New to rifles with questions

This is a discussion on New to rifles with questions within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New to rifles, so not trying to start any wars, honest. Was talking to the family this past weekend and the father-in-law is talking about ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New to rifles with questions

New to rifles, so not trying to start any wars, honest.

Was talking to the family this past weekend and the father-in-law is talking about getting a rifle. Got me thinking, plus with the recent events, that it may not be a bad idea. However, I know pretty much nothing about rifles, and the once or twice Iíve tried to shoot them I couldnít because of my cross dominance (right hand/left eye). I have a couple questions Iím hoping might help educate me and decide if itís worth it for me.

1.) Since this would mostly be for target practice and home defense, what would be the best caliber?Iíve done some searching and it seems that .223 or 5.56 is recommended, maybe 30-.06. The .357 intrigues me though because that ammo seems cheaper than rifle ammo.

2.) Lever/bolt action or AR-type? I would think in HD situation the AR would be better, but that seems to kick out the .357.

3.) Is there a good entry level inexpensive rifle based on your recommendations above that would also be able to be fitted with a red dot sight (which sounds to help the cross dominance issue). I guess total I could spend $700-800, maybe a little more. This may not be possible, and if so, thatís fine as well.

Like I said, this isnít a for sure thing, just trying to get an idea of what Iíd be looking at to decide if I really want to go this route or not. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

S&W M&P 15 with a Vortex StrikeFire.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of the M&P15 (I'm a big fan of the AR/M4-ish platform, but I'm a picky SOB there too). But I have a few shooting buddies with that particular setup and it's not too shabby.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I just picked up an AR but I also own a .357 lever action and it is fun. Also, I read somewhere that the lever may be the perfect urban warfare rifle because you never have to take it out of battery. Just put in a few more rounds after shooting a few. Plus you only have to purchase one caliber ammo if you own the same in a revolver, which I do. Rossi Puma is great and you can go .44 if you want like.

I'm kinda in the same boat as the OP. Not really for HD, just to use at the range.. I noticed a flyer at a local gun show the other day for a class to build your own AR. Is that something I should check into? Or should I just buy something that is already assembled?

This is really nice. MOE WARRIOR .... but not sure if that's overkill or what the deal is. Researching more now. My brother has a Bushmaster 223, seems to like it..but I've read others don't prefer the BM..

Ex Member
    Go with the .357 lever action. Unlike the AR, or AK, there is NO learning curve.

A lever gun in a pistol caliber is not a bad idea at all.... Although if its going to be used as home defense, I'd step up to a .44. And nothing wrong with putting a red dot on a lever gun..... My favorite hog hunting gun is a Marlin 1895 with a Vortex SPARC

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I like a pistol caliber rifle. Reduces caliber variety.
    bigmacque likes this.

S&W Model M&P15 Sport
    The price is $739.00 (Suggested Retail, Dealer Sets Actual Pricing)
    Product: Model M&P15 Sport™
    daveb413 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Is there somewhere to get a good introduction to ARs? I'm looking to get one in 12-18 months but have no idea what I'm looking at, what things to consider, etc. I've done some google searches but haven't found anything good yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Crews View Post
    A lever gun in a pistol caliber is not a bad idea at all.... Although if its going to be used as home defense, I'd step up to a .44. And nothing wrong with putting a red dot on a lever gun..... My favorite hog hunting gun is a Marlin 1895 with a Vortex SPARC
    Would you have to worry about over-penetration with that?

Man, I know zero about wall penetration.... I live in a house by myself, so i dont study stuff like that. But I would assume that a .44 is no more a problem than a .357 would be...

I really like my S&W M&P 15. a few thousand rounds without a hiccup. easy to maintain and a blast to shoot. I have the OR MOE (Optics Ready....no sights, Magpul furniture) slapped a $35 red dot (reflex sight) on it and never looked back. I think the tolerances could be a little tighter but I didnt buy a MIL SPEC rifle and knew that going in.
    I think a lever action would be an amazing HD and Range gun, like 1 old 0311 stated there is NO LEARNING CURVE....point and shoot!
    Happy hunting, let us know what you decide on

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I like pistol cal carbines. some of my favorites are Marlin camp 9 and camp 45, 1894 lever carbines, [ they come in 357 and 45 colt], and the 9mm ARs. If you are right handed and left eye dominate you can shoot it left handed or learn to shoot with the left eye shut. All of the above are pretty much ambidextrous. And pretty much family friendly. But one of the best first rifles is a 22lr Marlin 60. Good luck DR

The purpose of a rifle is to cause massive damage and accurate fire. A pistol caliber carbine will never be able to match the terminal performance of high powered ammunition - not to mention you lose out on the capacity as well. I think people should buy what they want - but try to be well informed before you start buying!

Austin

Smith and Wesson M&P Sport or a DPMS in 5.56 mm. AR-15 is what I'd recommend. Easily manageable recoil, high capacity and can add to it as your money is available.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links