Windham Weaponry Factory Tour - Page 5

Windham Weaponry Factory Tour

This is a discussion on Windham Weaponry Factory Tour within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In my humble opinion if you're getting up to $1,500 on an AR you start to get diminishing returns on money to quality. I think ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Windham Weaponry Factory Tour

In my humble opinion if you're getting up to $1,500 on an AR you start to get diminishing returns on money to quality. I think the $1,000 to $1,200 is about right. I paid $1,050 for my LE6920 with Magpul furniture. As for Smith and Wesson I have heard good things about. It sounds like they have picked up their game here recently. I know this wasn't the case back in 2008. Where I work at that time we were switching out from Mini 14s to M4 carbines. They had picked SW M&P carbines. I'm not on range staff so I don't know all the specifics but I do remember the staff telling us that they were getting rid of the Smith and Wessons. I was told we had three different batches of rifles come in and each time they had different problems. It got to the point that the Smith and Wessons were replaced with another company. I'm not sure with what though.

Administrator
    This is one area where both Colt & Windham could do for a better finish prep on castings.
    I used to do Uber High Quality metal restoration, refinishing, & electro-plating Gold, Silver, Copper, Brass, Decorative Nicke,l Electroless Nickel, & Industrial Hard Chrome, etc. & a very modest amount of time on an abrasive belt would greatly clean up & improve the final appearance of both of these parts.
    Certainly (& admittedly) not an issue that (in any way) affects functionality but, I hate to see cast parts that have not had the casting seam lines completely removed.
    OK...so now I am being too picky. It's just a personal quirk of mine since I know better.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Yeah, black o-ring vs blue o-ring... detrimental, I understand - I'm not trying to change anyone's opinions, just expressing mine.
    Gotcha, same here. O-rings, gas port, buffer weight...all seems like minutiae.

But I just choose to follow what the TDP tells us. I grew up around cars...when I was working on mine and I was told to gap the plugs a certain way, I did it. Why? Because guys with more experience wrote a manual that told me to. Seemed like a nitpicky detail but the smallest thing can cause a problem.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    This is one area where both Colt & Windham could do for a better finish prep on castings.
    I used to do Uber High Quality metal restoration, refinishing, & electro-plating Gold, Silver, Copper, Brass, Decorative Nicke,l Electroless Nickel, & Industrial Hard Chrome, etc. & a very modest amount of time on an abrasive belt would greatly clean up & improve the final appearance of both of these parts.
    Certainly (& admittedly) not an issue that (in any way) affects functionality but, I hate to see cast parts that have not had the casting seam lines completely removed.
    OK...so now I am being too picky. It's just a personal quirk of mine since I know better.

You should see some of my old Colt's with fixed carrying handles. The lack of attention to detail inside the handle ara is pretty bad. Even on the newer M4 style rifles with removable carrying handles, inside you'll find the cast marks roughly ground down with grind marks all over the place on many.

In the end it's a service rifle so it doesn't bother me. Saying Colt is nicely finished as compared to the WW is funny to me though given how many Colt's I have and how spotty the final finishing is on a number of them. As long as they work I'm happy and my Colts and my WW's work great.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    In all due respect, when I spend $1,000-4,000 on something, you better believe I get "caught up in specs". Regardless of my occupation, I try to diligently spend my money. Especially when the amount in question is in the thousands. It's a weapon first and foremost; my life may depend on it one day. Slaying paper and steel is secondary.

And the aforementioned specs are there for a reason. More R&D and knowledge was put into the carbine than we can fathom, so IMO the TDP is a damn good metric by which to measure when purchasing.
    PREACH ON BROTHER MUNCH520, CAN I GET AN AMEN! I'm not rich, I work hard everyday for every penny I get like most everybody does, so when I get ready to spend several hundred or thousands of dollars on something, I spend countless hours researching so I can make an informed decision.

I spend around 3 months researching building an AR before I ever ordered my first part.
    Drgnfly likes this.

"Be industrious and frugal...and you will be rich"
    Last edited by munch520; November 29th, 2012 at 07:31 AM.
    Monotony is the awful reward for the careful

How can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods?

Lead Moderator
    I am surprised Windam doesn't use a torque wrench on the barrel nut. Yes I understand doing it over and over you can get a feel for close to a certain ft-lb. at any rate it seems Windham is looking to make decent product like they used to make Bushmasters. Thanks for the video MAC.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by CJM View Post
    I spend around 3 months researching building an AR before I ever ordered my first part.
    Me too! And just ordered everything 2 days ago :) Yay.

los
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I am surprised Windam doesn't use a torque wrench on the barrel nut. Yes I understand doing it over and over you can get a feel for close to a certain ft-lb...
    Rocky, has it been confirmed by Windham that they do not use a torque wrench or this just speculation because it is not seen in the short video..? Has anyone with credentials come forth with first hand information?

Thanks.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

After watching the video I have some respect for Windham Weaponry, whether their AR's are for military use or not doesn't really concern me personally. I recently purchased a DPMS because they were started in Minnesota and continue to produce them here, that was a pretty big part of my decision to buy one, they employ local people and bring money to the state. I guess that may be part of the impact that Windham has on me, I respect the story and that the majority of workers are there because someone cared enough not to let the factory sit empty.
    Yup, I respect the story of how WW got restarted, but it's product is simply Bushmaster with a different name on the receiver, which wasn't top quality to begin with. I am glad Americans got put back to work.

I think sometimes people get a little too caught up in specs and should spend more time actually enjoying their firearm at the range, where it counts. Pumping your chest that brand X rules is great and all, but I think any brand of AR from a reputable source is going to be more than enough for civilian use, or keeping your safe space occupied.
    Specs and standards are measures of quality. Mil spec isn't the end all and be all and isn't a true quality spec, but to discount it is pure folly. Mil spec for a military combat weapon is a spec that is a pretty big deal for the role it will play. But like I said earlier, just because I might not use my weapon in combat against another human being doesn't mean I shouldn't demand the best for my purchase. To me, the mil spec is how you build a weapon to a standard that is fit for military duty. That's the kind of proven spec and detail I want in my rifle whether it's used to impress the neighbors, kill some coyotes or deer, or to protect my home and family. To discount a standard that has served the military for decades in many different areas is quite funny. Is there better than mil spec ARs out there? Yes, but they sure as hell don't come from Windham Weaponry or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Some falsely believe every single aspect of mil-spec must be followed to have a reliable rifle. Certain things should be followed such as staked gas keys, a minimum of carpenters 158 steel used in the bolt construction (better materials do exist), etc. However there are countless rifles made by companies like Stag, Rock River, PSA, WW, S&W, etc. out there giving trouble free service in police patrol cars and in the hands of contractors like those employed by Academi. To think you need a Colt, LWRC, Daniels Defense, BCM, etc. to "bet your life on" is a bit misguided in my experience. If you can afford more, buy something more expensive. However if you're like many Americans and are constrained by budget, know that good alternatives to the $1500-$2500 rifles exist out there. They can be upgraded over time if you feel the need or they will give good service right out of the box.
    Mil spec weapons have a proven track record and I think that's why people are so passionate about supporting them. It isn't a need, it's a desire. If someone is shooting at me and someone tosses me an AR15 type rifle, I don't care at that moment in time what rollmark is on the side. But given the choice I will go with a company that either builds them for the military or a company that is nearly a clone. When a customer comes in and tells me they want to buy an AR15, I first ask the purpose and the budget. Plenty of guys around here want to get one to blast coyotes with. Fine, I steer them away from the Colt, BCM, LMT, DD, and give them Bushmaster, RRA, WW, Oly, DPMS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by munch520 View Post
    Gotcha, same here. O-rings, gas port, buffer weight...all seems like minutiae.

But I just choose to follow what the TDP tells us. I grew up around cars...when I was working on mine and I was told to gap the plugs a certain way, I did it. Why? Because guys with more experience wrote a manual that told me to. Seemed like a nitpicky detail but the smallest thing can cause a problem.
    Gas port and buffer weight have to do with the function of the weapon. O-rings aren't as much of a big a deal as the other two.
    remington79 likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Tubby45 don't forget about the Bolt Carrier. The weight in that matters to and the rifles/carbines with full auto BCs tend to run with more reliability. If you have a good insert and spring you won't need an O-ring.

[DELETED By Poster]

...sent from my mind, using telepathy!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by HardLuck682; November 29th, 2012 at 08:07 AM.

RKM
    If somebody want to save a few hundred dollars on a rifle that doesn't have specs that they don't care about, then, why would anybody care? If you're using your rifle for SERIOUS work and want to have the specs and superior crafstmenship, then by all means, spend more money. But for somebody who wants to just shoot their AR on the weekends, and want to save a couple hundred bucks, what's the problem?

I have nothing against cheaper rifles and nothing against more expensive rifles. They're priced accordingly for a reason. People will buy what they want and can afford.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Windham Weaponry Factory Tour

That's kind of what I was getting at. Some people will shoot their AR at paper 25 yards away, twice a year and buy an ACOG, make sure it's 100% mil spec, etc... then say buying a Windham is stupid.

Zombies don't care.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

VIP Member
    That's kind of what I was getting at. Some people will shoot their AR at paper 25 yards away, twice a year and buy an ACOG, make sure it's 100% mil spec, etc... then say buying a Windham is stupid.

Zombies don't care.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.
    Yes they do! Distinguished zombies will only allow you to shoot them in the head with a Colt!!
    ErnieNWillis likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links