20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

This is a discussion on 20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Mossberg 20 gauge Persuader (18 1/2"). Capacity goes up by 1 if I load 2 3/4". I bought this for "the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

I just bought a Mossberg 20 gauge Persuader (18 1/2"). Capacity goes up by 1 if I load 2 3/4". I bought this for "the other side of the bed" she's only 5' 4". Given the same load (say #2), is there a significant drop off in stopping power? They seem to have about the same velocity but I was hoping for less recoil.

You'll be fine with a normal 2 and 3/4" load, but try the 3" shells and see how she shoots them. The only time I use magnum loads in my 20 gauge is when I'm duck hunting because I don't own a 12 gauge so I want to get as much as I can out of the 20. The recoil is more, but not a lot more. That said I don't use the shotgun for home defense, but I would if I didn't have other options.

I'd get 1 buck, 0 buck, or 00 buck (in that order). If you can find them in 2.75", great. If not, then 3"....

Austin

If you bought a 20 gauge instead of 12 so your wife could handle it, why reverse direction by throwing a heavier-recoiling shell in there?

Stick with the 2-3/4 inch buckshot. You'll typically get about 20 pellets of #3 buck, which will be plenty effective in a home defense situation, assuming your home isn't the size of Windsor Castle.
    ctr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I'v killed a bunch of turkeys and deer with my old topper single shot 20 gauge full choke..never had a expensive shotgun. I think I gave 125 bucks for it.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

In a 20ga defensive shotgun, I'd suggest 2-3/4 in #1 Buck. Ought to be plenty, and IMO it'll be noticeably more-comfortable to deal with, recoil-wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you bought a 20 gauge instead of 12 so your wife could handle it, why reverse direction by throwing a heavier-recoiling shell in there?

Stick with the 2-3/4 inch buckshot. You'll typically get about 20 pellets of #3 buck, which will be plenty effective in a home defense situation, assuming your home isn't the size of Windsor Castle.
    Thanks - makes sense to me. Of course if we lived in Windsor Castle I couldn't own a gun but (like Bloomberg) would have plenty of folks to protect me.

BTW -- I didn't turn over all defense duties -- my XD 40 still sleeps on my side of the bed:-)

dup
    Last edited by StevePVB; November 15th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Links