What is a "gas key" for?

This is a discussion on What is a "gas key" for? within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AdBro Thanks austin. Why are there even bolts there if they are never meant to be removed? Why not just have nothing ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What is a "gas key" for?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    Thanks austin.

Why are there even bolts there if they are never meant to be removed? Why not just have nothing there?
    Because sometimes stuff happens. Cheaper to replace a gas key than a whole carrier. Sometimes removal is the only way you will get an obstruction out (primer).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

pix plz. but mine is a direct gas, is that the same?

I am new to building AR's and have found Patrick Sweeney has written a great series of books that easily explains in detail the internal workings of the AR, and yet writes in an easy to read manner. The book "Gunsmithing the AR-15, Hot to Maintain, Repair Accessorize" is one of the best easy to read detailed manual I have ever read. It is on my "Must Get" recommendation for anyone wanting to really learn the AR.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

What part now?

Take your BCG apart if you want to see the internals. Part of the simple filed stripping.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sticks - I think he was asking for the pictures mentioned by CYCOUSMVMC on page 2.

AdBro - All AR-15s are "piston" operated. In the DI (direct impingement) type - the gas pushes against the gas rings on the bolt, inside the bolt carrier group. This creates a brief forward pressure on the bolt which aids in unlocking, as well as pushing the bolt carrier group rearward, which causes the bolt to rotate because of the bolt cam pin. So the "piston" is actually the bolt, the "piston rings" are the gas rings, and the "cylinder" is the bolt carrier group.

What CYCOUSMVMC is talking about is making sure that all your gas rings are staggered on your bolt - if they are all lined up then gas will leak through. So usually putting the middle ring 180 degrees away from the outer 2 makes the most sense for preventing gas leakage. Also - once you have cleaned (thoroughly) and reassembled your bolt carrier group, you'll want to make sure that the bolt can move forward and backward within the bolt carrier group. Usually if you hold the rear of the bolt carrier group tightly and give it a good flick with your wrist it will allow the bolt to slide outward. It needs to be outward (unlocked) in order for the bolt cam pin to slide into the upper receiver. Also - if your gas rings are very worn, the bolt will just "fall" to the unlocked position. This is an indication that the gas rings need to be replaced.

Hope this helps....

Austin

The gas piston style does not have any of that don't need it . Yes your is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post

What CYCOUSMVMC is talking about is making sure that all your gas rings are staggered on your bolt - if they are all lined up then gas will leak through. So usually putting the middle ring 180 degrees away from the outer 2 makes the most sense for preventing gas leakage. ...
    Overrated. Same with engine rings. They rotate - can't be avoided. Besides once they are in the sleeve, they squeeze the gap together. Leakage happens even on brand new, but it is minimal.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

A good resource:

AR-15 - AR15.COM

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links