AK47 vs AR15

This is a discussion on AK47 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by pittypat21 Actually, the .308 is basically a 7.62x51 - so not quite. He said bullet, not cartridge....So yes a .311 diameter bullet ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: AK47 vs AR15

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Actually, the .308 is basically a 7.62x51 - so not quite.
    He said bullet, not cartridge....So yes a .311 diameter bullet is "essentially" a .308 diameter bullet.

Unless you think two thousandths of an inch are going to make a difference.

2. Remove Ads

I went with a WASR 10/63. Almost half the price of a good AR15. Sure the AR is more accurate, if I had a farm to protect I would go with an AR. In an urban setting I doubt I would need to shoot more than 100 yards and the AK will do that fine. Ammo is more than 30% cheaper for the AK and it will eat whatever you feed it. I got 7000 rounds of 154 grain soft points shipped from cabellas for $1500. I'm not into tacticool accessories, I'll spend that ca$h on ammo.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    He said bullet, not cartridge....So yes a .311 bullet is essentially a .308 diameter bullet. Unless you think two thousandths of an inch are going to make a difference.
    Exactly. I didn't state that it was exactly the same. And it is still bigger than an AR caliber. So the general "gist" of my post was accurate.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    Given the reasons you noted, I would say AK... given the HUGE numbers of AR's being sold... 7.62's will prob be easier to find.

Three thousandths, three, really.

.311 minus .308 = .003?

Unless you think two thousandths of an inch are going to make a difference

AK47 vs AR15

i'd get it. you might decide later that it's not your "go to" rifle but you certainly won't regret getting it. they're just great rifles that always always work. I'm concerned about future availability of 7.62x39 as well so there are certainly reasons to look at other, more available calibers. the 7.62x39 is a hard hitter and medium ranges but the 5.56 will fill the same role just as well and reach out a fair about farther so I think you'd be happy with either. you'll of course be happier with both.;)

I'd keep the AK and get the AR as soon as it's practical to do so. The AK ammo is nice and cheap for its power level, and is very fun to shoot. You can also get inexpensive surplus magazines for it very easily, and they work quite well. I have a cheap Romanian WASR rifle and some ARs. I do like the ARs more as fighting guns, but the AK isn't going anywhere and I don't regret buying it.

If you've suddenly become this wishy-washy, then at this point certainly DON'T pay even MORE money...to change your mind. It's (IMHO) cheaper & smarter to accept the AK and determine FOR SURE if you like it or not. There's lots of folks urgently seeking AKs right now, it's not like you're gonna' lose your shirt on it. But it's FOR SURE that you're gonna' flush the 25% restock fee down the crapper if you bail out.
    accessbob and Rock and Glock like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Keep the AK. Works just fine, lasts long time. Then if you still want an AR, just save up & get a quality one.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

Both! And a FAL!

They all have their ups and downs. It really comes down to the operator and their perceptions/preferences.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    Both! And a FAL!

They all have their ups and downs. It really comes down to the operator and their perceptions/preferences.
    The AR was designed to be operated by a WELL trained Marine, Soldier, Airman, or Sailor who spent time at the range, in books, and in class. The AK was designed, like most Soviet weapons, to be operate by an illiterate Third World soldier with 15 minutes training.
    During the Rhodesian war the terrorists were missing 99% of the time. Their weapons all turned out to have the rear site set to 1500 yards. Eventually someone asked a POW why they had their sites set at 1500. The response was they thought it made the bullets go FASTER. ANYONE who is even close to as smart to an illiterate, uneducated Third Wonder can keep an AK working.
    Fortunately I don't have to buy 'cheap' so I buy the best.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Three thousandths, three, really.

.311 minus .308 = .003?
    Looks like I made an oopsie as well. : )

If I could only have 1 it would be a AR/M4 5.56 but it not a bad idea to have more than on option.
    Ak is effective in your yard, the AR is effective in the yard and down the road a bit.
    A good AR 5.56 will also fire .223 with a little loss in accuracy but not that bad so you have more options.
    I am betting it will be easier to get ammo for a AR than an AK. If for some reason it is easier to get 7.62X39 ....we are in a real mess
    CIBMike likes this.

RKM
    I prefer an AR in almost everyway. But there is something about the AK's character that makes me love it. Get both.

VIP Member
    First to the OP. You will not regret your decision to buy an AK over an AR. It is not worth the 25% to cancel it.

The AK/AR debate has gone on since there inception and will continue to rage on. An AK is much more accurate than stated and the AR is much more reliable than stated. MAC on here did a couple of videos showing both these topics.

I carry AK's for a living and have no issues with them at all. There are a couple of simple mods that you can do to the gun to make it shoot better but they are not required. I also have and used AR/M4's and have no issue with them as far as reliability or the ability of the cartridge to stop a threat but it is all up to you in which one you like.

I have some of each and would not hesitate to grab either one. If you want the best of both worlds then get an AR piston gun or a SIG 556 or 556R. They have the AK type gas system with the controls of an AR.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links