AR 15 recommendations

AR 15 recommendations

This is a discussion on AR 15 recommendations within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a $2500 budget that I'll be using to buy the highest aquality AR 15 rifle and scope I can acquire for that price. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: AR 15 recommendations

AR 15 recommendations

I have a $2500 budget that I'll be using to buy the highest aquality AR 15 rifle and scope I can acquire for that price. I know that I want an 18'' stainless match-grade barrel, but am open to suggestions beyond that. What brands and models would you recommend that I consider? Thanks in advance.

Buy exactly the same rifle as I have. It's the best. If it wasn't I wouldn't own it.
    Never mind that I don't have much experience with others. ... I like it so you should too!

Seriously...you've opened a can of worms again. There are LOTS of choices for top-tier AR-15's on the market. Most of them are excellent choices. Bravo Company, Lewis Machine and Tool, Daniel Defense, Colt are among the best. Troy, Spikes, S&W, Wyndham, Sig, PSA, and lots of others make excellent rifles as well.

Look around and decide what sort of AR you are looking for and what your intended purpose is. You have a generous budget to work with. I think you'll be able to find plenty of options.
    atctimmy and Drgnfly like this.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

VIP Member
    I think that with a $2500 dollar budget you can get just about anything you want. I suggest a budget of around 1200 for the rifle and around 1000 for a scope. That will leave you another 300 for mags and add ons.

Also, what do you want the AR for. Is it for HD? Is it for long range work? What do you envision as it's #1 role?
    oneshot likes this.

Sponsor
    If you had 2500 for just the AR you could get into a Noveske SPR Would be a pretty dang sweet gun and hard to beat.

I haven't researched much on stainless barrels, if you were willing to go with an 18" chrome lined barrel you could get into a custom Daniel Defense build with their S2W (strength to weight) barrel. https://danieldefense.com/ (custom build options from them as well, I called them a few days ago and they quoted me a 2 day turnaround time!)

You could also give BCM a shot, a high end manufacturer and they offer their SPR MK12 uppers in a variety of configurations. SPR Mk 12 Upper Receiver Half Groups

You could pair that with a good lower and throw in a very nice trigger, say a geissele trigger (I'm going for the SD-C) and have about $2000 into the rifle. However that would only leave $500 for the optic.

What type of scope are you looking at? 1-4x, 3-9x? ACOG? Aimpoint? What is the intended use of the rifle?

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think that with a $2500 dollar budget you can get just about anything you want. I suggest a budget of around 1200 for the rifle and around 1000 for a scope. That will leave you another 300 for mags and add ons.
    Just curious, what rifle would you suggest in the $1200 dollar range?

Thanks!
    Clay

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHTFGearLLC View Post
    Just curious, what rifle would you suggest in the $1200 dollar range?

Thanks!
    Clay
    BCM or Colt.

Something like this if he wants a flat top.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...0%20vtrx13.htm

Add in a lower, BCG & handle and you are "around" $1200.

Here's what I would spend the money on:

Daniel Defense DDM4 v3 or v5 (mid-length) - $1,500 or less with a little web searching effort.
    EOtech EXPS3-0 holographic weapon system & G33 STS magnifier - around $1,000 for both with a little searching and patience

You'll have an incredible rifle that is accurate and durable, and a combination of sights to hit what you need at a variety of ranges.

In alphabetical order Bravo Company, or Daniel Defense

meanwhile go checkout AR15 Armory.com

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    atctimmy likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    A Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT, Larue or Noveske will fill the bill along with an Aimpoint optic. As far as something with a "match grade" barrel, I would probably single out the Larue & Noveske. This is just my personal perception and I'm not basing it on anything other than that. A gunshop owner once told me that LMTs aren't great for accuracy but Pigman doesn't seem to have any difficulty with his LMT .308. If anyone has any experience with the LMT, I'd like to hear about the kind of accuracy you received.

Best of hope for you on your search.

Thanks for the suggestions and links. FYI, my intent is to have this as target rifle (needs to be accurate), as well as something that's fun to shoot off-hand and very reliable.

Finally, someone with a proper budget.

Figure $1800ish for the rifle, and the rest for accessories. You are going to find you are epic short on funds for the proper scope.

Centurion Arms Mk12 Upper w/Auto BCG $1480
    (it is not a 10 week wait, they are a little behind on that statement) - The real Mk12 issued barrel.
    Either build a lower (PSA has many a lower kit if you can find a lower) or buy one if you can find it for another $250 - $500.

BCM, DD, Noveske, or any MK12 builds.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Bravo Company and put this on it:

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scop...r-riflescopes/

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

Also, what do you want the AR for. Is it for HD? Is it for long range work? What do you envision as it's #1 role?
    +1 to this

Ars and 1911s are mac and cheese of the gun world. No matter how you fix it its still mac and cheese. I have a stag model 2 and Iam happy with it its been a reliable gun and it shoots better than me. And for $800. I am looking for a decent optic for work out to about 300 yrds Most likely the longest shot Ill be taking in my area. And the $800 price point leaves me a little room to purchase extra mags ammo and accesires. Imho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links