20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

This is a discussion on 20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3" within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a Mossberg 20 gauge Persuader (18 1/2"). Capacity goes up by 1 if I load 2 3/4". I bought this for "the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: 20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

20 guage 2 3/4" vs 3"

I just bought a Mossberg 20 gauge Persuader (18 1/2"). Capacity goes up by 1 if I load 2 3/4". I bought this for "the other side of the bed" she's only 5' 4". Given the same load (say #2), is there a significant drop off in stopping power? They seem to have about the same velocity but I was hoping for less recoil.

2. Remove Ads

You'll be fine with a normal 2 and 3/4" load, but try the 3" shells and see how she shoots them. The only time I use magnum loads in my 20 gauge is when I'm duck hunting because I don't own a 12 gauge so I want to get as much as I can out of the 20. The recoil is more, but not a lot more. That said I don't use the shotgun for home defense, but I would if I didn't have other options.

I'd get 1 buck, 0 buck, or 00 buck (in that order). If you can find them in 2.75", great. If not, then 3"....

Austin

If you bought a 20 gauge instead of 12 so your wife could handle it, why reverse direction by throwing a heavier-recoiling shell in there?

Stick with the 2-3/4 inch buckshot. You'll typically get about 20 pellets of #3 buck, which will be plenty effective in a home defense situation, assuming your home isn't the size of Windsor Castle.
    ctr likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'v killed a bunch of turkeys and deer with my old topper single shot 20 gauge full choke..never had a expensive shotgun. I think I gave 125 bucks for it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

In a 20ga defensive shotgun, I'd suggest 2-3/4 in #1 Buck. Ought to be plenty, and IMO it'll be noticeably more-comfortable to deal with, recoil-wise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    If you bought a 20 gauge instead of 12 so your wife could handle it, why reverse direction by throwing a heavier-recoiling shell in there?

Stick with the 2-3/4 inch buckshot. You'll typically get about 20 pellets of #3 buck, which will be plenty effective in a home defense situation, assuming your home isn't the size of Windsor Castle.
    Thanks - makes sense to me. Of course if we lived in Windsor Castle I couldn't own a gun but (like Bloomberg) would have plenty of folks to protect me.

BTW -- I didn't turn over all defense duties -- my XD 40 still sleeps on my side of the bed:-)

dup
    Last edited by StevePVB; November 15th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Links