New to rifles with questions - Page 3

New to rifles with questions

This is a discussion on New to rifles with questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 So you have seen FTE, stovepipes, and double feeds in a LEVER ACTION? Please don't take this as digging ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New to rifles with questions

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    So you have seen FTE, stovepipes, and double feeds in a LEVER ACTION?
    Please don't take this as digging at you, But yes I have seen it. If you hang around Cowboy Action Shoots enough You will see them too.
    I don't know the OP, But he asked an open question and got some honest answers. I'm not an AR expert But the two Ive shot Both worked flawlessly, and could be shot easily both left or right handed. DR

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    For a 'grab it right now and shoot' the lever action is top notch. OR he could spend 6 years in the Marines like I did and on line 23B of his DD214 would say "PROOF TECH (SmARMS)", OR he could spend $2K-$3K taking all the rifle classes at Front Sight, or one of the other top notch schools, OR he could listen to the armchair commandos on gun sites and just THINK he has his bases covered. I may be in error but I think a family guy is going for a K.I.S.S. approach.
    You make quite a few assumptions about DC members because this is an internet forum. I can assure you there are many members who vary in skill level and knowledge. Getting back to a response to your previous post, the actual manipulation of a firearm is a pretty easy skill to learn. Where the majority of the training happens is situational, and that is the same if it's an AR or a Lever Action.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

As gasmitty pointed out, I'd pick up a plain old Marlin 336SS(I like stainless steel) in 30-30...the pride of my long guns.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I'd like to think I'd be able to learn somewhat quickly, but who knows.

Anyways, there's a gun show this weekend near where I live, so I'm thinking I may go look around at both and see which I like better.

Thanks again to everyone.

For target and home defense, I would stay with the pistol caliber rifles. .357 and .44 levers are a good choice. But, I would lean toward a 9mm,40 S&W, 45ACP carbine. Any of the rifle calibers will easily penetrate the walls of a house and anyone you shoot inside the house. I think pistol cal carbines with good hollow points would be a better choice even though they can still penetrate walls. The carbine adds about 150-200 fps to the velocity from a 5" bbl pistol. I think of them as range extenders - making the handgun cal good to 75-100 yds. Ruger used to make a model in 9 and 40, and Marlin also. In the used market they will be at the high end of your price range. For ~ $300 you can get a new HiPoint carbine in any of those cals. I bought one 3 months ago in .45, and it has performed flawlessly for ~2,000 rounds. No (none) failures to feed, extract or fire. I ran a box of WWB through it for the first shoot, and have been using Tula since then as a torture test. Accuracy is 1 1/2", 5 shot groups at 50 yds and it would do better if I used a rest. It sits in the safe with the Rugers, Smiths, Winchesters and Remingtons, and they don't complain. A friend, who is a big Kimber fan, laughed until he shot it and then got one himself. It's more fun per $ than any gun I own (almost).

Quote Originally Posted by VaGentleman View Post
    For target and home defense, I would stay with the pistol caliber rifles. .357 and .44 levers are a good choice. But, I would lean toward a 9mm,40 S&W, 45ACP carbine. Any of the rifle calibers will easily penetrate the walls of a house and anyone you shoot inside the house. I think pistol cal carbines with good hollow points would be a better choice even though they can still penetrate walls. The carbine adds about 150-200 fps to the velocity from a 5" bbl pistol. I think of them as range extenders - making the handgun cal good to 75-100 yds. Ruger used to make a model in 9 and 40, and Marlin also. In the used market they will be at the high end of your price range. For ~ $300 you can get a new HiPoint carbine in any of those cals. I bought one 3 months ago in .45, and it has performed flawlessly for ~2,000 rounds. No (none) failures to feed, extract or fire. I ran a box of WWB through it for the first shoot, and have been using Tula since then as a torture test. Accuracy is 1 1/2", 5 shot groups at 50 yds and it would do better if I used a rest. It sits in the safe with the Rugers, Smiths, Winchesters and Remingtons, and they don't complain. A friend, who is a big Kimber fan, laughed until he shot it and then got one himself. It's more fun per $ than any gun I own (almost).
    This may be exactly what I'm looking for. I already own a 9mm so I could use the same ammo. Thanks.

Slightly off topic, what is the difference between a red dot scope and a RGB scope?

The red dots are usually 1x (no magnification) and you just have a red dot in the center of the scope that you align with the target. They also make a red / green where you can select which color. The RGBs that I have seen have magnification and a crosshair which is in R or G or Blue. I have a cheap ($40) red / green dot on my carbine, and it is great for the 100 yd or less use I give it. Choosing colors is good if you have a vision problem or if the background / lighting makes one color difficult to see.

VIP Member
    Beretta JX4P415 CX4 STORM PX4MAG 40SW 14RD $785.00 SHIPS FREE

I am going go outside the box on this one. These come in 40 MM and 9MM I know pistol ammo but it is a rifle for HD and could have a good time with it at the range. They already have a rail on them so you could add any type of site. Plus large detachable mags. I like lever and bolt rifles but I would rather a semi with a large cap mag for HD if I had the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by VaGentleman View Post
    I'm sure VaGentleman means well, and his advice is just that - advice. That said - there are some things presented here as "facts" that just aren't "true".
    Many of the rifle calibers will not easily penetrate the walls of the house or anyone you shoot inside the house. There are many modern defense loads specifically designed to fragment on impact - they weigh less than pistol bullets (by usually 50% or more), and have much greater effects on target than any "good hollow point" could ever accomplish.
    I have no dog in this fight - nothing against pistol caliber carbines. There is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't exist. But please check your facts before you go making decisions based on advice from internet forums or gun stores.

Austin

VIP Member
    If you got with the Storm the ammo is reasonably priced ( 9MM/40MM) So you could shoot it alot!

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I'm sure VaGentleman means well, and his advice is just that - advice. That said - there are some things presented here as "facts" that just aren't "true".
    Many of the rifle calibers will not easily penetrate the walls of the house or anyone you shoot inside the house. There are many modern defense loads specifically designed to fragment on impact - they weigh less than pistol bullets (by usually 50% or more), and have much greater effects on target than any "good hollow point" could ever accomplish.
    I have no dog in this fight - nothing against pistol caliber carbines. There is obviously a market for them or they wouldn't exist. But please check your facts before you go making decisions based on advice from internet forums or gun stores.

Austin

I am not sure what rifle calibers will NOT penetrate walls. I keep a .22 Henry, loaded with shorts behind a sofa. My housekeeper was cleaning baseboards and it went off. The .22 short went THROUGH 2 dry walls and stopped in a box of holsters.

I just rephrased his statement to make it more true. Bullets go through walls - unless you are shooting #9 shot from 20 yards, then maybe not. If you're expecting to hurt someone with a bullet, whether or not it may go through a wall shouldn't really be part of the criteria. A heavy bullet from a pistol that is designed to retain maximum weight, compared to a lighter bullet from a rifle designed to fragment on impact - which would you think will penetrate further?

Austin

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I just rephrased his statement to make it more true. Bullets go through walls - unless you are shooting #9 shot from 20 yards, then maybe not. If you're expecting to hurt someone with a bullet, whether or not it may go through a wall shouldn't really be part of the criteria. A heavy bullet from a pistol that is designed to retain maximum weight, compared to a lighter bullet from a rifle designed to fragment on impact - which would you think will penetrate further?

Austin

Kind of off topic but it surprised the heck out of me that a .22 short could go THROUGH 2 layers of dry wall and finally stop in a bunch of old holsters.

Since this IS a defensive rifle & SHOTGUN forum (and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet), got to throw in my $0.02. Consider a simple pump shotgun for your home defense weapon. Many people believe in this weapon for home defense (including me) and I wouldn't have anything else outside the safe. Just point (not aim), shoot, cycle, and repeat. If 6-12 rounds of 12ga #2 (or bigger) won't stop him...you're in trouble anyway. Granted, this solution only solves the HD issue, not the target/plinking issue, but there are plenty of other options out there for target fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gasman311 View Post
    Since this IS a defensive rifle & SHOTGUN forum (and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet), got to throw in my $0.02. Consider a simple pump shotgun for your home defense weapon. Many people believe in this weapon for home defense (including me) and I wouldn't have anything else outside the safe. Just point (not aim), shoot, cycle, and repeat. If 6-12 rounds of 12ga #2 (or bigger) won't stop him...you're in trouble anyway. Granted, this solution only solves the HD issue, not the target/plinking issue, but there are plenty of other options out there for target fun.
    No offense, but my guess is no one's mentioned shotguns because I didn't ask about shotguns, I asked about rilfes. But I do appreciate the input.

And to MrBuckwheat, I know it shouldn't matter but that is one ugly weapon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links