Defensive Carry banner

First AR purchase

5K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Dangerfield 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying my first AR platform. I primarily want it for target shooting, varmints and as a possible duty gun when I get on as a Reserve LEO. I want to stay away from DPMS and Bushmaster as some of the reviews I read haven't been too favorable. My price point is $1,000. I've read some good things about Stag and Rock River or would I be better off doing a build? Any advice would be helpful as this would be my only AR purchase.

#2 ·

#3 ·
In that price range I'd stick with Stag or S&W. If you could save a few hundred more you could get a Colt and with $500-700 hundred more, you could get a REALLY nice Daniel Defense or Bravo Company. I would stay away from Bushmaster.

Reactions: discoboxer
#4 ·
Reactions: daveb413
#9 ·
Just be aware that the base model doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist. I personally like the OR model, as it has both, plus it has a chromed barrel!

#8 ·
S&W, Stag, Palmetto, Colt, Windham Weaponry... All make very nice rifles and all have offerings under $1K

Be sure to post so pics of your eventual choice :)

#10 ·
The Colt 6920 can be had right around $1K. For that price, there's no reason to give DPMS/Bushmaster et al, the time of day.

I have a BCM middy that has about $1100 invested, minus an optic.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Reactions: DefConGun
#11 ·
I didn't realize you could get a colt for $1000. Around here they're more like $1200-1300. However, if you can find one for a grand, go for it!

#13 ·
Reactions: scgunlover1
#15 ·
Thanks for all the information. I think this is the setup I might go with from PSA for $799.99. Now I just need to find an FFL that will do a transfer.

PSA PA-15 QMS Tac Pack,
16" barrel length
5.56 Nato Chamber
1 in 7" twist
Chrome Moly Vanadium barrel
Chrome lined barrel
Forged upper and lower
ALG QMS Trigger
Magpul rear BUS
3 Magazine
Lock
PSA Tactical Case

#16 ·
Might have to make this my sig. line.

Whenever you set a low budget dollar amount for a rifle, double it. Accessories will kill ya.

RDS, Mags, Ammo, Light, Sling. Never, ever think that you can go spend $1k and be ready to go shooting. You get 1-3 mags, no ammo, maybe iron sights, no sling, no light, no optic.

Of all that were listed for an entry level rifle, the PSA Patrol is your best bang for the buck. Quality rifle + $400 optic. Another $300 for mags, sling and ammo to get you by for a range trip or two. Then save up your money for a few months and take a class or two (Appleseed and/or entry carbine course) and learn how to operate your rifle efficiently.

Reactions: CJM
#18 ·
CORE15. Made in Ocala, FL. They start with MIL-SPEC. Their basic M4 in .223 is about $899. Chrome lined chamber, forward assist, dust cover, flat top receiver. Not bad. Check them out. The company was started by the same guy that started Bushmaster.

#20 ·
CORE15. Made in Ocala, FL. They start with MIL-SPEC. Their basic M4 in .223 is about $899. Chrome lined chamber, forward assist, dust cover, flat top receiver. Not bad. Check them out. The company was started by the same guy that started Bushmaster.
Then that's a deal breaker. I have a BCG and charging handle of theirs, but I think I would pass on their rifles for now.

#21 ·
Welcome!

Just a thought, but if you plan on using this rifle for your Reserve LEO application, ensure that the department allows the use of the rifle you are planning on purchasing. A lot of departments have a basic must-meet requirement as far as what company makes the rifle to what you can and cannot have on it (accessories). Good Luck!

#23 ·
BCM , LMT, YNH, Rock River, Palemento .... would be my initial thoughts.

Good feedback by everyone above. Give yourself some $$$$ for accessories you may want to add, and will.

#24 ·
BCM , LMT, YNH, Ranier Arms, Palemento .... would be my initial thoughts.

Good feedback by everyone above. Give yourself some $$$$ for accessories you may want to add, and will.
Fixed it for ya.

#28 ·
Like some of the others have stated go with a Colt, Bravo Company (BCM) or DD. They are not much more than the hobby grade rifles like Bushmaster, Windham, etc. If you want a good site to research ARs go to M4Carbine.net, stay away from arfcom.

#31 ·
I had a dpms before and it was decent but ultimatley i didnt like it. I sold it and bought some differrnt guns but now am building my own. I got a swm&p stripped lower and am undecided on the rest. My cousin is in lawenforcement and recommended bravo company. Their uppers are
pricey but worth it. Daniel Defense is great if you want to spend the money. Knights Armament is also expensive but good quality. I am buildong mime for target and defensive purposes only. I just want max accuracy at like 300 meters. Im not an expert with ar's though and I am sure you can get more of an expert opinion than mine on the boards here.

#32 ·
BCM is not all that pricy, but worth twice what you spend.

Reactions: discoboxer
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.