AR-15 purchase in Conservative Connecticut

This is a discussion on AR-15 purchase in Conservative Connecticut within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have become interested in buying an AR-15. Problem is, I live in Connecticut and their laws suck for AR ownership. I looked around at ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By uscarry45

Thread: AR-15 purchase in Conservative Connecticut

AR-15 purchase in Conservative Connecticut

I have become interested in buying an AR-15. Problem is, I live in Connecticut and their laws suck for AR ownership. I looked around at some big box gun stores Hoffmans and Cabelas. Cabelas doesn't carry any in their Connecticut location and Hoffmans only carries a smith and wesson m&p 15-22. I want my ar chambered in 5.56. I'm assuming its hard to find because of the strict laws on what is considered an assault rifle? I assume the manufacturers don't want to waste their time on a CT legal AR. That's the reason I assume my search is coming up empty. So where can I find myself a nice legal AR in CT? I don't want to give up hope of owning one. I dont want to buy online and have shipped to an FFL because obv it will have to be CT legal to ship to me in CT anyway. Those chances are slim. Help??

2. Remove Ads

Have you thought about building one yourself? I would consider reading the other threads on building an AR. If you buy a brass punch and hammer, along with a screwdriver you could assemble one. You can buy all the parts legally, and have them shipped to your home, except the receiver. Do a little research on the assault weapons ban and you can avoid doing anything illegal.
    Eagleks likes this.

Last I new, you could own an AR, but you can't have the deadly bayonet lug, flash hider or collapsible stock IF it has a pistol grip. My shooting & training buddy back there has a couple, a Bushamster that was compliant, as purchased, and a second one he built with a generic lower and a gas piston upper.

Look here, and pay attention to 3. A. :ASSAULT WEAPON
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I know what the law is. Can only have two "evil features" and pistol grip already counts as one of those. So everything has to be pinned and no bayonet. Also can't be a colt ar 15 and some other name brands on the list. My concern wasn't finding out what is legal. It's finding one to purchase. And as far as build I don't think that would be the best idea as I'm new to the ar platform and need to start somewhere so id vote buying something assembled is better for me to start off with.

Not sure what is or is not legal in CT, but I do know that Stag is available in both 5.56 and 6.8 and it DOES NOT have a bayonet lug (at least the Model 8 doesn't). The 6.8 has its apeal because in some states it is not legal with hunt deer with the .223/5.56 (again i do not know what is or is not legal in CT and I have no idea where you plan on hunting, just my input)

I know that Stag is not a top tier brand, but they are a good reliable mid tier brand at a reasonable cost.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    I know what the law is. Can only have two "evil features" and pistol grip already counts as one of those. So everything has to be pinned and no bayonet. Also can't be a colt ar 15 and some other name brands on the list. My concern wasn't finding out what is legal. It's finding one to purchase. And as far as build I don't think that would be the best idea as I'm new to the ar platform and need to start somewhere so id vote buying something assembled is better for me to start off with.
    There are a lot of one man small operation FFLs in some parts of CT. Find one and see what they can
    get for you; or what you can get ordered through them. e.g. Google is your friend--
    Gun Shops 06423 - FFL gun dealers directory Just one example of the sort of search that might
    help you out.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You mention checking big box stores, have you checked with local gun dealers........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

A lot of the local gun stores in my area are tiny and have a lot of used and random crap to be honest. I haven't found any decent little pop run gun shops in my area so I stick to the big boxes.

You should go back to Hoffman and look around a little bit, they have all sorts of 5.56 / .223 AR's (Colt, Bushmaster, Stag Arms, S&W, etc) to the left of the gun rental counter, behind another counter dedicated to black rifle gear. I bought my S&W M&P Sport there, they run a sale on those like every other month (here). The list of named banned firearms was easily gotten around by the manufacturers changing the name on their AR platform's and then sending them right back out to market. Colt is made in West Hartford, CT (Stag Arms is in New Britain, CT), so they have CT compliant AR's as do every other major manufacturer of the platform.

I'm not sure you know what "conservative" means. CT is a liberal state. If it was conservative, like Arizona, purchasing and carrying guns would be much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb413 View Post
    You should go back to Hoffman and look around a little bit, they have all sorts of 5.56 / .223 AR's (Colt, Bushmaster, Stag Arms, S&W, etc) to the left of the gun rental counter, behind another counter dedicated to black rifle gear. I bought my S&W M&P Sport there, they run a sale on those like every other month (here). The list of named banned firearms was easily gotten around by the manufacturers changing the name on their AR platform's and then sending them right back out to market. Colt is made in West Hartford, CT (Stag Arms is in New Britain, CT), so they have CT compliant AR's as do every other major manufacturer of the platform.
    Wow I feel dumb now. They have the rifle wall on the opposite wall from the rental counter so naturally I went straight there and they have the s&w m&p 15-22 on that wall so I just figured that's all they had. Il have to run back there and check it out. And I had no clue stag was in new Britain. Thanks for the great info. That helps a lot. Got my hopes back up. Lol dumb cabelas.

Hoffman sure did have a huge rifle selection when I went! I'm going to head back up there as well once I get my M&P 9C from my FFL. I'm going to pickup another holster and ammo most likely from Hoffman's... it was the best store I've visited. It does suck that its a 1.5hr drive...but oh well!

I've purchased all of my handguns from hoffmans. I went in there to check out their ar selection before posting this thread and went to the rifle wall I always walk past near all the holsters. The only ar on the wall was the s&w m&p 15-22 so I figured that's all they had. And the fact that they had that ar on the wall made me think If they had more they would be on that wall with it not on the opposite side of the store by themselves near rental pistols. I could have just asked but it was FLOODED in there and I would have waited half hour just to get someone available to ask a question so I left. I'm glad someone knew they were somewhere else in the store so I can go back and look. I was bummed. Not any more.

JD
    Administrator

Re: AR-15 purchase in Conservative Connecticut

I really miss Hoffmans.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    buy a completed lower. Get that first. That's where the FFL is required.

Once you have that .... look for an upper that fits the bill, or build one up, and attach it to the lower. Wa ... la ... you now have an AR. Or , discuss it with a gunsmith and let him put the upper together like you want it, and you buy the parts. You can get a "custom" upper in various places as well. The upper does not require an FFL.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links