First AR purchase - Page 2

First AR purchase

This is a discussion on First AR purchase within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Might have to make this my sig. line. Whenever you set a low budget dollar amount for a rifle, double it. Accessories will kill ya. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: First AR purchase

Might have to make this my sig. line.

Whenever you set a low budget dollar amount for a rifle, double it. Accessories will kill ya.

RDS, Mags, Ammo, Light, Sling. Never, ever think that you can go spend $1k and be ready to go shooting. You get 1-3 mags, no ammo, maybe iron sights, no sling, no light, no optic.

Of all that were listed for an entry level rifle, the PSA Patrol is your best bang for the buck. Quality rifle + $400 optic. Another $300 for mags, sling and ammo to get you by for a range trip or two. Then save up your money for a few months and take a class or two (Appleseed and/or entry carbine course) and learn how to operate your rifle efficiently.
    CJM likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Whenever you set a low budget dollar amount for a rifle, double it. Accessories will kill ya.
    Yep. Guns are cheap, it's the ammo and accessories that make our wives nervous when we're left alone and unsupervised inside a gun shop.
    scgunlover1 and pattywak like this.

CORE15. Made in Ocala, FL. They start with MIL-SPEC. Their basic M4 in .223 is about $899. Chrome lined chamber, forward assist, dust cover, flat top receiver. Not bad. Check them out. The company was started by the same guy that started Bushmaster.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwylie View Post
    Thanks for all the information. I think this is the setup I might go with from PSA for $799.99. Now I just need to find an FFL that will do a transfer.

PSA PA-15 QMS Tac Pack,
    16" barrel length
    5.56 Nato Chamber
    1 in 7" twist
    Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
    Chrome lined barrel
    Forged upper and lower
    ALG QMS Trigger
    Magpul rear BUS
    3 Magazine
    Lock
    PSA Tactical Case
    Here you go:

How to find a local FFL

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    CORE15. Made in Ocala, FL. They start with MIL-SPEC. Their basic M4 in .223 is about $899. Chrome lined chamber, forward assist, dust cover, flat top receiver. Not bad. Check them out. The company was started by the same guy that started Bushmaster.
    Then that's a deal breaker. I have a BCG and charging handle of theirs, but I think I would pass on their rifles for now.

Welcome!

Just a thought, but if you plan on using this rifle for your Reserve LEO application, ensure that the department allows the use of the rifle you are planning on purchasing. A lot of departments have a basic must-meet requirement as far as what company makes the rifle to what you can and cannot have on it (accessories). Good Luck!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

(J.R.R.Tolkien [Faramir], The Two Towers

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Colt LE6920 or BCM; can't go wrong with either one of them. If you don't want a carbine and have to have a mid-length then get the BCM.

BCM , LMT, YNH, Rock River, Palemento .... would be my initial thoughts.

Good feedback by everyone above. Give yourself some $$$$ for accessories you may want to add, and will.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    BCM , LMT, YNH, Ranier Arms, Palemento .... would be my initial thoughts.

Good feedback by everyone above. Give yourself some $$$$ for accessories you may want to add, and will.
    Fixed it for ya.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Thanks for all the information and advice. I know accessories will be a killer and the wife is already trying to figure out what to get me for christmas, I told her when I get my rifle that I would give her a list of goodies I would like.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlwylie View Post
    Thanks for all the information and advice. I know accessories will be a killer and the wife is already trying to figure out what to get me for christmas, I told her when I get my rifle that I would give her a list of goodies I would like.
    No need to rush into accessories. Just go with mags and ammo until you get the hang of things.

VIP Member
    Ask her for a nice tactical case for it. Nice little under the tree gift.

Like some of the others have stated go with a Colt, Bravo Company (BCM) or DD. They are not much more than the hobby grade rifles like Bushmaster, Windham, etc. If you want a good site to research ARs go to M4Carbine.net, stay away from arfcom.

DUde if you got a $1000 and want a carbine.... No other option there is...go Colt.

I like mid length carbine, I like the way middy's shoot, sight's so.....Colt wasnt for me.

2xR

First AR purchase

Daniel Defense all the way. $1199 and you get low rise gas block, free floated barrel and great craftsmanship!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 - Yes, it is AWESOME - using Tapatalk.
    discoboxer likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links