Magpul AR15 BAD Lever

Magpul AR15 BAD Lever

This is a discussion on Magpul AR15 BAD Lever within the Defensive Rifles & Shotgun Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; For anyone that has this add-on I would appreciate your thoughts on this....... Magpul B.A.D. Lever @ 2010 Shot Show - YouTube...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sticks

Thread: Magpul AR15 BAD Lever

Magpul AR15 BAD Lever

For anyone that has this add-on I would appreciate your thoughts on this.......
    Magpul B.A.D. Lever @ 2010 Shot Show - YouTube
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I haven't seen the magpul one, but I have a buddy who has an off brand version of it. It's a handy little thing. He got it for free after the item he originally ordered was on back order, as a "Sorry about that" gift.

It's completely unnecessary IMHO, but if you've got the few extra bucks, go ahead and try it out. It's cheap enough that if it doesn't work, you're not out a whole lot.

I'll get a hold of my buddy and find out the brand of his and get back to you about it.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Crowman. I do not have a BAD lever on my rifles however I have used them on other rifles.

The concept make sense. One handed/finger manipulation of the weapons bolt. Some have had issues where they hit the BAD lever not meaning to and it locked the bolt to the rear. I run Gen 1 redi mags on my rifle and it makes it more difficult to get to the bolt release. Once home I will install one of these and see how it works.

Troy Industries also makes one of their own.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I have one and I love it. As a right handed shooter who enjoys range time it works great. I shoot with a bipod typically, and I just lift the gun with my right hand, change magazines, tap the BAD lever to drop the bolt and good to go.

It does take some getting used to. If you are not 100% on where your mag release is, then I can see where someone could hit it and drop the bolt. I did that a few times getting used to it, but I have yet to ever lock it back.

It's a nice convenience, but if I were to do some serious training with my AR, I'd likely remove it so that I could ensure I'm not getting comfortable with a feature that the platform doesn't natively support.

I was just looking at these tonight. I like the concept too. I was thinking of getting the Troy one to put on my Troy carbine. I'm still relatively new to training on the AR platform.
    I wonder if it is better to learn to use it now or train without and then learn to use it later. I'm a gadget guy, but I like a clean carbine as well.

Waiting for more of the experienced and the experts to weigh in.
    I'll keep my freedom, my liberty, and my guns. You can keep the change.

I have the Troy and the BAD. I'd go with the BAD - it has a significantly better mounting system. The Troy is flawed by not completely enclosing the standard bolt release paddle, ergo it has movement regardless of how tight you get those itty bitty set screws then strip out the sockets. The only thing I don't like about the BAD is that it does not stick out on the right side as far as the Troy, a little harder to find & manipulate.

I have yet to have a problem with bolt lock on either (4k+ on my Troy and 2 advanced classes, 1200+ on the BAD and 1 class).

Regardless of which one you choose, LEARN HOW TO OPERATE A STOCK RIFLE PROFICIENTLY! You never know when you will be obliged to grab a rifle that is not your own and find yourself lost trying to manipulate ambi functions that are not there.
    tacman605 likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I like them. I have had both the Magpul and the Tactical Link versions on my rifles, I prefer the Tactical Link version. I prefer how it sits in the trigger guard and I think it mounts more securely.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Magpul AR15 BAD Lever

As a lefty I debated it for a while, but also find it quite useful.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Have it, love it, can't believe it's not "stock" at this point.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I had them on my rifles for a while back when they were first released. I will not use them now. There are too many people experiencing issues with them and locking the bolt back now is really not that hard, nor is releasing it. One tell-tale sign that these aren't always a good idea is that Travis Haley no longer uses them since leaving Magpul.

Now, I tripped and hit the ground during a drill with one of these. I immediately took a knee and continued the drill. After two or three rounds, the bolt would hold open, so I'd hit it and fire again. This happened again. I looked at the rifle and noticed the BAD lever was bent inward and the rear plate had broken. The bolt catch was being held open just enough that it would catch every few rounds.

Had I tried to bend it back, there was a possibility I would have snapped the bolt catch. So, I had to remove it as you normally would. Had this been a more serious situation instead of training, I could have been in a real mess. And, since I think if you're going to modify the manual of arms of one of your rifles, you should do it to all of them, I had to remove them all and not just use them on a training rifle.

For me, the marginal reward is certainly not worth the serious risk. I only experienced the bolt not locking back a few times over many thousands of rounds, so that wasn't much of a concern, though anyone using these should test their rifles for this issue.

There are pics floating around on m4carbine that i posted when this happened. I think I started a thread about it, so it shouldn't be hard to find for those interested.

Another tell-tale sign that these aren't the best addition out there, is that I can't think of a single firearms trainer, at least respectable LE or military trainer, using one of these on their rifles. There may be one or two, but I can't think of any.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Have it, love it, can't believe it's not "stock" at this point.
    I agree it should be stock or given when purchasing so we have the option of either installing it or not............

Thanks to all for the feedback............
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array MilitaryArms's Avatar
    For range use I think they're fine. I would not put one on a self defense rifle as there's no real need for it and it only adds an additional failure point in the system.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!
    Please visit my YouTube channel: The Military Arms Channel

I have one on one of my AR's and only see it being an advantage if you are running through lots of mags really fast.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Sponsored Links