Lightweight 308

This is a discussion on Lightweight 308 within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm in the market for a lightweight, short barrel bolt gun in .308 with a box magazine. Planning on running a suppressor. The Ruger Gunsite ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Lightweight 308

Lightweight 308

I'm in the market for a lightweight, short barrel bolt gun in .308 with a box magazine. Planning on running a suppressor.

The Ruger Gunsite Scout had all the features I'm looking for, but I'm going to use a conventional scope setup, so no need to pay extra for a rail and iron sights.

So my question is this... Are there any other rifles out there that that might fit my requirements?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Lightweight 308

the Ruger Gunsite is a good one......another would be the Steyr Mountain Rifle. I have one in .243, but it is made in .308 as well. it has a removable box magazine & is light weight.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Have you considered a traditional bolt gun with a synthetic stock and having a smith shorten the barrel a bit? There are lots of new offerings by the major manufacturers lately aimed at entry level deer hunters. I've got the Savage Edge/Axis in 308 as a secondary "beater" deer rifle and it shoots wonderfully and is very light weight at just 6.5 pounds. I put an EGW picatiny rail on it.
    Savage Arms

I think there are more or better options with the Mossberg, and Remington offerings too.
    Mossberg & Sons | 27230
    Just 6.75 pounds out of the box and has some nice features like an adjustable trigger.
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...untain-ss.aspx
    A bit more expensive, but 6.5 pounds and stainless to boot.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

Senior Moderator
    Be advised...

Dont get a rifle with a thin barrel if you plan on mounting a suppressor on it. Thin barrels tend to not be accrurate with a big heavy suppressor on it. Its the main reason that Remington quit offering their short barrelled verision of the Rem. 700 that was threaded...the barrel was to thin, thin enough that they had a flange machined on to it for the suppressor. It just didnt work out well.

I build suppressed rifles and rifles with short barreles that are threaded for suppressors. All have them have been wonderfully accurate, but I dont use a barrel that is less than 3/4 diameter just for the sake of accuracy.

Think about all the weight on the end of a thin barrell whipping around every time that you shoot it. Factor in the heat from each shot and as the barrell heats up, the point of impact being all over the place. With a sufficently thicker barrel, all of these factors are eliminated, plus, your suppressor has a much better shoulder in which to align itself on which futher increases accuracy.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lightweight 308

Good point. Is the Ruger barrel sturdy enough to support a can?

By the time I buy a regular rifle, then pay to get it cut down and threaded, I may be out the same money as just dropping $800 on the Ruger.

Senior Moderator
    Good point. Is the Ruger barrel sturdy enough to support a can?
    It'd be close. I looked at one yestereday. That barrrel is pretty thin.

By the time I buy a regular rifle, then pay to get it cut down and threaded, I may be out the same money as just dropping $800 on the Ruger.
    Depends. I do several rifles a week for suppressors. I only charge 75 bucks to cut and thread.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

True - I know very little about suppressors, but HotGuns seems to know what he's talking about and it makes perfect sense.
    Getting a custom barrel might be the ticket, but of course you are going to pay for that.

Lightweight 308

Can 10 round mags be had for any other bolts guns, like a 700?

Senior Moderator
    Yeah...you'd have to go aftermarket and they aint cheap.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Lightweight 308

Might go with a Remington SPS tactical and get it cut down to 16". Not having 10rnd mags isn't a deal breaker.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Suggestion: Shoot a "lightweight" .308 first.

I had a lightweight .30-06 that jarred my teeth loose. Had to add weight to make it shootable for more than a couple of shots.
    scgunlover1 and 10thmtn like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

LOL... that reminds me of my "project" mosin nagant. I reworked the stock.and shortened the barrel to 20". With the short stock and metal butt pad, it will let you know it's there
    Good luck with your quest.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Suggestion: Shoot a "lightweight" .308 first.

I had a lightweight .30-06 that jarred my teeth loose. Had to add weight to make it shootable for more than a couple of shots.
    I was thinking the same thing. "Be careful what you wish for."
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

For what you want, I think a 'custom' solution will fit your needs better than a production model. The posts by skunkworks and HotGuns are in line with my thinking... I'd suggest looking around for a Remington 700 action and re-barrel and stock it according to your needs. You might spend a little more but you'll be happier in the end and the pride of ownership in a gun built to your specs is just about priceless.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Some history of suppressed .308's.

Back in the late 70's. early 80's JD Jones worked with subsonic .308's for the sole purpose of making rifles quiet enough so that military snipers could take out sentries. He was tasked with improving the existing situation and upgrading what the military had in their arsenals, which at that time was very limited. Mostly, it was Spec-Ops that used them, and most people in the military weren't even aware of their existence.

He did lots of work with the .308, different powders, different bullets, all sorts of stuff. He came to the conclusion that small charges of powder in a big case just wasn't conducive to accuracy at all due to the powder being splayed out in the case which caused erratic ignition...which translated to large groups at extended ranges. He got the sound he was looking for, but the accuracy remained problematic.

He even fabricated .308 cases from steel that had reduced capacity's and this showed promise. The problem was, the military didn't want just one manufacturer to be able to produce the cases, and they were vert expensive, costing over 20 bucks or case. It just wasn't an ideal solution.

After much time and effort, he scraped that idea and eventually developed and patented what came to be know as the .300 Whisper. The first run used .221 fireball cases which were necked up to .30 caliber. He used the heavy 220 and 240 grain .30 caliber bullets because one, they had the best ballistic coefficient there was and two, he needed the weight to compensate for the fact that the bullets would be traveling at subsonic speeds. Eventually, he start using the .223 case because the 221 Fireballs case was scarce and there was a big failure rate when reforming the brass, he estimated that at least one third of production tended to split the necks when sized up from .221 to .30 caliber.

The .223 round showed no issues, was plentiful and easy to produce, you just cut the case at the neck and sized it up to .30 caliber. Failure rate was low. So he had a case that had an unlimited supply, was easy to make and fit the bill perfectly because the .220 and 240 grain bullet was actually longer than the case itself, which gave it just the right amount of space for powder when the bullet was put in the case. Using a low powder charge with good density and the fact that the powder stayed in one spot, made ignition very reliable which aided in some very accurate results.

Having worked with several police sniper platforms, the accuracy of the .308's have never been that great. Having built several rifles in the then .300 Whisper caliber, I can testify to the fact that they would shoot circles around any .308 that I have ever seen.

Several years ago we had a informal competition at a shooting range and around a several different police agencies were represented. The Arkansas State Police had some of their top guns there and there were a bunch of high dollar setups.
    Everyone shot their suppressed platforms and the results were recorded. I won that match with a .300 Whisper that I had built, using a Shilen match grade barrel, using 220 Sierra bullets and shooting it through a suppressor that I had built at that time on a Form 1. We had a sound meter that measured the decibels of the existing suppressors, and compared the results. My home built can was the quietest made and accuracy was excellent.

I said at that, to say this...

I think you need to reconsider the .308 and go with the .300 Blackout/Whisper which is more accurate and less problematic. If you want to use supersonic rounds you simply pop the right cartridge in it and shoot. If you want quiet, you do the same thing. This platform is very popular because it works. Its accurate and with a good can, it works. I've got more work than I can handle building Blackouts in both bolt action and AR rifles and I whacked a doe on opening day with an AR that I built with a 9" inch barrel and using an AAC Cyclone suppressor. For those that doubt the killing ability of such a slow moving round, that 220 grain bullet took out the top of the heart, tumbled, exited out the other side and made a mess of things. This was a measured 153 yard shot and the other deer with it never moved until the shot deer dropped and hit the ground.

Several companies are making the Blackouts now. Hornady,Remington and a few other companies are producing the ammo, so its not hard to get.

And added plus on the bolt actions, if you choose to pursue it, is that you can use cast bullets that are very accurate and cheap if you cast them yourself. If you use a suppressor just be sure to one of the newer used friendly designs that comes apart so that you can clean them.

I really think you'll be happier with the .300 Blackout/Whisper concept because you wont have the issues with it that the .308 is known for on suppressed use.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links