HD Shotgun For My Mother: Suggestions?

HD Shotgun For My Mother: Suggestions?

This is a discussion on HD Shotgun For My Mother: Suggestions? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My mother (who has never been a gun fan) is finally coming around. She's decided that it'd be smart to have a weapon for HD ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: HD Shotgun For My Mother: Suggestions?

Question HD Shotgun For My Mother: Suggestions?

My mother (who has never been a gun fan) is finally coming around. She's decided that it'd be smart to have a weapon for HD (CC'ing is still a long ways away with her - handguns in general as well). She's used a shotgun before, and knows the basics of how they work. I'm trying to help her find something that would be good for her to keep in the house in case something ever happened. She's almost 50, about 5'6", probably no more than 130 pounds (rough estimate, I have no idea her actual weight). She'd probably do best with a .410 or a 20 gauge. Pump action is much preferred (she likes the recognizable sound of the pump), and something with (legally) short barrel.

Any suggestions of a good, reliable, but relatively inexpensive shotgun that could fit these requirements?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Senior Moderator
    If you are set on a shotgun a Mossberg 500 special purpose or bantam in 20ga would be a good choice. I would try a pistol caliber carbine if I could find one
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Shotgun is preferred. Being that I'm several states away, I can't give my mom personal attention on selecting a firearm and training her with it. She already knows enough about shotguns to be comfortable with them, so it's the best choice for now. With time will come other weapons.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Mossberg 500 in .410. Reliable, more accessories than you could ever list....

And REALLY easy shooting.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Mossberg, 20 guage pump, youth stock.

Mossberg & Sons | 57110

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    My mother (who has never been a gun fan) is finally coming around. She's decided that it'd be smart to have a weapon for HD (CC'ing is still a long ways away with her - handguns in general as well). She's used a shotgun before, and knows the basics of how they work. I'm trying to help her find something that would be good for her to keep in the house in case something ever happened. She's almost 50, about 5'6", probably no more than 130 pounds (rough estimate, I have no idea her actual weight). She'd probably do best with a .410 or a 20 gauge. Pump action is much preferred (she likes the recognizable sound of the pump), and something with (legally) short barrel.

Any suggestions of a good, reliable, but relatively inexpensive shotgun that could fit these requirements?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    I did have to laugh ... when you said she's almost 50 ...... LOL, that's not close to being old.
    Anyway, my oldest sister is 5'4" tall, weight 90 lbs wet, 70 yrs old, and shoots a 12 ga all of the time. Would most women do what she does, probably not.

My .02 cents ..... 20 ga Mossberg "youth " model which has a shorter stock for her size & arm length, and has a decent recoil pad on it. It's also a bit lighter. I'm going on my granddaughter , who's 5'6" and it fits her perfectly. I would suggest letting her go see one , feel it, etc. and see what she thinks of it before buying it.

http://www.cabelas.com/pump-action-m...otguns-2.shtml

Some info :

Mossberg Pump Action Shotguns: 500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

Designed for younger shooters, the Mossberg shotguns in the 500 Bantam and 505 Youth Series are smaller and easier to handle than their larger counterparts. With 11 configurations available, this Mossberg shotgun series features:

• A full line of .410 bore, 20 and 12-gauge models
    • All 500® Bantam™ and 505 Youth™ 12 and 20-gauge models have EZ-reach™ forearm, shortened pistol grip, reduced LOP, shortened barrels and top mounted safety.
    • All 12 and 20-gauge 500® Bantam™ and 505 Youth™ models come with a drilled and tapped receiver, factory-ready for scope base and optics installation.
    • Select 12 and 20-gauge barrels are factory ported for reduced muzzle jump and felt recoil.
    • Interchangeable Accu-Choke™ tube set and wrench and X-Full choke tubes included on select models.
    • Free 10-year limited warranty

The Mossberg 500 Bantam and 505 Youth shotguns come with dual extractors, twin action bars, positive steel-to-steel lock-up, and anti-jam elevators which provide for reliable, smooth operation regardless of the shooter’s age. Plus, the 500 Bantam turkey model comes standard with fiber optic, fully adjustable front and rear sights which are perfect for low light situations.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Don't go with a pistol grip, too hard on the wrist. And be careful going too light weight. Remember, the lighter to gun = the heavier the recoil. (It's not the "Suggestions" of Physics, it's...the LAW!) Agree that it's tough to beat a youth-stocked Remington 870 or Mossy 500.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    I did have to laugh ... when you said she's almost 50 ...... LOL, that's not close to being old.
    Anyway, my oldest sister is 5'4" tall, weight 90 lbs wet, 70 yrs old, and shoots a 12 ga all of the time. Would most women do what she does, probably not.

My .02 cents ..... 20 ga Mossberg "youth " model which has a shorter stock for her size & arm length, and has a decent recoil pad on it. It's also a bit lighter. I'm going on my granddaughter , who's 5'6" and it fits her perfectly. I would suggest letting her go see one , feel it, etc. and see what she thinks of it before buying it.

Cabela's: Mossberg 500® Bantam™ and Super Bantam™ Youth Shotguns

Some info :

Mossberg Pump Action Shotguns: 500® Bantam™ & 505 Youth™ Series

Designed for younger shooters, the Mossberg shotguns in the 500 Bantam and 505 Youth Series are smaller and easier to handle than their larger counterparts. With 11 configurations available, this Mossberg shotgun series features:

• A full line of .410 bore, 20 and 12-gauge models
    • All 500® Bantam™ and 505 Youth™ 12 and 20-gauge models have EZ-reach™ forearm, shortened pistol grip, reduced LOP, shortened barrels and top mounted safety.
    • All 12 and 20-gauge 500® Bantam™ and 505 Youth™ models come with a drilled and tapped receiver, factory-ready for scope base and optics installation.
    • Select 12 and 20-gauge barrels are factory ported for reduced muzzle jump and felt recoil.
    • Interchangeable Accu-Choke™ tube set and wrench and X-Full choke tubes included on select models.
    • Free 10-year limited warranty

The Mossberg 500 Bantam and 505 Youth shotguns come with dual extractors, twin action bars, positive steel-to-steel lock-up, and anti-jam elevators which provide for reliable, smooth operation regardless of the shooter’s age. Plus, the 500 Bantam turkey model comes standard with fiber optic, fully adjustable front and rear sights which are perfect for low light situations.
    I never suggested that she (or being 50) is old! Just listed her age for reference. Some people might say "My mother" and mean an 85 year old woman, others could be only 40. So I specified her age just to provide some context.

She's shot 12 gauge before, and did NOT like it.

Also, in response to ghost tracker, I would NEVER go with a pistol grip (except when combined with the shoulder stock). Just bad news all around with those.
    I think something around 8lbs in .410 would probably be fine on weight and recoil.

Senior Moderator
    I would suggest a 20ga over a .410 if at all possible, but a .410 is better than a sharp stick
    Kilowatt3 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Yeah, and 20 gauge shells are cheaper as well. Have you priced .410 stuff lately?

*P.S. My Momma IS 82 years old, and can still run a shotgun like a sewing machine. Y'all would LUV my Momma!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Skip the .410... even the 3" shell has only 5 or 6 pellets, whereas the 20 gauge has up to 2 dozen pellets. I've seen ladies a lot smaller than your mom handle 20s quite nicely. And birdshot is OK for practice, but absolutely not for defensive uses... she'll need to get buckshot (#3 or larger) to keep on hand.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    This coming out of a .410 would make any bad guy rethink their decision.
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I never suggested that she (or being 50) is old! Just listed her age for reference. Some people might say "My mother" and mean an 85 year old woman, others could be only 40. So I specified her age just to provide some context.

She's shot 12 gauge before, and did NOT like it.

Also, in response to ghost tracker, I would NEVER go with a pistol grip (except when combined with the shoulder stock). Just bad news all around with those.
    I think something around 8lbs in .410 would probably be fine on weight and recoil.
    Understood. A Mossberg 500 & 505 .... weight 5.25 lbs .....
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    This coming out of a .410 would make any bad guy rethink their decision.
    http://www.winchester.com/Products/N.../pdx1-410.aspx
    Like a couple of previous posters, I'd be really inclined to go with a 20 over a .410, but have to admit - that PDX1 .410 load looks pretty robust! Wonder what the MV is, and how it patterns at HD ranges?

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Like a couple of previous posters, I'd be really inclined to go with a 20 over a .410, but have to admit - that PDX1 .410 load looks pretty robust! Wonder what the MV is, and how it patterns at HD ranges?

Regards,
    Jim
    Winchester says 750 ft/sec, the article (link below) says something less, and the total shot load (BBs and discs) is only 310 grains.

Taurus Judge PDX1 Ballistics – 2
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links