AR Platform, but 7.62 x 39mm ?

This is a discussion on AR Platform, but 7.62 x 39mm ? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey Folks! I like the looks and feel of the AR type platform; does anyone make a model chambered in 7.62 x 39mm? I already ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By discoboxer
  • 1 Post By RKM
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 2 Post By Chief1297
  • 1 Post By dbglock
  • 2 Post By MilitaryArms
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: AR Platform, but 7.62 x 39mm ?

Question AR Platform, but 7.62 x 39mm ?

Hey Folks!

I like the looks and feel of the AR type platform; does anyone make a model chambered in 7.62 x 39mm?

I already have an SKS and tons of 7.62 x 39mm; I'm trying to avoid ammo logistics issues.

So:

1. Does anyone make a good model chambered in 7.62 x 39mm?

2. Is this even worth attempting? Is it better so stick with .223 or 5.56mm if you're going AR?

What Say You?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

There are a few companies making one in 7.62x39, I believe DPMS has been doing it for just as long as they have been doing the 6.8 SPC. I have a DPMS lower w/ a YHM company upper in 6.8SPC, surefire vertical light grip and Eotech holograph sight.

I have one,make sure you get one with a good bolt,after only about 200 rounds I had an Ear break off the bolt,IIRC mine is from Model 1 sales
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

AR Platform, but 7.62 x 39mm ?

Daniel Defense makes a few models in that chamber. Their ARs are top notch and tough as nails!

https://danieldefense.com/

Plan on getting one chambered in 7.62 soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mano3 likes this.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

RKM
    It's best to get one with a lower receiver that's designed for 7.62x39 because of the taper of the magazines. With a typical AR lower, the magazine is forced to go straight into the receiver. The mags are more "L" shaped rather than a smooth continuous curve. This can cause reliability problems. I have seen 7.62x39 specific lowers that solve this problem. I can't recall who makes them. You can Google "AR-47". It will take AK mags, so they're not drop free like most AR lowers. But they provide a much more reliable feed angle than a normal AR lower with a 7.62x39 drop free mag.

In the AR platform, I'd stick with 5.56. If you must do another caliber in the AR platform with an AR15 lower receiver and don't want 5.56, you can always go with 5.45x39, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8SPC or .300 Blackout.

Why not just with the AK platform if you're trying to keep calibers simple?

I agree with RKM. Just buy a high(er) end AK (Russian, Bulgarian or Valmet) & don't mix your rifle/ammo platforms. Seems simpler to me.
    mano3 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Good points on the AK option.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

The ruger mini 30 shoot that round and is a fine weapon...jus sayin...
    mano3 and atctimmy like this.
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

I turned my SKS into a black rifle with the help of mighty Tapco. I mean please, they don't make 'em like they did 50 years ago! This gun's a beast. It's not only accurate (I use iron sights) but powerful. I hit a swinging metal target attached to a bar supported by A-frames like a sawhorse -- pretty heavy frame -- and that little hunk of lead knocked the entire frame back 10 ft from where it was. You'd need a gorilla swinging an 8-lb sledge to recreate that. So consider "modernizing" your SKS!
    mano3 likes this.

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Sig 556R. Early release had some issues. Sig has it fixed now. Looks to be Good Stuff.
    My cats support the Second Amendment.

www.inshadowinlight.com

"Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    Rock River Arms now makes an AR (LAR-47) that takes AK mags and is chambered for 7.62x39.

It solves the problem of using modified AR magazines which are notoriously unreliable. How well the LAR-47 works is unknown to me as I've yet to get one to the range. I hope to next year.
    atctimmy and mano3 like this.
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
    Rock River Arms now makes an AR (LAR-47) that takes AK mags and is chambered for 7.62x39.

It solves the problem of using modified AR magazines which are notoriously unreliable. How well the LAR-47 works is unknown to me as I've yet to get one to the range. I hope to next year.
    Ooooh, I like the looks of that. Alas, I think my wife would kill me if I bought another black rifle.
    mano3 likes this.

I own a Colt chambered in 7.62 x 39 mm. They don't make them anymore (below I think is the reason why), but other companies do. I keep this weapon simply as a collector's item.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend this caliber in the AR platform. I have the 30 rd mags and they tend to jam on occasion. This platform was just not intended for this round. If you are in love with the round, you will never beat a good AK.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Links