Assistance building a NYS Compliant AR15 . .

This is a discussion on Assistance building a NYS Compliant AR15 . . within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yes, I'm new to rifles. I had no clue whatsoever about an AR15 other than seeing them in movies, "M4's". That being said, I have ...

Thread: Assistance building a NYS Compliant AR15 . .

Assistance building a NYS Compliant AR15 . .

Yes, I'm new to rifles. I had no clue whatsoever about an AR15 other than seeing them in movies, "M4's". That being said, I have been doing my homework. (see links below)

How to Build An AR-15 Video | World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS - This has been very helpful so far.

How to: Building a NY Legal AR15 - Also helpful.

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM - This as well.

I was originally going to try and buy a S&W M&P 15T or Sport, or look for something comparable to buy that is already post ban legal in NYS and be done with it. Most of those rifles are at least $1200 after all is said and done. With the exception of the Troy Defense 5.56 from Dick's Sporting goods, which I was able to go look at yesterday. It seemed pretty good for the Blackfriday price of $799, however the store I went to will not have them in stock. I'm going out tonight to see if I can find them in stock at another local Dick's Sporting goods...

That being said, I would prefer to build my own rifle so I have the knowledge to be able to deal with any issues that may arise when I shoot the rifle. Also because it will be something that I myself had built, obviously everyone can agree it is nice to shoot something that you had a hand in building. I have been doing research for a couple of months now, and it seems like I should be able to build an AR myself without any issues, the only issues I see so far are getting the actually parts ordered and making sure everything works together. Imagine that, ordering stuff online in this day and age is the hardest part of something I want to do lol.

Does anyone think this is a bad idea and that I should just buy something that comes in a box all complete? I've seen many users that have built their own AR's for less than $1500 easily...but not many that were in NY. If it's something that I can achieve as well, and be able to get everything NYS compliant, build it myself and be around $1000... I'd be extremely happy.

So far I have a good idea of how thing's should go for me to be able to build my own NYS compliant AR15. Yes NY sucks... I've come to terms with having no bayonet lug, which is no big deal. I'm okay with having the stock pinned, the muzzle break pinned as well.

Here are my issues :
    1) It's increasingly hard to find anything in stock, anywhere.
    2) Not many sites offer shipping to NY, the only sites that do are the ones able to pin the stock, if I'm looking at a complete lower, or sites that offer gunsmithing to pin the muzzle break to the barrel before it is shipped.

I have found this combo on JSE's website :

Grizzly (LAR Manufacturing) Assembled AR15 Lower Receiver Without Stock - Black Friday Special! - Stripped lower

Unassembled 16" Wilson Arms 1x7 Moly M4 4Rail HG RHGB LPK 6 Pos Stock Rifle Kit - Black Friday Special! - Rifle kit

Does anyone have any comments about that combo ^.

From the PSA website I have looked at :

PSA 16'' M4 Premium Black Friday Upper - Black Friday Upper Sale - AR-15 - Upper ( I do not think this will be shipped to me in NY because it has a flash hide.)

PSA CTR Lower Build Kit - Lower Build Kits - Lower Parts - AR-15 - Lower build kit

and I was looking into finding a stripped lower - if anyone has suggestions or links of ones that would work.

Basically I'm looking for any suggestions or help in finding some parts to order. I guess any lower that I find, stripped or completed should do the job, just not sure how I go about buying a complete lower that is not NYS compliant. Is it hard to have a lower 'pinned' if I find a stripped lower, and buy a LPK as well as a stock and just take it to a gunsmith for it to be pinned?

And any suggestions as far as finding a complete upper that is NYS compliant or a company that offers the service to make it NYS compliant ?

I've checked everywhere...BCM , CMMG , Spike's ...etc.

the BCM I found is, BCM 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group - not sure if I would be able to have that NYS compliant.

For anyone that took the time to read the ramblings that I typed out above, and has anything helpful to contribute either opinion or some links to get this build going for me. I'm very appreciative!

2. Remove Ads

http://www.beikirchs.com/PDF/blackfriday.pdf

Not sure where you're located in NY, but Beikirchs is/was offering some pretty good deals on Stag rifles. These are NY compliant.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    You might want to check here......... Welcome to Windham Weaponry, Inc.

Windham was started by the old ceo of Bushmaster and employs former Bushmaster workers.

They sell NY ban compliant "M4"s for about $1000 MSRP ( also uppers and parts ).

You would have to have your local FFL order a complete rifle from the factory.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The easiset way is to move elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links