AK47 vs AR15

This is a discussion on AK47 vs AR15 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can't decide on which is better for the long term. I worry about ammo shortage or these weapons being banned. Recently purchased a AK and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: AK47 vs AR15

AK47 vs AR15

Can't decide on which is better for the long term. I worry about ammo shortage or these weapons being banned. Recently purchased a AK and hasn't shipped yet and having seconds about getting a Colt AR instead. Huge price difference, but maybe it's worth it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    My personal view (which really doesn't count for much) is take the AK. The maintenance is ridiculously easy and it hardly ever needs cleaning. Plus it fires essentially a .308 bullet (7.62x39) as opposed to a .223/.556.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Since you are experiencing a high level of cognitive dissonance I suggest you cancel the order, and then spend adequate time exploring which platform will suit your needs best. Then buy.

Neither are going away THAT fast.

You will thank me later.

Wal*Marts have Colts LE 6920's in stock out here for $1,097. That is less than a bad mistake in the long run.

If you have experience with an M4/M16/AR type weapon I think the decision is crystal clear.

The only reason I bought my AK was my total lack of experience with the more complicated US platform, and price.
    CIBMike likes this.

Ask 1000 gun owners and you'll get 1000 different answers.

For me, both have different uses. If I were heading into a SHTF situation, I'd take the AK. It's easier to break down, and the design is more simplified.

For accurate shooting, the AR is a better weapon. I much prefer the AR sights over the AK style sights.

However, both are fun as hell at the range.

Remember that unless you plan on shooting Russian ammo, the AR will be more expensive to feed. I wouldn't buy anything but cheap Russian ammo for an AK. Also, a lot of people like to put all kinds of tactical stuff on ARs (I myself prefer a plain jane AR with either a carry handle or flip-up sights), while most AK owners prefer to leave things as stock. All of that tactical stuff costs money, so no doubt the AK will be cheaper in the long run.

No I have plenty of experience with the M16A2 rifle. They will charge me a 25% restocking fee if I cancel the order. Yes they made me put a 60% deposit down, but did not learn about the restocking fee until I viewed their website. Too me that is BS and bad customer service.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC0351 View Post
    No I have plenty of experience with the M16A2 rifle. They will charge me a 25% restocking fee if I cancel the order. Yes they made me put a 60% deposit down, but did not learn about the restocking fee until I viewed their website. Too me that is BS and bad customer service.
    The way prices will be going up you can hold on to it for a few months and make a buck or two when you sell it. I wouldn't take a 25% loss on a stupid fee.

Get it, shoot it, enjoy it. Then if you decide to move on, you sell it for a profit. What's not to like here? The only thing you'd lose money on is accessories, so until you are sure you're going to keep it, don't stock up on too many mags/add ons.

I prefer the AK47 over the AR15....what one did you buy?

I have an sks and an ar. I have yet to fire the ar but the sks uses the same ammo as the ak

Quote Originally Posted by accessbob View Post
    My personal view (which really doesn't count for much) is take the AK. The maintenance is ridiculously easy and it hardly ever needs cleaning. Plus it fires essentially a .308 bullet (7.62x39) as opposed to a .223/.556.
    Actually, the .308 is basically a 7.62x51 - so not quite.

And to anybody that might say anything, yes I know there's a difference between the .308 and 7.62x51.

But you're good with the AK. More reliable (not that ARs aren't reliable), and the ammo is cheaper. In SHTF type scenario an AK might be your best bet.

I'm an AR guy, though, so I'm working on building one of those now.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by 3wggl View Post
    I prefer the AK47 over the AR15....what one did you buy?
    The original post says he recently purchased the AK - just waiting for it to ship.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Ex Member
    I carried an AR for 6 years in the Marines, 2 of which were in Vietnam fighting the NVA, and VC, who were using the AK. I own an AK and would NOT switch to an AR. I saw more than a few AR's that were jammed up next to dead Marines. I NEVER saw, in spite of poor maintenance, an AK fail. I also saw 5' tall 90 pound guys take 3-4 hits from a AR and keep on fighting. An AK usually puts down BIG people. You want FIRST HAND ADVICE? You just got it.

I'm an AR guy and I wouldn't own any Russian weapon. I would use one if the SHTF but would find something asap

VIP Member
    Don't pay the restock. Get it and if you don't like it or rethink it sell in six months and you will be better than break even. They are not going to get any cheaper. By the way the AK is .311 bullet diameter. I have both, I can't shoot the AK very well compared to the AR. Probably a matter of practice. I don't spend any time with the AK.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The original post says he recently purchased the AK - just waiting for it to ship.
    I was asking which brand/make of AK47 he went with.

I agree. Accept it and avoid the 25% fee. Decide later!
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links