AK for HD or just plain fun..

This is a discussion on AK for HD or just plain fun.. within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Any body here running an AK variant for HD? I'm looking at getting one, mainly for fun. Wondering where you got it and how reliable ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 1 old 0311
  • 4 Post By HotGuns

Thread: AK for HD or just plain fun..

Any body here running an AK variant for HD? I'm looking at getting one, mainly for fun. Wondering where you got it and how reliable it is.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You can go cheap, WASR, and get the same reliability as the big buck toys. Actually for HD an AK is a bit overkill. Get a Maverick 12 gauge.
    thoricuncle likes this.

I do have a remington 870 for HD. I think this is just going to be for entertainment and stress relief purposes.

I have an Arsenal SGL21 and love it. They're a bit more expensive than some though ($800-850).

For plain fun, they can't be beat. The ammo is cheap, you get a nice flash and bang.

As far as HD; it is great. Be sure to use hollow point or frangible bullets. FMJ 7.62 penetrates too much to be used in either an urban or suburban setting.

Re: AK for HD or just plain fun..

I've wanted to build a SBR out of a Draco for a while because that would be an ideal sized home defense gun. James Yeager just did a video on this setup a few days ago and now I am on that bandwagon again. Make sure you do the proper paperwork and pay the appropriate person fees before you go this route though.

sent via iCarry

Senior Moderator
    Here is my "HD" AK. Its a Saiga 12 gauge shotgun, magazine fed. Its short, easy to handle and can shoot 5 rounds a second.
    That ought to cover anything I need for home defense.

Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:44 PM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a WASR that's loaded with 30 rounds in the closet with a Surefire Millinium light with pressure switch. It lights up the front sight post well. I also have an Aimpoint for when I go to the range. They are super fun. Go to Armslist for your area and there should be many for sale.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

RKM
    My AK is basically my backup to my AR. I don't really have either for HD. They're more for the collapse of humanity ;) My main objective for ALL of my firearms, is FUN! Self defense is just a plus.

If I had to buy another AK, I'd probably get a 5.45 '74 style. But if you're going to have only one, I'd suggest the ol' 7.62x39 round.

The right AK is reliable and effective with in it's limits. It is not a long range shooter by a very effective close quarters weapon.
    Simple but some what bulky and heavy but you are not carrying it all day. The Ammo use to be cheap but is going up.
    If you must shoot a BG with it he is likely done for. Just about everyone I know has at least 1 in their stash.
    It is not my primary for anything but if it was the first weapon I got to I would have no problem using it. The ones I currently own I have had for over 25 years.
    Today I would not buy them because I have changed my buying habits I buy only weapons made by a US company that is also US owned.

You bet they are fun to shoot.

Links