AK47 vs AR15

This is a discussion on AK47 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I always loved the AK format but, also really liked the 5.56 as a SHTF caliber so I have been with the GALIL for many ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: AK47 vs AR15

Administrator
    I always loved the AK format but, also really liked the 5.56 as a SHTF caliber so I have been with the GALIL for many years now and see no reason to switch to the AR platform at this stage in my life game. The original Israeli Military Industries I.M.I. Galils are priced well out of reach for most folks these days so I wouldn't even suggest one as a possible option.

If I was just jumping into the battle rifle game TODAY I would probably opt for a good quality well built AR.

But, honestly EITHER will serve you well should the flesh eating zombies start walking the Earth anytime soon.

Rock and Glock likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Maybe best of both worlds .300 Blackout it is .308 bullet in a 556 modified case. Has similar ballistics to the AK round and you shoot it from your AR with a custom barrel on it. finding ammo would be a trick but its easy enough to make your own out of old 556 cases.300 blackout bullet.jpg
    here is one from tonights batch.
    you can also make sub sonic rounds.

For the reasons of possible ban, i would say get your AK while you can. There is a better chance that foreign made guns will be banned before domestic. Remember when we could get quality Chinese rifles for next to nothing? Chinese SKS's can still be had inexpensively in Canada, but not here anymore.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkworks View Post
    For the reasons of possible ban, i would say get your AK while you can. There is a better chance that foreign made guns will be banned before domestic. Remember when we could get quality Chinese rifles for next to nothing? Chinese SKS's can still be had inexpensively in Canada, but not here anymore.

I bought a Chinese AK underfolder for $400 in 1994 three weeks before the Clinton/Bill Ruger AWB went into effect. The following weekend I walked into the Indy 1500 gun show and before I got 20 feet into the door there were 3 guys bidding. I sold it for $1300.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I always loved the AK format but, also really liked the 5.56 as a SHTF caliber so I have been with the GALIL for many years now
    My brother-in-law has one and it is quite nice. He's trying to sell it now though as they are in hard financial straights. He's got it up on the local firearms forum for $850. I wish I could buy it from him. It would help him out and keep it in the family (plus I like it and my daughter - 15 - loves it).
    EDC - Glock 36 OR Glock 30, Ruger LC9, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

I too own a Norinco model 56S, It will probably be my SHTF rifle. Local Wally world does stock it, and whoever or whatever representative decides to invade us will probably be utilizing the same 7.62x39 ammo. Which is not the same as the 7.62x51 (.308) or 7.62x63 (.30-06 which also uses .308 diameter bullet). I believe the diameter is .311 as per reloading rags such as Natchez and etc.

When it comes to knock down at close quarters no comparison, now if you want it to yaw and split up and mess the dude up for life, so he can sue your butt. Go with the .223. The cartridge was a varmint round with the specific purpose of not just taking the one dude out but 02 of his buddy's who now have to deal with the casualty.

Combat Lifesaver/ Buddy Aid
    TC3
    EMT-B
    and Goat course Grad.

I just got back from the range and I am in love with my new Zastava PAP M70 AK47!

Very damn accurate at 100 yards and the ammo is dirt cheap, picked up 1k hollow points for $350

AK all the way guys

AK lower cost short range works well good stopping power at short range Heavy Ammo heavy
    AR higher cost double the range will make the stop though out it's effect range.Light Ammo light you can carry more
    No the the AK is not basically a 308 it does not have the power behind it a 308 has it is closer to your 3030.
    Good idea Both.
    turned in.JPG

Or, you could get an AR-10 or M1a and reach out and touch someone....
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

After shooting my Dad's AR,when i was a teen,i knew i had to have one.I wasn't able to afford one,until,a little over 3 yrs ago.After checking around,i got a decent deal on a Stag M1.It was a good choice,so far no problems.I love shooting it,(not so much lately).I've shot an AK,a couple of times,but,it's not in the budget,right now.

Get an AK in .223/5.56? Personally I like 7.62x39, but an AK in .223/5.56 has the AK's toughness and the AR's accuracy. MANY AR's don't shoot 1" groups at 100 yards, and some 5.56 AK's do. Just food for thought. 7.62x39 is easily good for 300+ yards on a man sized target btw. .223/5.56 AK mags are expensive and harder to find however. I see no reason why anyone should ever buy an AR unless you simply want to be practiced with our military's assault rifle. Not a bad idea if SHTF or we're invaded. Can't go wrong with both, but AK's must come first.

OP - stick with the AK and if you get more money someday get the AR. I have both, enjoy shooting both. But there's something very satisfying about the simplicity of the AK. It's hard to describe. Just get it and you'll see.

Side by side, I'll reach for the AK every time.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO
    "Only Saints and Warriors are allowed in my world now, and forever."
    OR53 1998

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    I carried an AR for 6 years in the Marines, 2 of which were in Vietnam fighting the NVA, and VC, who were using the AK. I own an AK and would NOT switch to an AR. I saw more than a few AR's that were jammed up next to dead Marines. I NEVER saw, in spite of poor maintenance, an AK fail. I also saw 5' tall 90 pound guys take 3-4 hits from a AR and keep on fighting. An AK usually puts down BIG people. You want FIRST HAND ADVICE? You just got it.
    thats exactly why i wouldnt want an AK (i have an AR15) is because like you said the NVA used them to kill OUR american soldiers. its a good gun but its an American killer. ill take the AR15 all day and see whos still standing after getting shot once or twice with it 223/556 and if you are still standing your going to be getting shot again...( assuming your a bad guy or a threat). IMHO

keep it clean and if it jams switch to your sidearm untill you can clear the jam.
    G23 gen3 HD
    G27 gen3 EDC
    Bushmaster AR15
    Rem 870

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo.g23 View Post
    thats exactly why i wouldnt want an AK (i have an AR15) is because like you said the NVA used them to kill OUR american soldiers. its a good gun but its an American killer. ill take the AR15 all day and see whos still standing after getting shot once or twice with it 223/556 and if you are still standing your going to be getting shot again...( assuming your a bad guy or a threat). IMHO

keep it clean and if it jams switch to your sidearm untill you can clear the jam.
    Whatever happened to the "guns are just tools" and "guns don't kill people" sentiments? By that argument the AK is "just" a gun like any other. And a really good one at that.
    geneticgamer likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links