What is a "gas key" for? - Page 2

What is a "gas key" for?

This is a discussion on What is a "gas key" for? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Skygod Now, somebody explain "gas rings".................. They are like blowing smoke rings but only different...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is a "gas key" for?

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Now, somebody explain "gas rings"..................
    They are like blowing smoke rings but only different
    Skygod likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Ex Member
    Get a AK and you don't have to worry about 'fine tuning.' Just feed it ANY kind of ammo and it WILL fire.

VIP Member
    This sounds all so very technical and complicated.
    Why couldn't they have just left well enough alone and stopped at cap and ball!!!
    I'm just gonna go sit in the corner and be still now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Does this look all good? No idea what I'm looking for
    Attached Images

What is a "gas key" for?

Doesn't look like much staking if you ask me. I'm no expert however/

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    Doesn't look like much staking if you ask me. I'm no expert however/
    Great. Now I'm gonna obsess over it

I am SO tempted to answer the OP's question "to let the gases out"... But no, I'll put a cork in it.

Your pic shows the gas key bolt heads as barely staked (although it's a little fuzzy). The intent of staking is to hold the head of the bolt captive by adjacent structure. There are many ways to stake fasteners; the common means on AR gas keys it to deform the metal adjacent to the bolt heads so that it 'dents' the bolt head, thereby locking it in place. This is typically done with a chisel or a punch, but there's a great tool out there called the MOACKS (for "mother of all key staking") which a lot of gunsmiths have adopted.

Realistically, unless you shoot hard and shoot a lot, just periodic inspection of your gas key bolts will suffice. If you life in a combat zone and your life depends on utmost reliability from your gun, then maybe get the staking re-done.

Here's a pic of a properly staked gas key - compare it to yours.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

He is new to AR's so we over ;load him with information but soon it will all come together and make sense.
    I did away with the need for all that no more DI

So do you guys suggest I do something myself to it?

I want to be certain it never causes a problem. Can I stake it with normal tools?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    That looks well staked to me. The idea is that the metal is displaced to hold the bolts and prevent them from loosening. If you bolts can't move - it's staked properly. I wouldn't suggest getting out an allen wrench and trying to unscrew them though. Don't worry about it. Look up some pictures of improper stake jobs and you'll feel great about yours. If you want to "improve" it yourself - you'll want a cold chisel, a vise, a hammer, and some eye protection. I'd leave it alone if it were mine.

Thanks austin.

Why are there even bolts there if they are never meant to be removed? Why not just have nothing there?

Don't worry about it is just fine you never have to deal with it.
    With a good AR if you clean it when it Needs it take reasonable care of it you should have no problems. You will enjoy it for years, it will protect you well and you still past a fine weapon on to your kids.

Thanks austin.

Why are there even bolts there if they are never meant to be removed? Why not just have nothing there?
    It makes the manufacturing process easier. The gas key is what unlocks the bolt. (That's sort of a joke...but it's also true.) The bolt carrier itself is a solid piece of forged steel that is machined - it would be almost impossible to machine a bolt carrier with the gas key already a part of it. I'm not a machinist, maybe it can be done. But it would certainly cost a lot more.

When you disassemble your bolt carrier group to clean it, take a look at how it works and gain a better understanding. I'm sure there are plenty of better descriptions of what goes on than I could type up off the top of my head.

These are guesses based on my experience....I didn't design the thing.

Austin

Gas rings are used in that "piston" method described above, just like car pistons they should seal good and allow no gas beyond them. A simple test is to place the bolt assy. upside down in the unlocked/ extended position, resting on the bolt. if the bolt falls under the carriers weight, its time to replace your rings. Easy to do, just make sure that during maintenance as well, that the ends of each ring are staggered. I hope I explained it well enough. if you want pics let me know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links