Marine Magnum?

Marine Magnum?

This is a discussion on Marine Magnum? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Randy's 870 Wingmaster thread got me to remember a question I've had about the Marine Magnum. I have been wondering what the Marine Magnum is ...

Thread: Marine Magnum?

Marine Magnum?

Randy's 870 Wingmaster thread got me to remember a question I've had about the Marine Magnum.

I have been wondering what the Marine Magnum is considered. Is it an Express or a Wingmaster or neither? Does this Shotgun fall some where in between them then? I am wanting a Tacticool model and I haven't bought a shotgun in, well never! I always had and was loaded up from my Grandfathers very large collection of them and I never had a need to buy anything ever in regards to a shotgun. We had them all it seemed. I Still don't "need" but it would be nice to have one for some shotgun training classes I am wanting to take.

I, like Randy, don't want the Express models, no need to go backwards. So it's either a Police model (Are these Wingmasters?) or the Marine Magnum. The 1100's and 11-87 models are nice but I'd rather have a pump.

What say you on this?

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    I actually held one in my hands about 15 minutes ago...Guess I shouldve looked closer and found out for ya. I had always thought that the 870 Marine Magnum was the corrosion resistant version of the police model. Im thinking about buying one myself, and found one used for a very good price at a local police store, I just need to get paid first.
    Fear No Evil.

I own one and it is just the police package with a special coating. they are very nice weapons.

That's good to confirm that the MM is not in the Express line up with a resistant coating on it. I thought they had to be either the P models or Wingmaster in order for the price difference.

a MM is in my furture.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    The one I was looking at today had a 550 price tag on it, with a mesa tactical stock for 150 more...not too bad.
    Fear No Evil.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You may want to check with Remington on this, but my understanding is that the Marine Magnum (as well as the law enforcement line) are Wingmasters.

But if you call them, by all means, do NOT listen to their drivel about how there is no difference between Express models and others, etc., and how any perceived differences are cosmetic, etc.

And most important, rack that action- that'll tell you a lot, right there.

I believe randytulsa2 is correct on this. I own the police, MM, Express and Wingmaster. The MM's action is as smooth if not smoother than the Wingmaster's. Rimington also stated that accesories for the police model will not fit on the MM. I have not had a problem with any parts fitting like a forend or a light mount.

Well, the story thickens a bit! This is why I asked the question about the MM cause I really don't know what model series the MM is from. Wingmaster would be a plus for sure. I am going to call Remmington on Moday and just see what they have to say about them as well a the P models.

At least I know they are not of the Express line, at least 99% sure anyway.

I will report my Remmington/MM findings Monday evening, assuming I will have the needed time forthe call that is.

By the way, my FFL has the MM's new for $560.00!

Update: I asked the question with the online service Remmington provides, it will take a day or two for them to respond back it say's. I will respond back then.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 9th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Alright, I got an answer from a very nice lady at Remmington who I asked as to what line is the Marine Magnum from. I haven't gotten any feed back online yet and I was tired of waiting. I looked at the date of the last question asked and it was from 2002 so I am not sure how often they check it.

After a few mintutes on hold she came back with the answers I was looking for. The Marine Magnum is from there "Special Purpose" line. It's not a Wingmaster nor is it a Police model although they are very similer in how both of those models are being processed.

The MM uses higher quality parts as found in the "WM" and "P" lines with a 26 point inspection being used for each one. The actions are hand polished along with the barrel's, fitting and general all around attention to detail compared to the Express Line where they skip many of these processes to keep cost's down and therefore are able to offer an affordable shotgun for all.

You are paying for more time spent ploishing and fitting, quality of parts used, coating used or wood used depending on from what line you choose as we all know.

So the bottom line is the Marine Magnum is from it's own "Special Purpose" line up and modeled after both the WM and P lines.

Ti

Links