic Shotgun clips until you find it.

I'd try that before I changed anything on the gun itself, unless a pistol grip was just more ergonomic.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Yes, very noticeably.

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    It comes down to technique. Push forward with the firing hand and pull back with the support hand instead of pulling hard into the shoulder like a rifle.
    Yes, and that's easier with a pistol grip vs. swinging a thumb over the top. The meat of your hand is there to resist the kick. It made a noticeable difference to me, along with a more shock-resistant buttstock.

I don't understand. How is it that a pistol grip reduces felt recoil? It's just a different angle for the hand/wrist. Technique is what should change the felt recoil.

I'm not saying it doesn't, I just can't see how it does and I've shot my old 870 with a standard stock next to my Benelli M4 with a pistol grip and didn't notice much difference other than what was due to the action.

My buddy's 870 has a pistol grip and it feels about the same as mine did.

Edit - ok, so it's pretty much the technique just being easier to use if I'm understanding dbglock correctly, right?
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Edit - ok, so it's pretty much the technique just being easier to use if I'm understanding dbglock correctly, right?
    I don't get how you don't get it. Look at yourself in your own avatar picture. Imagine that rifle receiver flying back at you .. your right hand is in a much better position to resist that backlash than it would be in a conventional thumb-over grip. That's all I got.

thanks for the info. I forgot how much 00 kicks!
    darbo likes this.

Maybe it has to do with the way you are flexing your pectoral muscle when you have your elbow down instead of out. I know we typically say that the stock of the shotgun is pressed into the shoulder, but it is actually touching the pectoral muscle.

Rob Haught teaches a pretty effective technique too: Rob Haught Shotgun Basics - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by steffen View Post
    Maybe it has to do with the way you are flexing your pectoral muscle when you have your elbow down instead of out. I know we typically say that the stock of the shotgun is pressed into the shoulder, but it is actually touching the pectoral muscle.
    Excellent point. When I thought about it, I determined that the reason I throw my elbow out when shooting a long gun is to brace the upper right portion of my body. You don't think about why you do these things, you just do what feels right and that feels right. It also, along with a pistol grip, helps absorb shock. At least those are my findings. I'm not trying to tell anybody how to shoot or what they should feel.

Tell you what ... the Mossie's my only shellgun, but my son just got a new Remington 870 and we're going to shoot some skeet this weekend. It's bone-stock right off the showroom floor so we'll be able to tell if there's a difference in perceived recoil between the two. I'll report my findings here Monday.

Distinguished Member
    I brought my old Savage 775A out to the range a few weeks ago... no matter how I shoot that thing it still kicks like a mule!
    I'll stick with my kinder, gentler AR :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammage View Post
    Rob Haught teaches a pretty effective technique too: Rob Haught Shotgun Basics - YouTube
    pretty good video with good advice, thanks for the link. I have to admit I've never really worked on technique shooting the shotgun, don't know why. Learn something new everyday.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links