Help me decide on my first Evil Black Rifle.

This is a discussion on Help me decide on my first Evil Black Rifle. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, Just want to thank those of you offer up your insights and feedback up front here. I am undecided on Caliber, brand and ...

Thread: Help me decide on my first Evil Black Rifle.

Hi All,

Just want to thank those of you offer up your insights and feedback up front here. I am undecided on Caliber, brand and optics.

What I want - Reliable rifle that I can use for both pleasure shooting and hunting (White Tail being the largest game I would take with said rifle).

I have talked to quite a few people regarding caliber but not a lot of them have real world experience a lot of it has been theoretical. Now where I will be hunting a 400 - 600 yard shot is not THAT uncommon, some of the folks I have talked to have said that a .308 is the only way to go at those ranges and others say the 5.56 will be more accurate at that range and bullet technology has really made the heavier .308 not as effective as well. Anyone have real world experience that they could share on that topic?

As far as brands go I have been looking at an Olympic arms AR-15 and in 7.62 I have been looking at the RRA LAR-8. I would like to keep an AR-15 under 1k for the rifle itself and something in 7.62 under $1500 if I can. I know of the major brands, anyone have a suggestion that I might be overlooking? Not sure I am proficient enough to build my own.

Optics I was thinking I would have to go with a couple of them for what I am looking for. Something like an EO-Tech for pleasure shooting and something more suited for hunting as well. Is there a good all in one I am over looking, or another option that might be out there?

Thanks again for any insight you can offer up. This is going to be my first AR purchase and I just want to get it right, or as right as anyone can get it :).

2. Remove Ads

LMT Defender Lower with a Rifle Gear (Daniel Defense) upper. Mine is 1 in 7 twist. At 100 yards mine does 1" easily. If I could hold steadier it would be even better. Probably $1,100 total leaving you $400 for optics.

The AR above was my first and I decided right away I wanted something higher quality that BM, DPMS, etc.

If 400 to 600 yards and hunting is your theater of choice ... then I would have to recommend the 7.62x51 as well. I do realize that you are asking specifically about a "Black Rifle" ;) Have you ever considered an M1A from Springfield Armory? I only bring this up because in my opinion there is NO "Black Rifle" thats going to match it in accuracy or reliablity for the same money .... whether you decide to hunt animals or take it into battle. Let me say this ... I have several 5.56 and I love them .... but everthing they are trying to change about our lovely AR-15/M4 variant to make them more reliable is already done in an M1A. M1A is a piston based gun...built that way from the ground up ... no one with an AK wants to meet the guy with the M1A ;) These guns can be had new for $1100 fiberglass stock to $2000tricked out with match barrels etc .... Just something to think about. .... Oh yeah .. one more thing ... M1A's definitely hold their value so if you did want to sell it later you would have a line of buddies wanting it ;)

If you still want to go with an AR style 5.56 or 7.62.... look at Bravo Company. They have some nice 18" and 20" stainless uppers that you could mate with their lower or another manufactures lower if you prefer. The longer barrels will allow you to reach higher velocites as the bullet is "pushed" longer in the barrel before it leaves ;). You'll need this for the 400 yard plus shots. If it were me I'd even consider a match 22" or 24" barrel. Stainless is generally considered more durable and accurate over standard mil-spec 11595/4150, with the exception to cold hammer forged which is typically as accurate.

Bravo Company makes really great guns and as above with the M1A you would never have a problem getting rid of it if you decided you wanted to. I'd carry a BCM into battle any day ... you will fail before the gun does ;) and there will be bodies stacked all around you ....

In regards to AR's ... If you order your "gun" as separate items ... as in you buy your "Complete Lower" separately from the "Complete Upper" you can avoid the 11% Federal excise tax. I believe the law states they have to be truly ordered separate ... they can't be on the same "ticket" together simply listed as separate items.

Google is your friend in this instance .... I always have lived by the "Trust but Verify" motto ;)

Have you considered building one??

Benefits:

1. Not difficult (tons of websites and online vids show how)
    2. Save money
    3. Choose your quality (and every single part)
    4. Confidence in your rifle! (you can repair/clean with ease, you know EXACTLY how it functions)

Point #4 may be one of the most important reasons for building your AR. There may be even more reasons (pros) to building your own than I mentioned and I really can't think of any (cons) If you pay attention, your rifle will be every bit as good as anything on the market (as compared to something equivalent to yours, depending on what parts you choose, etc) Don't think that a certain "brand name" will be any better. Fact is, nobody will care more about building your rifle than you will, therefore it will be as perfect as you make it, and like I said, its easy to do. But if you have your mind set on buying one instead, thats your choice. Regardless, have fun with it and congrats on your first (non evil) AR!

AR = Sporting rifle .... so you are wanting a "sporting rifle " ..... don't give them the "assault rifle" label on it they want to use. Just a tidbit.

308 caliber for what you are wanting it for, for my .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Re: Help me decide on my first Evil Black Rifle.

Look no further:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...tion&key=LE901

This Colt will also accept uppers that are compatible with 5.56 lowers.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Links